Walnuts, Hazelnuts, ,,,, / Aflatoxins

About consuming nuts (and seeds)
Agent
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Walnuts, Hazelnuts, ,,,, / Aflatoxins

Post by Agent »

These seem to be the only in-shell nuts I can find in the UK...

Walnuts
Hazelnuts
Almonds
Pecan Nuts

Any comments on which of these are best/OK?

Thanks for any advice.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Walnuts, Hazelnuts, Almonds and Pecan Nuts

Post by RRM »

Of these nuts, Hazelnuts contain the least enzyminhibitors, but in general you will find that eating different nuts will make it easier to eat a little more than when eating only one kind of nuts. That's because they partially contain different enzyminhibitors.
How well we can cope with these antinutrients is individually different (what isnt?)
Just make sure to carefully 'listen' to your body. The moment you less feel like eating these nuts, simply stop eating them, because that is when your body says: "had enough of those enzyminhibitors!".

Brazil nuts and Macadamia nuts suit us better.
Maybe you can consider to buy online?
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Brazil nuts with shells are illegal in the UK :cry:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Really?? Why?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Maybe because they may contain bugs?
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

oooohh

thats why i can't find them then...

I eat pre shelled ones *bad Cairidh, bad!*
I haven't got acne, so that's ok...
but I hear pre shelled ones can be carcinogenic :evil:

I don't know what to eat :cry:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Even if they ARE illegal, it might be possible to have them shipped to you anyway.

Dionysus, how do you know that they are illegal?
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

:!:

ooh - illegal nuts
how exciting

i could be a criminal nut dealer :twisted:
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

Friday, 3 December 2004, 13:54 GMT

Christmas shortage of Brazil nuts

Brazil nut lovers will be out of luck this Christmas as many supermarkets are refusing to sell them in their shells.
The European Commission has branded the nuts a health risk after traces of a toxin that can cause liver cancer were found in Brazil nut shells.

Each batch must now be tested for aflatoxins, and the cost of destroying those affected has made Brazils too costly for supermarkets to import.

It is still possible to buy just the kernels, as used in chocolate Brazils.

A spokeswoman for Sainsbury's said: "Like other retailers, we don't stock unshelled Brazil nuts due to EU regulations. However, we have plenty of shelled Brazil nuts in stock."

Brazil is the only country to export the nuts still in their shells. Kernels, which are just the edible part of the nut, are brought in from Peru and Bolivia.

'Too risky'

Peter Morgan, chairman of the Combined Edible Nut Trade Association, told the Daily Mail on Friday: "Commercially it is now too risky to import them.

"The EU have put overly stringent limits on this without really good evidence."

The European limit on aflatoxin levels in Brazil nuts is four parts per billion but Mr Morgan said the American limit is 15 parts per billion.

EC officials say levels 100 times higher than the limit have been found.

They fear the substance, caused by contaminating fungi, could pass from the shell to the nut and then be eaten.
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

NO BRAZIL NUTS THIS CHRISTMAS
Brazil nuts have been a part of Christmas for a very long time but this year, they'll be missing from most houses because of bad weather in South America.

Unusually damp weather has affected this year's harvest of Brazil nuts. They damp has made the shells go mouldy, releasing a poison called Aflatoxin.

This means that this year's nuts won't be from Brazil but Bolivia. Supermarket Asda say that any Brazil nuts on sale this year are likely to be two years old. "I know it sounds crackers, but if you ask fr Brazil nuts in their shell this Christmas, Santa will not be able to deliver, " said spokesperson Ed Watson. "However, if you are really nuts about Brazils, there is plenty of the shelled variety about."
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Cairidh wrote: i could be a criminal nut dealer :twisted:
he he :D

The funny thing is that the shell protects the kernel against aflatoxin contamination by infected nuts.
If you have a container filled with nuts in their shell, and 25% is infected with aflatoxins for sure, the remaining 75% may be totally free form aflatoxins, as they are protected by their shell.
While if these are nuts without their shell, they all will be contaminated to some extend once 25% is infected.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Cairidh wrote:i could be a criminal nut dealer :twisted:
Erm, is that "i could be a criminal - nut dealer" or "i could be a criminal nut - dealer"? Image
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

RRM wrote:Even if they ARE illegal, it might be possible to have them shipped to you anyway.

Dionysus, how do you know that they are illegal?
A nut importer told me when i was hunting for nuts. But he may have been mistaken as someone has kindly give me a number for some in the UK. :::::fingers-crossed::::::::
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

From this study:

Aflatoxins were not detected in any of the whole in-shell Brazil nuts after shelling them.
Previously shelled nuts, however, all contained aflatoxins.
Kookaburra

Re: Walnuts, Hazelnuts, ,,,, / Aflatoxins

Post by Kookaburra »

How do I spot aflatoxins on nuts?