Goji berries

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
Thomas
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Thomas »

Another thing to consider with berries is that they have been selectively bred. Ever had a wild raspberry or blueberry? They are nothing like those found in the store.
huntress

Post by huntress »

Very true Thomas! Strawberries that you get from the supermarket are tasteless and they are surprisingly the size of my fist! Forest strawberries are tiny and they taste heavenly.
Strawberries that are sold commercially have been genetically engineered to look more appealing to the consumers but they don't taste good.
johndela1

question about berries for curlygirl

Post by johndela1 »

CurlyGirl wrote: Meanwhile, there is no mention of the obvious (but frequently ignored) fact that berries are not meant for human consumption. .
Curlygirl,

Can you tell me why you say it is obvious that berries arn't human food?

Is there something I should read that would educate me so it would seem obious to me, too?

I'm just wondering why somethng like this is obvious to you. If you are correct, then I would like to be at a point where things like this are obvious to me, too.
Saiva

Post by Saiva »

How come we are not supposed to eat berries? They are fruit as well aren't they?! :?

Thomas and huntress!

True, the strawberry originates from the wild strawberry wich is a lot smaller and much sweeter. People tried to make the wild strawberry bigger to get more out of one plant. But they lost the taste along the way(as well as nutrients) :(

I didn't know people farmed blueberries :o I only eat wild ones.

Get out in the woods and pick your own berries. :D And if you can't eat them all at once, they keep well in the freezer :wink:

//Saiva
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

I wish blueberries grew wild where I live! :) I would be out picking all day! In some areas, there are huckleberries, and we used to pick tiny wild strawberries when we were children. The organically cultivated strawberries are quite luscious to me - the ones at regular supermarkets just aren't worth it, though - terribly bland. :x

~Amber
Saiva

Post by Saiva »

Huckleberries - those sound exotic :wink: what kind of berry is that?

Organically cultivated strawberries sounds good, I eat those too. :)

//Saiva
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

johndela1 wrote:Can you tell me why you say it is obvious that berries arn't human food?
I'm afraid that RRM is probably the best person to ask for advice on the matter of berries, and why they are inherently not ideal for human consumption. My reasons are somewhat different, and relate more to how they are produced in the age of industrial agriculture, how my own body deals with them, and their energy 'efficiency' as foodstuffs. Let me explain: First of all, I cannot peel berries, and I therefore risk ingesting all sorts of pesticides/fungicides/phosphate-residues. Strawberries are notorious among crops with the highest level of pesticide residues (and in Wai's book you will see, in the section on toxins in foods, that strawberries contain nitrate and nitrite from overuse of superphosphate fertilizers). Obviously the way around this would be to consume organic berries - but these are too expensive here in the UK, or 'wild' berries - but to me, these are not pleasant to eat (I can't stomach wild blueberries especially). Secondly, berries are not calorie-dense foods, and you need to eat enormous quantities of them to obtain appreciable energy (which fills up the stomach with redundant fibre - to be avoided on this diet), so to me they are not 'efficient' foods at all. In fact, I once read an article on 'negative calorie foods', and while I don't buy into the theory completely, it does seem to make sense that digesting a strawberry might use more energy than it provides to the body. Why eat it then? We have to make sure, on this diet, to eat enough - since we are (mostly) not ingesting opioid peptides and other appetite-stimulants. So 'low-cal' berries strike me as a waste of energy. Thirdly, it is impossible to separate the seeds from the edible mass in, for example, the case of raspberries and strawberries - and all seeds in nature contain enzyme inhibitors that prevent them from being fully digested in the gut (again, not optimal for digestion, which is the key issue in this diet!). Long-term consumption of these seeds is probably not a good idea. This is why I no longer consume grapes (couldn't be bothered to chew carefully enough not to break down the bitter seeds and spit them out) and am wary also of consuming kiwis (I have recently cut them out of my diet because they give me indigestion - which I believe to be attributable to the fact that, again, I cannot separate the inedible seeds from the edible fruit mass). These things are 'obvious' to me because I have been thinking in the 'Wai' way for some time now, and the mainstream nutritional doctrine has just fallen away, revealing itself to be counter-intuitive and harmful. This doctrine induces well-meaning people to consume grains and dairy and 'dirty' protein in the name of 'health' - as well as mounds of berries to provide 'antioxidants' that are needed to counteract the negative effects of this nutritionally-redundant so-called 'health' diet.

I hope that helps you.
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

Saiva wrote:Huckleberries - those sound exotic :wink: what kind of berry is that?

Organically cultivated strawberries sounds good, I eat those too. :)

//Saiva
:D It's an American native plant/bush with berries similar to blueberries. They're pretty good :) Here's a little info on them: http://homecooking.about.com/library/we ... ckbery.htm

Mmmm...Strawberries ;)

~Amber
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

yea, that does help

thanks
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

It really depends on the specie; there are berries specifically meant for birds (that have the digestive system to cope with the antinutrients and toxins) and berries that can also be perfectly consumed by humans, because they dont contain, or are very low in anti-nutrients.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

So if thebest berries are lower in antinutrients, then I'd be better off not eating berries at all? (any berries)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Cant fully comprehend what you are saying / getting at, but there are berries that can be consumed perfectly well, such as strawberries and raspberries.
dadasarah

Post by dadasarah »

It seems they're wanting to know exactly which berries are ok to eat.
"Dada is the sun. Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police." - Richard Huelsenbeck
rischott

Post by rischott »

I used to LOVE strawberries, but HATEd other fruits such as papaya, cantalope, kiwi. But after 100% Wai, i can't stand the taste of strawberries or even looking at them anymore. Kiwi, cantalope, papaya on the other hand make me salivate now.

I think berries should only be eaten if you know where they are grown. Dont' trust berries in stores since you can't peel them and since they are probably genetically malnourished.
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

bananas are berries and i aint givin' 'em up for nuffink! *looks feirce* :evil: :!: