Newbie seeking your Help!

There are lots of rules you can break; so thats what happens a lot...
Oscar
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Newbie seeking your Help!

Post by Oscar »

Glycogen is stored sugar energy (long-chained glucose molecules). For normal (rest) and low-intensity energy demands the muscles only use fat energy and blood glucose. When we increase the intensity level of exercise, at some point the muscles will start using glycogen as well. So yes, it is possible to empty the glycogen depots. However, since you're ingesting energy, it depends on how much you ingest above the requirement of replenishing of blood glucose, and also on the energy expenditure (i.e. weight and walking speed).
3 hours of brisk walking (at max walking speed) for a 60kg person requires approx. 900kcal. About 400kcal of this will be from glycogen. The more you weigh and the higher your walking speed, the more energy is needed. 1 liter of OJ + 1/4 cup of sugar = 665kcal. In order to empty both glycogen depots, you'd have to spend 1600 + 665 = 2265kcal. In this example that would translate into a bit more than 18 hours of brisk walking :wink:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Maybe this picture illustrates it better:
Muscle energy usage.jpg
You want to aim for 65% of VO2max (brisk walking) to maximize fat (triglycerides + Free Fatty Acids (FFA)) usage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Karen

Post by Karen »

Thank you Oscar I sincerely appreciate your tutorial. I have been ingesting too much fruit!. But then again, I can have moments of feeling dizzy when I stand up, so that 's kinda confusing - not enough energy!
Oscar how did you figureout your equation for energy requirements as I'd like to know how many liters of fruit I should be taking in, what's my minimum ? I know noone can tell me exactly but still ...
I walk at a steady strong pace for 3 hours every other day( so you've heard lol) and in between those days I do an hour of body weight ie., lunges, push-ups etc. 5"10". 134pds. I'd like to lose another 6/7 pounds of fat? And also I'd like a little Casa here on the Pacific Ocean here in Samara...not asking for to much!:)
Karen

Post by Karen »

I'm in Costa Rica and it's equator hot here. ..talking sizzling, so I'm thirsty ..maybe I should be replacing calories/ energy for water?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I did my calculations as follows: on this page I entered your info (I actually used a different page for the gross expenditure, but this one is more accurate as the other one includes non-activity energy), and I guesstimated the % of glycogen + blood glucose at 40%. The kcal equivalent of OJ + sugar you can find in the nutrient calculator.

Yes, it's quite difficult to tell how much you need, but you'll have an estimate when entering your info in the net calculator and take 40% of that. In your case that would be about 280kcal (calculate it yourself, because I don't have all the info), which would roughly translate to 500ml of OJ + 3 teaspoons of sugar. Take a few sips every 20 mins or so. In the end it's better to listen to your energy needs, but this might help in the beginning.

You'll have to try to distinguish between the need for water and energy, but yes, drink more water if you're just thirsty and not "hungry".
Karen

Post by Karen »

Thank you so much Oscar! I reviewed your link and I know you tried to help me but ....didn't i I need to know my energy expenditure before completeing the equation? I have no clue!
I saw some light with you reply, however, when you stated: it would translate to half a liter of... I take it you're talking about my energy requirements for my 3 hour walk and not the whole day?
I walked yesterday and, ironically enough, I brought with me a half liter of OJ and 2 liters of water and I faired a whole lot better than I ever have before! I think I have been confusing my need for water and energy.
So now I'm onto a whole new level I still have some learning curves to nevagate, though, as I was dizzy again last night. Oscar about how many liters of juice should I be drinking or what do you think my minimum should be within a 24 hour
period or more accurately said,about how kcals? Is there another link for that? :) you helped me, Oscar..thank you.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Woops, my bad. First you have to go to this page, calculate your gross expenditure, and then go to the page I mentioned to calculate your net expenditure. This is just for the walk.

For the whole day your energy needs will probably somewhere around 1900-2000kcal, depending on how active you are. You'll have to figure out the exact number yourself, by listening to your body. How much juice you should drink per day depends on the other food you eat and your energy needs, so it's kinda hard to tell. Use the Nutrient Calculator (or another one like this one) to calculate the amounts you need.
Karen

Post by Karen »

Okay! I'll review the links and get back to you, thank you, Oscar. Dizzy. For the last two nights, actually since I've ditched the fruit for water, in the evening, I've gone to stand and bang - dizzy.
On this site, I recall someone mentioning that avocados can create syptoms similar to diabetes . Do you think there's a link between dizziness and avocados as I've eaten them on both occasions? Or, more likely -it's probably due to the fact that I've reduced my kcal . .sounds like a good time to zoom in on how many kcals I'm taking in for the day .Once again- thank you, Oscar,
dime

Post by dime »

Most likely you've reduced your calories too much. You should be careful, if you're exercising every day usually you should eat more than average.
Karen

Post by Karen »

I'm seeking detailed help about my energy needs as I want to take better care of myself. I I'd like to start here, with the basics. I made 4 cups of pineapple juice this morning, so according to Wai nutritional site which I'm not sure if when you plug in the fruit the site is giving you a nutritional output for strained juice?
I'm assuming such, so accordingly- I'll be taking in. energy-.303.80kcal .....2200.00kcal .
So, that read out confuses me as I'm not sure which one is it 303.80 kcals or 2200. kcals?
And if it's 2200kcal..according to Oscar :) that's about how many calories I need in a day.
So a liter (almost) of pineapple juice is all I need in a day for energy requirements?
Thank you all Dime, RRM and Oscar.

Your selection:
[Item 1] 04cups of Pineapple (Ananus comosus), [1].

Weight:..................................620.00g

Nutrients...............................Quantity..............RDA

Energy...................................303.80kcal .....2200.00kcal
Carbohydrate..............................76.81g ..............?g
Fat........................................2.66g ..............?g
Protein....................................2.41g ..........50.00g
Water....................................536.29ml .............?ml
Fiber......................................7.44g ..............?g
dime

Post by dime »

No, 2200 is the RDA or recommended daily amount of calories you need, and 303 is for the pineapple. But I think it's for the pineapple fruit, not juice, although calories should be similar.
Karen

Newbie seeking your help

Post by Karen »

Oscar this guy by the name of Bennett ( I think that was his name- he grew young fro 50 to 70 yrs old)- does this link encompass all his body workouts which I got from this site?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaPFDKKXX_8
Karen

Post by Karen »

Since I've deleted my salad bathed in OO my hair is starting to fall out again..nothing major but it was happening less when I was taking in the OIO.. Hence, is this a sign that I need more fat or is it because I've cut back on my overall calories?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Karen wrote:Since I've deleted my salad bathed in OO my hair is starting to fall out again..nothing major but it was happening less when I was taking in the OIO.. Hence, is this a sign that I need more fat or is it because I've cut back on my overall calories?
Unless you are seriously malnourished, I don't think such an immediate response of your hair falling out is actually a trustworthy indicator.
The egg yolks, fish and avocado already supply you with the fats and fat-soluble vitamins that you need.
Karen

Post by Karen »

Thank you for your follow up and reassurance. It means a lot to me and I'll start using the nutrient calculator . I juiced two cantaloupes yesterday and noted it doesn't list such a melon. Perhaps it prioritizes fruit and cantaloupe juice pales in comparison to orange juice?