Freezing Brazil Nuts

About consuming nuts (and seeds)
mballinger
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Freezing Brazil Nuts

Post by mballinger »

Does freezing brazil nuts create "dirty proteins"?

I have been preserving my brazil nuts by keeping them frozen but have read in the Wai's book that freezing foods, as well as cooking them, creates dirty protein.
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Brazil nuts (in their shell) have a very long shelf life. I don't think you need to freeze them.
Negativity is the cult of the weak
avo

Post by avo »

If you try to crack the brazil nuts while they are still frozen, it is much easier. The shell will shatter, but the nut inside will remain solid and in one piece.

Good question, though I am not sure. Probably will get the common answer: Negligible effect if you are not susceptible to acne.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Freezing Brazil Nuts

Post by RRM »

mballinger wrote:Does freezing brazil nuts create "dirty proteins"?
Im sorry that i cannot be more specific, but we actually dont know; there are no scientific studies regarding this, but we suspect that it might. At the time we were under the impression that a specific article did indicated this, but it did not clearly do so.
mballinger

Post by mballinger »

RRM wrote:
mballinger wrote:Does freezing brazil nuts create "dirty proteins"?
Im sorry that i cannot be more specific, but we actually dont know; there are no scientific studies regarding this, but we suspect that it might. At the time we were under the impression that a specific article did indicated this, but it did not clearly do so.
RRM,

There is a reason my instinct tells me it is OK to freeze nuts & seeds in particular. I used to be more into sprouting ... and I would never have a problem sprouting seeds (or sproutable nuts) after they had been frozen. This tells me the life force is fully intact and the cellular structure is as it should be.

After further reviewing Wai's book, she also says that Brazil Nuts should not even be refrigerated.

I have basically given up Brazil Nuts for the time being because too many of the nuts seemed to be bad.

I'm using Bee Pollen now ... and mix it with a bit of liquified coconut oil which I then allow to harden. I keep this mixture cool. It is ambrosia ... a surprisingly yummy combination. I use this during the day as my fat because I am mostly sipping undiluted fruit juices during the day (without oil added to it). I've been using lots of melon juices during the summer.

I was worried about the Bee Pollen for a while because the folks I purchase it from told me they keep it frozen. Prior to storage, they dry the pollen at room temperature using overhead fans. The bee pollen is from the pristine Canadian Peace River Valley and is the best quality I have found for the price. I buy it in bulk 5 lb. bags.

Should I be concerned that because the bee pollen has been kept frozen that the proteins are no longer "clean"? Would it be important to find a supplier of bee pollen that simply keeps it refrigerated rather than frozen? In any case, 1 Tblsp. of bee pollen has about 3-1/2 grams of protein. So if I eat 3 Tblsps. a day (which I do), that is less than 15 grams of potentially "dirty" protein. I must admit that it bothers me a bit to think that the protein could possibly be "dirty." I'd like to think that some foods are more tolerant of freezing without being damaged ... like nuts, seeds, and (hopepfully!) bee pollen.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

mballinger wrote:After further reviewing Wai's book, she also says that Brazil Nuts should not even be refrigerated.
Because there is no need to. They are designed to last up to years.
I have basically given up Brazil Nuts for the time being because too many of the nuts seemed to be bad.
In our experience, even after 3 years not even 50% of the nuts has gone bad...
Should I be concerned that because the bee pollen has been kept frozen that the proteins are no longer "clean"?
Regarding the protein quality freezing can never be a great factor (if any).
What is their exact amino acid profile?
That is what we need to know to get to know whether they can replace protein-rich high quality foods (such as Brazil nuts)
1 Tblsp. of bee pollen has about 3-1/2 grams of protein. So if I eat 3 Tblsps. a day (which I do), that is less than 15 grams
Thats very little if we dont know what the protein quality is...
it bothers me a bit to think that the protein could possibly be "dirty."
Dont be bothered.
Even previously frozen protein-rich food such as fish might maximally cause a little bit of acne, so that it cannot contain much, if any.

On a sidenote:
Looking back at the issue of freezing and dirty protein, in the case of previously frozen tuna causing a little acne that was probably due to a too great total protein intake. In the case of previously frozen raw herring causing acne it probably was the salt, as raw herring is salted.
mballinger

Nutritional Analysis of Bee Pollen

Post by mballinger »

RRM,

Here is a Nutritional Analysis of Bee Pollen --

BEE POLLEN NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS
Guaranteed analysis: 7.1 grams protein per ounce
Standard chemical analysis identifies only 18 of the 22 amino acids present in pollen.

Amino Acids: MGs per ounce
Cystine 36.855
Lysine 366.360
Histidine 138.590
Arginine 292.520
Aspartic 542.440
Threonine 236.856
Serine 289.680
Glutamic 585.040
Proline 505.520
Clycine 267.520
Alanine 309.560
Valine 280.592
Methionnine 94.004
Isoleucine 230.040
Leucine 377.720
Tyrosine 139.440
Phenylalanine 236.850
Tryptophan 49.700

Minerals: MGs per ounce
Calcium 42.383
Iron 2.118
Potassium 158.675
Phosphorus 121.706
Sodium 2.693
Iodine (in MCGs) 6.237
Magnesium 27.675
Zinc 1.460
Copper .221
Boron .604
Barium .136
Chromium ( less than) .010
Manganese 1.395
Strontium .094

Miscellaneous: Grams per ounce
Carbohydrates 5.15
Fiber 1.02
Reducing sugars 8.25
Ash .65
Calories per ounce .90

Vitamins: Grams per ounce
A-232.470 I.U.*
Alpha carotene .031
Beta carotene .122
B1 (thiamine) .198
B2 (Riboflavin) .459
B3 (Niacin) 2.551
B6 (Pyridoxine) .119
B12 (Cyanocobalamin) .00002
Biotin .002
Folic Acid .201
Pantothenic Acid .198
C- (Ascorbic Acid)1.304
D- 9 I.U.*
D- 2.194 I.U.*
* International Units

Rutin - Abundant.( not measured in analysis) of great importance in capillary strength.
Enzymes: Active enzymes are needed to digest and assimilate nutrients.
Chemical analysis only measures 3 of the many present in bee pollen.

Enzyme units per gram:
Amylase (USP units) 2.550
(needed to break down starch)
Protease (USP Units) 64.400
(needed to split proteins)
Lipase (mm units) .085
(needed to emulsify fats)
Fatty Acids 2.807 grams/oz.
Essential fatty acids, with carbohydrates and sugars, supply our energy requirements.
Cholesterol: 0 percent
Bee pollen contains a higher content (11) of the healthful unsaturated fatty acids as opposed to saturated (9).

Note* Bee Pollen also contains elements science is not yet able to isolate and identify. Some authorities believe it is precisely these elements, often called the *magic* of the bee, which makes Bee pollen so effective.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Nutritional Analysis of Bee Pollen

Post by RRM »

mballinger wrote:...
Guaranteed analysis: 7.1 grams protein per ounce...
Cystine 36.855 ...
Methionnine 94.004 ...
Protein quality of bee pollen is therefore (36.855 + 94.004) x 9 / 7,100 = 17%.
So, its protein quality is quite low, even lower than many fruits, such as pears and avocado.
AND you dont take ounces of this stuff...
So these less than 15 grams of protein of poor quality dont make any difference...