Juicing Oranges

About consuming fruits; fresh, dried or juiced.
Agent
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Juicing Oranges

Post by Agent »

Hi all, apologies in advance for another weird question.

Well, I got a juicer the other day. It says that it's fine to put in fruit with the skin etc. on. So I used a good few oranges with their skin on. The only thing is, the end product is more like 'pureed' orange and it has a taste of the skin. I don't mind this *particulary* but I'm not sure about it, is my orange juice likely to contain fibre then? Should I then peel the oranges first? Should I discard what I've got?

CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Err.... Agent, you mean you juiced the entire orange, with the dark orange rind on? Or do you mean you took off the rind but left on the thick white pith?

I would say, juicing the entire orange is not a good idea! We aren't meant to eat the skins... and I can't imagine the juice would go down particularly smoothly with all those macerated clumps of orange rind in it. :?
avalon

Post by avalon »

I remember reading about juicing the whole orange on one of the, I believe it was, fruitarian sites. I can't imagine it wouldn't taste bitter. Who do you believe?

I wish there was this book of knowledge (other than the Bible) That just said exactly and unequivocally- the truth like:

1. You can eat raw meat safely- as AV says.
2. We are omnivores, fruigivores, herbivores- all the above!
3. God is a Buddist, a Catholic, protestant- all the above!
4. God is a man, a woman, a Yorkie- all the above!
5. Kirk didn't die on that pile-O-rocks planet...ALONE!

The Truth will set you free :D

What kind of Juicer did you get Agent?
johndela1

peeling

Post by johndela1 »

try peeling the orage but leaving as much of the white stuff on there as you can

I mean just peel off the top llayer of orange stuff and leave the thick white stuff on
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Just eat only "the white stuff" for once (chew on it thoroughly!), and you will understand why we advice to remove it: it tastes more like the peel (bitter and unpleasant) than it tastes like orange...

Trust your taste, as it tries to tell you something.
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

Yeah juiced orange is totally different from squeezed orange juice. I don't like it unless it's mixed with something else. It seems to really cleanse my insides though. I feel like I've drunk a witch doctors wonder potion after that.

I once tried putting the peel in (because lemons with peels are lovely in juice, so I thought why not oranges?) Argh!!!!!! Absolutely vile. Almost inedible. Ugh. Burn your mouth, taste awful, burn your insides.

Clementines and other baby orange cousins come out like squeezed orange juice, but the taste is a little different (as clementines taste different from oranges). I love clementine and strawberry juice - heavenly.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

I don't have a juicer. I got a citric press for 16 euros the other day although I'm laying off on the orange juices because of my gums...

Am I missing out on something? :cry:
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

Juice is wonderful stuff chin chin!! Get a juicer if you can but don't worry if you can't. Freshly squeezed orange juice is just as good as any other juice.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Why is everybody drinking orange juices?

Is it considered the most energetic fruit, or just because it's easy to squeeze?

I've integrated a lot of fruit blending into my diet, and it seems to work for me. And as I have a citric press, I sometimes press oranges or grapefruits, and then put them into my fruit smoothies. But quite franckly, I'm not a big fan of oranges and grapefruits, and crave more for exotic fruits + bananas.

What is the big deal with orange juice?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Why drinking juice?

You can do the Wai diet perfectly without juicing anything. Of the possible reasons for juicing, I can think of 2 which can be of some significance:
1. If you feel you need more energy, but cannot eat more than you do, then juice makes it easier to get that energy. You can drink more than you can eat.
2. Sipping juice makes controlling your energy intake very easy. It keeps insuline use to a minimum, and provides you with constant energy.

Why specifically orange juice?
I guess a number of reasons, like: tastes good, easy to squeeze, easy to buy in bulk, equal percentage fructose and glucose (maybe not that important, but could be an added bonus), turns you orange... ;)

But diet is very personal...I think Gavi doesn't drink juices at all, and RRM drinks 4.5 liter OJ a day. Corinne loves kiwis, I don't. Some people eat nuts, others can't handle them. I think each has to find the ideal way for themselves. That's the challenge, and it might change too. :)
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

4.5 liters of OJ? That amounts to 20 oranges? That's more than 4 times what I consume in fruit cocktail... Where does he put his juice when he's on the go?

I have a thermo, but only for 1.5 liters of liquid maybe...
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Chin-Chin wrote:4.5 liters of OJ? That amounts to 20 oranges?
Ehh, no, more.
Where does he put his juice when he's on the go?
In my backpack. Even when its hot, the juice will not go bad that same day, and I like it better when the juice isnt cold.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

10-12 oranges yield about 1 liter of OJ...
We use bottles of some kind to hold it. I use glass bottles of 0.5 liters each.
nick

Post by nick »

Glass bottles...

Very cool. I was thinking about that, but I would think they would too heavy for my back pocket.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Wow RRM,

maybe that's why you feel ripped. I don't blame you for adding sugar in your OJ as it's very acidic.

Maybe I'll try it someday when I'm home. I still have a hard time imagining Oscar with 9 glass bottles of orange juice in his backpack...