what's a fruit!?

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
martianwarrior
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

what's a fruit!?

Post by martianwarrior »

is it safe to say that anything that bears or is a seed is considered a fruit and that any part of a plant that doesn't have to do with making new plants is a vegetable?

if this were true, we could consider peppers to be fruits, right?

does anyone know if sweet, hot and bell peppers are high in any specific anti-nutrients? i found that 'peppers'(no specifics were listed) contain solanine but so do tomatoes, which i don't eat, but i think it was determined that they are mostly in the seeds. correct? chile and black peppers contain aflatoxin.

does anyone know how high bell and sweet peppers are in anti-nutrients? i'm not really down for spicy food anyway, but it would be nice to know about all peppers.

i'm trying to think if there's any other fruits out there that are considered vegetables usually, that might not be that high in anti-nutrients other than tomatoes, cucumbers, perhaps peppers?... hmm, i dunno.

on a random side note... i read that bananas are considered an herb?... what!?
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Classifications can sometimes be tricky (like bananas), but for practical purposes you're right. Between the vegetables group and the fruit group is an overlap. In this overlap are vegetable-like fruits and fruit-like vegetables. Avocado, tomato and cucumber belong to the former, bell peppers, eggplant and zucchini to the latter.

We rather keep to the fruit side. ;)
Not sure about which (and how much) anti-nutrients they contain.
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

weird! :lol:

i'm gonna be making some pickles as soon as my cucumbers are done. i think i might throw a few sweet peppers in one or two of the jars, just for kicks.
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
RRM
Administrator

Re: what's a fruit!?

Post by RRM »

martianwarrior wrote: i'm trying to think if there's any other fruits out there that are considered vegetables usually, that might not be that high in anti-nutrients other than tomatoes, cucumbers, perhaps peppers?... hmm, i dunno.
Actually, its quite easy, as anti-nutrients create a somewhat bitter or sharp taste.
So, that the more 'easy' a fruit tastes, the less antinutrients it will contain.
You can easily taste the difference between not so ripe fruits and very ripe fruits. The difference is mostly due to the level of antinutrients.
on a random side note... i read that bananas are considered an herb?... what!?
Maybe in some classifications.
It really depends on what basis such a classifications has been made.
i'm gonna be making some pickles
Doesnt pickling include cooking?
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

i'm sure some recipes do... it probably speeds up the process. the method i'll be using requires no cooking or heating of any kind, just time.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I don't think pickling requires heat. see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickling
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

You are right.
Though lets be careful and clear regarding our advice to people, because many recipes include cooking.