Juice yield

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Juice yield

Post by RRM »

If you (like me) want to minimize fiber intake,
this is also a great tool, particularly for banana juice (as its thick, and sieving with a regular strainer takes a lot of shaking)
passeerzeef.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fred

Re: which juice-extractor to get? (not OJ)

Post by fred »

RRM wrote:If you (like me) want to minimize fiber intake,
this is also a great tool, particularly for banana juice (as its thick, and sieving with a regular strainer takes a lot of shaking)
passeerzeef.jpg
That's interesting. Can you really remove some more fibers from banana juice with this tool and obtain a ligther juice ?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fred wrote:Can you really remove some more fibers from banana juice with this tool and obtain a ligther juice ?
Yes!
It really works.
And its not that expensive (about 23 euro).
fred

Post by fred »

Indeed, It works very well to remove the remaining banana fibres. Digestion is much better now.

Very good advice RRM, thank you!

I guess we can use it to juice berries, without the slow juicer. I'll give it a try when berries will be available.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

That's great!
fred wrote: I guess we can use it to juice berries, without the slow juicer. I'll give it a try when berries will be available.
Huh?
Only with very soft berries, I guess.
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Hey for all those juicers out there,
I have an experiment for you to try out.

Question:
Does freezing fruits increase juice yield, prior to any juicing method, due to the breakage of plant cell walls by frost?

Purpose:
To increase fruit juice yield.

Hypothesis
Hypothesis1: Frozen fruit yield more juice than nonfrozen fruit.
Hypothesis2: Frozen fruit yield the same amount of juice as nonfrozen fruit.
Hypothesis3: Frozen fruit yield less juice than nonfrozen fruit.

Materials:
Freezer/Refridgerator
Frozen fruit (same volume as nonfrozen fruit, report in grams or ml)
Nonfrozen fruit (same volume as frozen fruit, report in grams )
Juicer
2 Cup (should be in similar size and weight), or 1 Cup (but you have to make sure previous juice is not in the cup)
Pen
Paper

1) Take the same purchase of fruits divide in 2 equal portions, of what you will consume for one meal
("same purchase" fruits sourced from the same batch of fruits grown, i.e. not different strains of fruit or supermarkets or boxes)
2) Freeze the first portion and leave the second portion unfrozen.
3) Note down the preparation method of fruit, frozen with fruit skin or without fruit skin.
4) Note the time the fruit was freezed at and the temperature that you freezed at.
5) Measure the dry weight of your cup if you are using grams, to subtract the cup from the total juice + cup weight.
6) Then juice with your juicer, frozen juice to one cup and nonfrozen juice to another cup.
7) Measure the juice in ml or grams, if using grams, just subtract from the cup to get net weight of juice.
8) Come back here and report how much juice you got out of your juicer in milliliters or grams.

Any takers for this experiment? RRM, Oscar, Dime, Kasper, Overkees, Fred, Nina75, Mr.PC, JeffC, Avalon, Maia... everyone is welcome to try...?
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
JeffC

Post by JeffC »

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... zWd6Plr5OI

"Freezing mayhaw fruit prior to juice extraction increased juice yield regardless of the method used in extraction. The average juice yield obtained from previously frozen fruit was 157% higher than when using fresh fruit."
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

JeffC wrote:http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... zWd6Plr5OI

"Freezing mayhaw fruit prior to juice extraction increased juice yield regardless of the method used in extraction. The average juice yield obtained from previously frozen fruit was 157% higher than when using fresh fruit."
Thanks Jeff, I will juice frozen mayhaws from now on. If I can get my hands on mayhaws (are they a fruit? What will RRM think? It is a fruit he will say, oh wait the mayhaw just might be a berry, I have to do some research.).

Side note:
"157% higher" is a percentage change. This article could have displayed statistics more appropriately.

An example of a better way to report statistics:
RRM wrote:That depends on the ripeness of the banana and the number of times that you put the pulp back in the juicer.
In the end, you may get a 70% return (1000 grams of banana yielding 700 grams of juice).
This example I quoted is better because you are given a context to the percentage. That is why I asked the experimenter to report in milligrams, grams, millitres or litres, as well as note down the details or the specifics on the preparation of the fruit.

By the way my experiment's purpose is really a curiosity for increasing the volume of banana juice, as orange juice is a no brainer in the ease of juicing. But I wanted my experiment to be inclusive and not discriminating of other fruits.
And because my experiment was not fruit specific, I learned something new. A new fruit, the "Mayhaw" and I learned that from the article that their experiments indicates pectolytic enzyme increases total soluble solids and heat produced more mayhaw juice than cold pressed mayhaw; and with the heat extraction method of 'steaming' with pectolytic enzyme added, the juice had less total acid. Assuming that I can trust their usage of percentages.

Idea, could adding pectolytic enzyme to orange juice reduce the acidity?
Could pectolytic enzyme/pectinase be added to bananas to increase banana juice yield?
dime

Post by dime »

I add baking soda to the orange juice to reduce acidity, not sure about pectolytic enzyme (where can you even buy that?).
Interesting idea about the freezing, I'll give it a try next time.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

JeffC wrote:The average juice yield obtained from previously frozen fruit was 157% higher than when using fresh fruit."
Yes, that's because freezing ruptures all cells (expanding water volume), which drains the water.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Aytundra wrote:mayhaws (are they a fruit? What will RRM think? It is a fruit he will say, oh wait the mayhaw just might be a berry
RRM thinks the mayhaws might be expensive.
And yes, its a berry, so its probably high in anti-nutrients.
Idea, could adding pectolytic enzyme to orange juice reduce the acidity?
A bit.
Pectines are just one aspect of acidity.
The riper the oranges, the lower the acidity and the lower the pectine content.
Waiting is therefore more effective.
The longer you wait, the riper they will get, the less acidic.
Could pectolytic enzyme/pectinase be added to bananas to increase banana juice yield?
You can add them, but the effect will be very small, as bananas contain only 0.6% pectines.
dime

Re: Juice yield

Post by dime »

I tested the freezing idea with two oranges from the same batch, one frozen one unfrozen.

Code: Select all

+----------+--------+
       | unfrozen | frozen |
-------+----------+--------+
 whole |  283g    |  268g  |
 juice |  113g    |  130g  |
 perc  |   40%    | 48.5%  |
-------+----------+--------+
That's 21% more!
E.g. you can save oranges from spoiling for example, and you get side benefit - more juice.
You can buy in bulk when there's a good price and if you have a big freezer.
Also when the frozen orange unfroze, it was smelling amazing, compared to the one I left out.

Not sure if the electricity required to freeze the oranges and overal extra hassle is worth it, but this is really cool. 20% is significant, e.g. it would save me 1.5-2 eur per 3L juice.
overkees

Post by overkees »

How long dit you freeze them?

I would like to know the optimal freezing time to maximize juice yield.
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Awesome dime!
You are so brave! Thanks for trying the experiment I designed.
Frozen with peel? (Protection of evaporation/transpiration of water?)
Frozen without peel? (Evaporation/transpiration of water?) (Lurking variable? Ice from freezer adding more water content?)
Frozen for how long in minutes/hours?
dime

Post by dime »

I froze it 3 days I think, whole, with peel I just put the orange itself in the freezer (no containers etc.)