Juicing, Mandarins, Calcium Leaching, Buying in Season Q's

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
panacea
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Juicing, Mandarins, Calcium Leaching, Buying in Season Q's

Post by panacea »

this website:

http://www.juicingbook.com/fruits/mandarinorange

says that;

"Citrus fruits, when taken in excess, are known to leech calcium from the body. All citrus fruits add citric acid to the body and so it's a good idea to get some exercise after having a citrus fruit drink."

is there any truth to that claim?

Secondly, I heard that mandarins don't yield much juice, is this true? How does it compare to valencias?

I just started juicing with the ra-chand 210, have only done navel oranges and valencias, the navels actually give less juice partly because the machine can get all of them, the valencias still give less than you'd expect - about 17 of them made me 3/4 of a tall glass. I'll measure it in ounces next time.

What type of oranges does everyone else use and at what seasons, does anyone alternate with mandarins for a couple months?

Still trying to accomplish the solely Juice+eggyolk diet.

Also, I heard Oscar or someone mention a while back that oranges in particular are in stock all year round because they are in season in different parts of the globe at different times, and only the place they come from changes, so is all of this 'buy in season' for mandarins or oranges bull?

thanks, been really busy sorry haven't been bothering everyone as much
RRM
Administrator

Re: Juicing, Mandarins, Calcium Leaching, Buying in Season Q

Post by RRM »

panacea wrote: "Citrus fruits, when taken in excess, are known to leech calcium from the body.

is there any truth to that claim?
The citrate (citric acid) in juices such as orange juice and apple juice readily binds to calcium, indeed.
The plus side is that this reduces the risk of Calcium-Oxalate stone formation (kidney stones)
The downside is that it 'leeches' calcium from the body.
(allthough compared to water, "Orange juice significantly improved calcium bioavailability"
and also "promotes iron absorption" and "enhances aluminium absorption").
But is that leeching of calcium a downside or a plusside?
Osteoporosis is associated with lifetime high calcium intakes, though because high calcium levels
increase (momentary) bone strength, it is currently thought that this would protect against osteoporosis.
In my view its a good thing to prevent a high turnover of calcium in and out of the bones.
Secondly, I heard that mandarins don't yield much juice, is this true? How does it compare to valencias?
Yes, they yield as much/little juice as oranges meant for eating instead of juicing.
But still, that may be quite substantial (particularly when compared to bananas...)
What type of oranges does everyone else use and at what seasons
It shifts with the season different types are available in different seasons.
does anyone alternate with mandarins for a couple months?
Not me...
is all of this 'buy in season' for mandarins or oranges bull?
To me it is.
I dont see why i cant eat something that is in season somewhere else on the globe.
It would also mean that i can never eat kiwis, bananas or oranges,
as they are never in season here...
panacea

Post by panacea »

ok thats good news :)

I did some calculations though, valencia oranges here are 4 for a $1, and I'd need bare minimum 40 a day to get by including the 6-10 egg yolks and occasional fish which is even more expensive. So I'm looking at like $15 minimum a day just to eat. Is that normal? Seems like a fortune.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

panacea wrote:valencia oranges here are 4 for a $1,
Thats normal.
Here they are about 6 for 1 euro.
I'd need bare minimum 40 a day
Why?
You can add sugar (and a little oil) to the juice...
About 30% of my energy comes from sugar, with no adverse effects.
panacea

Post by panacea »

Because there's only 2-3 oz of juice in each valencia, right? and at my size and weight (6'8" tall 200 lbs) I would need at least 3L a day I think, so 2.5 times 40 = 100 oz, which is about 3 liters. Are valencias over there yielding more juice? Do I need less than 3L? Will adding sugar and oil count into the 3L?
CSIV

Post by CSIV »

panacea wrote:...Are valencias over there yielding more juice? Do I need less than 3L? Will adding sugar and oil count into the 3L?
Tune in next time to find out!

(I couldn't resist :D)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

;D
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

panacea wrote:I would need at least 3L a day I think
You may need less if you add sufficient sugar.
How much energy do you need on average?