'Dirty' protein & fruit dehydrator

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
Kookaburra
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Kookaburra »

RRM wrote:
Kookaburra wrote:If I understand correctly, I can just store the raw fish fillets on the living room table?
No, that kind of drying is not efficient enough.
You need to dry them first, in a dehydrator,
or outside, in the wind and sun (if the conditions are right; i have no experience with that)
Erm, I am actually not intending to dry the fish, what I am saying is that, can I leave the raw salmon fillets that I bought in the morning on my living room table, then eating them at night? Or do I have to store it in the fridge?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ah, ok.
But you keep the fish in something like a paper bag or plastic container, right?
Yes, then its possible, but it would be better to take the fish out of the fridge just an hour or two prior to consumption.
Im guessing you prefer eating the fish on room temp.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Yeah, the fish comes in a vacuum-sealed plastic box. Its not really that I prefer eating the fish at room temperature, its that I am under the assumption that the fish will oxidize and bacteria will form. Well, will fish oxidize just like how fruit oxidizes?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Well, will fish oxidize just like how fruit oxidizes?
Yes.
Kookaburra wrote:its that I am under the assumption that the fish will oxidize and bacteria will form.
Yes, but oxidation will only happen when the fish is exposed to air (not in a vacuum-sealed bag).
The oxidation makes it look old.
Bacteria can multiply if there is also water present (fresh food contains lots of it),
regardless of whether stored in the fridge, or not.
Its just that at room temp (compared to the fridge), the bacteria will multiply faster.
Also never leave them in (or outside) the fridge without any such protection,
because your fridge is also filled with bacteria.
So, its best the cut the fillets, and then store the fish in the fridge,
but in such a way that there is as little air as possible present in the bag,
sack or box that you keep the fish in.

When drying fish
When the fish is dried quickly, the bacteria dont stand a chance,
and the exposure to the air (/and sun and wind) merely causes oxidation and dehydration.
zackcentury

Re: 'Dirty' protein & fruit dehydrator

Post by zackcentury »

very interesting! I'm glad to hear that dehydrating fish is working for some. Any more reports about this?
Any more particular recommendations or tips?

For those interested, a google search for "homemade dehydrator" returns several hits. This might be my first test before buying one.
bananarama
zackcentury

dehydrator plan

Post by zackcentury »

an addition to my earlier post:
Here is a plan for Alton Brown's very simple, homemade dehydrator http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season11 ... gbites.htm
He dries fruit and beef, all without a heat source. This may be a good way to have nearly raw dried foods.
bananarama
Oscar
Administrator

Re: 'Dirty' protein & fruit dehydrator

Post by Oscar »

Funny. :)