Safety of fruits?

There are lots of rules you can break; so thats what happens a lot...
bobby
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Safety of fruits?

Post by bobby »

I have started with Wai diet for 5 days.
Because our diet are about fruits, so I start to concern about the safety of the fruits.
In my country, people use a lot of pesticide and chinese fruits are every where.
Therefore, do you guys do anything to clean the fruits before juice? I searched on the internet, there is a way that we can put fruits into salt water for 10 minutes before consuming it. Is it possible because salt is restricted in Wai diet?

Thank you in advance.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Safety of fruits?

Post by RRM »

Its not just fruits.
Its all our foods; animal foods, grains veggies, everything.
So, in that way, this diet is no different.
Of course, its best to buy organic fruits only, if you have the money to do so.
The good news is that many fruits have very thick peels, and that you need to peel them prior to consumption,
which eliminates most of the pesticides.
Thats one reason i dont eat grapes much, or strawberries.

Im afraid salt doesnt help much.
And if you are susceptible to acne, salt is a no-no.
bobby

Post by bobby »

Thank you RRM, but I heard that peels of many foods contain a lot of nutrients?
And one more thing is can I eat the same food eveyday? (such as I eats 10 bananas, drink OJ everyday) Because anything too much is bad, right?
Iris

Post by Iris »

It pays off to search for local farmers. That way you know what you buy and the price is way better. Plus the quality and taste is often way better too. And the farmer usually gets a much better price for it's products. Organic is not always better unfortunately, plus indeed often very expensive. Some not organic farmers don't use pesticides/antibiotics etc too, they just don't want to pay all that money to legally call their products organic. As far as I know, some pesticides are allowed for organic farming. And although that's a long time ago, in the past there was very little to no supervision.
I don't say you shouldn't buy organic. I usually prefer organic foods too :wink: I'm just saying you should not trust everything that is labeled organic blindly.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

bobby wrote:I heard that peels of many foods contain a lot of nutrients?
It contains some nutrients too, just like the bark of a tree.
But no, it does not contain more nutrients than the pulp.
Less, actually.
The peel is specifically designed for protection against being consumed by insects, worms etc.
It therefore contains all kind of (bitter-tasting) anti-nutrients that are hazardous to these insects etc.
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

I wash all fruits with baking soda
bobby

Post by bobby »

Emeira wrote:I wash all fruits with baking soda
is it possible?
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

for 10-20 min. all fruits with thin skin (grapes, berries...) soak in water with added baking soda and vinegar, then rinse with clean water.

http://robynjlaw.com/2011/05/how-to-was ... c-produce/
Iris

Post by Iris »

I have heard that claim before but never backed up with evidence it really does anything.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Whether the peel contains more nutrients or not, it's only a concern when you're in danger of consuming too little nutrients, which on this diet (when done correctly) you're not.
Personally I buy the thinner peel fruits organic (like tomatoes) and even then peel all fruits. I don't really wash anything.
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Peel, peel, and peel everything you can.
It tastes so much better if you peel an orange until its finest layer.
And if you are hypersensitive to the idea of pesticides sitting on your fruit;
Sieve it then, and leave only the juice.

my logic,
If you are only eating the water soluble component of the juice,
I guess in the worst case scenario: is ingesting water soluble pesticides, but I believe water soluble components are easily eliminated by urination.
Versus for lipid soluble pesticides, well, that is why you should peel your fruits.

Dunking fruits in water, will probably remove dust, dirt, soil, insect matter, and maybe a little pesticide.
It will not remove the wax and lipid soluble pesticides.

Washing with sodium bicarbonate, with the sandy abrasiveness of sodium bicarbonate, might help scratch off some apple wax.
I imagine you would have to take the sandy sodium bicarbonate and scrub the fruit. Like how I clean pots.

I imagine, sodium bicarbonate and vinegar in water is just playing with the pH. I doubt it does anything to the pesticide.
In pseudoscience, the theory would be the change in pH deactivates the pesticide. But haha, lol, lol, you will still be ingesting a pH adjusted pesticide molecule, sitting on the skin of the fruit, if not rinsed properly. For that matter, I would just peel the fruit and be done with worrying about whether the pesticide molecule is still sitting on the skin of the fruit. It also saves me money from buying vinegar and baking soda.

Personally I rinse my fruits in plain water to remove the dust (if any). Then just peel thinner peel fruits if I am not lazy.
It you want a super great experience of strawberries, take the time to pick off all the seeds, it tastes delicious. I only had about 3 seed removed strawberries in my lifetime, but that was when I had patience and 2 hours/strawberry.
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
Iris

Post by Iris »

I peel most fruits too, but not tomatoes and berries. Simply because it's to time-consuming and I'm too impatient.