Making Juice; what kind of juicer?

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
summerwave
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

juice

Post by summerwave »

I'm more of a wine person (the grapes are already juiced) and you can associate that with any image you like....

(but I still would like to know about juicers)--
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

For apples etc?
One that does the least cutting before the centrifugation. So, the less power involved in the cutting, the better.
Does that help?
summerwave

juice; wine

Post by summerwave »

Yes; very much.

I wished to know too-- why does alcohol (a diuretic) over time seem to make people look puffy, and bloated (retaining water)?

It makes me seem a little bit puffy too after drinking it-- it seems to show in the face.

Why is this?

Does it prevent the liver and spleen from processing correctly, so that protein is not metabolized properly?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I don't know, but doesn't alcohol provoke our bodies to product beta-carbolines?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I dont know either, but it seems to me that alcoholics are hardly ever thin; they tend to have bigger arms and legs, and more puffy faces, indeed.
Alcohol has numerous effects, and one of them may be an anabolic effect.
If somebody has some time at hand; try looking up the studies that say something about both "edema" and "alcohol".
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

It seems that alcohol has anti-inflammatory effects. And 'cleaning-up' hormones such as cortisol eliminate both inflammations and redundant or still useful large proteins, which may lead to an increase in small protein particles, which increases water retention.
summerwave

alcohol

Post by summerwave »

ah; thanks...
Mr. PC

Re: Making Juice; what kind of juicer?

Post by Mr. PC »

So I just got the Huron juicer, but I'm not sure about everything. There's a little rubber flap underneath the bowl; the instructions say to keep it closed, but I'm assuming this is where the juice comes out of. So do we unplug that or not?

Edit, actually it's the pulp hole not the juice hole.
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

No you should keep it tucked neatly in place. Because otherwise the juice starts to get out of the pulp ejection hole too... Just take it out while cleaning the bowl then put it back in place..
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

But how will the pulp get out while the juice is being made? Won't it build up and clog the machine? P.S. I made juice with it last night (pulp chute unplugged), tastes way better than store-bought juice; but I left it at the school when going to the beach (work at a camp) and didn't have juice for 2 hours while swimming etc. in the hot sun. I have such huge cravings now, even though I was hoping to go 100% once I bought the juicer.
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

The silicone plug is there to make the juice stay in the bowl and go out in the juice spout.. there can be build up of fruit fiber that clogs, but usually it doesn't.. When it does you will notice and you can just stop the machine, and take it apart and undo the clogging.. easy.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Ok, I realized there is a little hole above the plug that still allows fiber through, just more slowly. Also interesting to note

When I alternate apples and oranges, I get drier pulp.
Bananas don't really seem to 'juice' as much as 'mush'. The pulp from bananas is extremely wet. Alternating with apples improves this a little. (Is it ok to juice bananas? I know blending is a no-no but I would imagine juicing with the Hurom is ok as no heat is introduced.)
Bananas also leave the machine harder to clean, but juicing some oranges after actually cleans it a little, maybe from the acid.
The machine says on it "do not run without first putting in food". So am I to drop an orange into the machine before starting it up? I was under the impression the opposite was true.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:Is it ok to juice bananas?
with a masticating juicer, yes.
am I to drop an orange into the machine before starting it up?
Yes.