Coconut oil (vs olive oil)

What oil? Which vinegar? What about sugar?
panacea
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Coconut oil

Post by panacea »

if you're asking about the dandruff fungal problem, it's the caprylic acid that does it and it's in coconut oil (all kinds of it)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Even though Wikipedia claims that caprylic acid is "a minor constituent of coconut oil and palm kernel oil",
there is 7.5% (USDA) to 7.6% (Souci et al) caprylic acid in coconut oil.
(and 3.3% in palm kernel oil)
Wiki wrote:Caprylic acid is also used in the treatment of some bacterial infections. Due to its relatively short chain length it has no difficulty in penetrating fatty cell wall membranes, hence its effectiveness in combating certain lipid-coated bacteria, such as Staphylococcus aureus and various species of Streptococcus.
Wiki: "It is found naturally in the milk of various mammals", which, to me, suggests that the caprylic acid levels in milk are substantial,
but that is not the case, at all:

0.12% in ewe's milk (sheep milk)
0.08% in goat's milk
0.08% in buffalo milk
0.06% capric acid (which is not the same!) in human milk
0.05% in raw cows milk
0.004% in camel milk
bbdave

Post by bbdave »

I have been using this coconut oil for the past couple months.
http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Extra-Virgi ... l-54-fl-oz
Compared to EVOO, coconut oil goes down smoother for me. The EVOO usually leaves a sharp acrid sensation on the back of my throat, whereas the coconut oil is almost like butter, but healthy.
I'm not that susceptible to acne, so I usually add the coconut oil and my juices in a blender. If EVOO does not work so well for you, and you need more fat in your diet, I would recommend the coconut oil.
DavidBlack

Coconut oil (Is this an alright brand?)

Post by DavidBlack »

http://nutiva.com/products/coconut-oil- ... ts-nutiva/

It seems like it should be okay, but I've found that many coconut oils are heated during production to a level above what is acceptable for this diet. Do any of you have experience with this brand?

Also, is there any particular reason that olive oil is recommended for consumption over other oils when adhering to the Acne Sample Diet?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Coconut oil (Is this an alright brand?)

Post by RRM »

is there any particular reason that olive oil is recommended for consumption over other oils when adhering to the Acne Sample Diet?
Mainly because there are very different oils available that may contain way too high levels of linolenic acid (eg rape seed oil) or anti nutrients (oils from kernels),
for example.
Its not that olive oil is the best (maybe it is), but more that many oils should be avoided.
Virgin olive oil is the standard recommended oil on this diet.
Olive oil is very high in oleic acid (72%, an omega-9), which is a mono-unsaturated fatty acid that inhibits lipoxidation,
and does not cause an imbalance (omega-3 / omega-6, or saturated / unsaturated)
Olive oil also contains
1% omega-3 (poly-unsaturated)
8% omega-6 (poly-unsaturated)
1% omega-7 (mono-unsaturated)
13% saturated faty acids (arachidic acid, stearic acid, palmitic acid)

Coconut oil mainly contains saturated fatty acids
45% lauric acid
17% myristic acid
9% palmitic acid
8% caprylic acid
6% capric acid
3% stearic acid

plus 7% oleic acid and 2% omega-6 (LA)
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

Somehow I tolerate refined coconut oil better then virgin coconut oil.
For people that want to include CO in their diet, but don't like VCO, this may be a good option.
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

is it ok to consume cold press, virgin coconut oil, which is made from copra?
Can someone explain me, what are difference between EXTRA virgin and virgin coconut oil? could it be, that only EXTRA virgin is healthy and made from fresh coconuts?
i'm confused right now.

"High-quality copra contains about 65% to 72% oil, and oil made from the copra is called crude coconut oil. Crude coconut oil is processed from copra by expeller press and solvent extraction. It is not considered fit for human consumption until it has been refined, which consists of neutralizing, bleaching and deodorizing it at high heat with a vacuum. The remaining oil cake obtained as a by-product is used for livestock feed"
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Maybe virgin and extra-virgin is the same?

Wiki:
Virgin coconut oil (VCO) can be produced from fresh coconut meat, milk or residue. Producing it from the fresh meat involves removing the shell and washing, then either wet-milling or drying the residue and using a screw press to extract the oil. VCO can also be extracted from fresh meat by grating and drying it to a moisture content of 10–12%, then using a manual press to extract the oil. Producing it from coconut milk involves grating the coconut and mixing it with water, then squeezing out the oil. The milk can also be fermented for 36–48 hours, the oil removed, and the cream heated to remove any remaining oil. A third option involves using a centrifuge to separate the oil from the other liquids. Coconut oil can also be extracted from the dry residue left over from the production of coconut milk
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

RRM wrote:Maybe virgin and extra-virgin is the same?
i hope it's the same oil.
RRM wrote:... and drying it to a moisture...
At what temperature?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Emeira wrote:
RRM wrote:... and drying it to a moisture...
At what temperature?
That depends. Some drying methods only involve sunlight exposure.