Nutrition in fruits

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
Mrs. Shie
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Nutrition in fruits

Post by Mrs. Shie »

I read that someone took up this matter before but although I looked and looked for it in the forum, I couldn't find it. So I bring it up again.

I think that most fruits nowadays are not as nutritious as they used to be. I haven't read any article on it and don't need to; the logic is very simple: most fruits today don't taste the way they used to. Gone the taste, gone the nutrients. Not only fruits of course, many other foods also, like butter, potatoes, even beef. This things now don't taste as they did when I was young. The problem is that the memory gets lost with the new generation and younger people just don't know. There is no way I can explain to my children how potatoes used to taste.

But with fruits the problem is worst and most evident. 30 years ago fruit here was wonderful, tasteful, delicious and in a wide variety. Today many local fruits have inexplicably disappear from markets all together. Now, after the WTO's agreements about 10 years ago, we have lots of imported fruits which are mostly tasteless. It is incredible, the fruit looks much the same, but when I smell it and eat it, it has no fragrance and it is tasteless. This goes for pears, apples, peaches and grapefruit mostly, but with others too.

This is the result of genetic manipulation with different purposes, like increased shelf life, resistance to bugs, etc. But there is also a more, I would say sinister purpose to it too and that is to make fruits seedless or, if not possible, to make the seeds sterile. Here we even have imported pit-less peaches now! The reason, of course, is to prevent farmers from keeping their own seeds for the following season, as is partly explained in this interesting link. Thanks for listening.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... x#_ednref5
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

You may be absolutely right, but to every downside there is a bright side.
The bright side is:
The worse these 'modern' fruits become, the easier it will be to sell the delicious fruits that you have grown yourself. The more scarse, the higher the price you get.
And, no matter what they do, you will always be able to find some orange trees somewhere in some country that still bear absolutely delicious fruits. You plant those fruits, and you will have trees that will bear those same delicious fruits.
They will never be able to totally exterminate delicious fruits.
The harder they make it for us, the more profitable it will be to turn this around...
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

yea, I'm really picky on my fruit... I get it at a farmer's market.

I feel fortunate to live in California and have access to great fruit directly from farmers. I understand that not everyone has this option.
Mrs. Shie

Post by Mrs. Shie »

RRM wrote:You may be absolutely right, but to every downside there is a bright side.
The bright side is:
The worse these 'modern' fruits become, the easier it will be to sell the delicious fruits that you have grown yourself. The more scarse, the higher the price you get.
Yes, RRM, it is best to look at the bright side, I know. Only that I am on the buying side of the deal, for I don't grow fruit. As I see it, in time only the rich may have access to real food. Well, good for them.

My bright side is that I am thankful I can afford even that manipulated fruit, where others can't even that.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

And it really helps a lot if you let the fruit ripen after you bought it. If the oranges taste bad, just let them sit there until they taste good. With bananas, for example, sometimes you have to wait until they are almost entirely brown.
mario91

Re: Nutrition in fruits

Post by mario91 »

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I totally agree with Mrs. Shie!

Most fruits you find nowadays are proper shit. Specially the ones in supermarkets. They taste like cheap water with remedies diluted.

A good alternative is buying in farmers markets. But even there, be attentious when picking your fruit, because you'll find a lot of supermarket-like fruit also. For eg, recently I found a farmer/producer that was selling fruits in a van over town, and his fruits sometimes were even worse than supermarkets'. And I've also bought some bad fruit in markets too.

Another good alternative is buying a big amount from a farmer you thrust. For eg, this month I bought 70kg of dried figs from an old family friend that has her own plantations and dries them herself. I expect these figs to last me for a year. Next year I'll buy her another big load as soon she harvests them.

Organic fruit is also a good option, it's far better than the other supermarket fruits. But I think the prices are still absurdly high.

So, in conclusion, I think the solution for this is just go to your local market, "inspect" it, inspect the sellers, the foods, and choose the best.
And eventually try to talk with some of the farmers and ask them for special deals of big quantities of decent, local produced fruit, since these deals will supply you with a lot of decent fruit (you can dry it, freeze it, depends on the quantity, sometimes don't even need to do anything).
You will also save a lot of money from this, since in this diet you consume loads and loads of fruits!