Day 20: This isn't working anymore...

There are lots of rules you can break; so thats what happens a lot...
avo
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by avo »

Okay, so how do I go about testing what I'm allergic to? I'll write up a list of all (all?) the foods I eat on a regular basis. Then eliminate one at a time? But what if I'm allergic to more than one thing, like say avocado and olive oil? How long should I wait to see results, and how quickly after reintroducing the food would I experience symptoms?
huntress

Post by huntress »

Chin-Chin, vitamin C helps eliminate nickel allergies. I had mine since I was very young.
avo

Post by avo »

I have been keeping a journal for the last 10 days, but by then it was already too late, my symptoms started a little before that. I'll stop the OO for now, and remain off the nuts and dried fruit. I'll see how that goes, if no improvement after 4-5 days, I'll cut out bananas, then avocado. But after that, I don't know what to eat. :(
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Good idea. Maybe give it a week. Good luck, and keep us informed! :)
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

huntress wrote:Chin-Chin, vitamin C helps eliminate nickel allergies. I had mine since I was very young.
What do you mean? Can you elaborate how nickel allergies are "eliminated" by vitamin C?
avo

Post by avo »

So it's been 2 days just using coconut oil instead of OO, and I have to say that I just want the week to end so I can see whether or not it is the OO I am allergic to. I really miss it :(. From another thread:

"...anytime I have some coconut oil with fruit, I don't get hungry again for way too long. I had a mango with a tablespoon of the oil, and I didn't get hungry for about 3-4 hours, before I finally just resumed eating even though I could have went longer. When I use OO or no oil at all, I get hungry a lot quicker, like less than half the time. Also, the coconut taste is getting to me, I really don't like it anymore, even thinking about it makes me slightly nauseous. It also makes me feel hot and stuffy, but it could also be the weather :). I almost want to try avocado oil now, but I should refrain because it might turn out to be avocados that I'm allergic to."

This is making me aggrivated, I know I should be hungry, but I'm just not for some reason. It gets tough to eat enough in a day when 1 mango fills me for that long.

My skin has not improved yet, but it's only been 2 days, so I'll stick with it for a bit longer.

Once I find out it was not the OO that I was reacting to I'll make sure to buy a good (and fresh, it turns out the bottle I was using is more than a year old from purchase) quality oil, as unheated and free of chemicals as I can get, just to make sure it is something besides the olives.

Is it even possible to be allergic to pure oils? I'm not sure about your opinions on the causes of allergies, but oils don't have any protiens or anything, so how can it trigger a reaction? I heard olive oil allergies were very rare, and people who are allergic to coconuts do not have any problems with coconut oil, so I'm second guessing this as a cause. Also, I've avoided honey for more than a week, so that is not it either. I feel banana or avocado is much more likely to be the culprit, however sadly I do admit it. These two foods are somewhat of a staple of mine, I guess that makes it even more probable. I guess I should start finding replacements, like peaches, plums, nectarines, apricots, oranges, pears, apples and pineapple, which all I have been neglecting. I guess brazil nuts and dried fruits could be included again, just not too much because it dries me out.
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Hi Avo,

Just wondering if you can run an allergy test at the doctor's, or is that not "natural" enough for you?

Whatever you decide, good luck and hope the ordeal will be over soon :)
avo

Post by avo »

Allergy test? Sounds like what I need, what is involved? Just ask my doctor, or a special kind of doctor? Is it expensive? How do they test which foods I'm allergic to, through needles and injections? Or is there a more holistic approach that is used by some?
avalon

Post by avalon »

Hey, why was I censored? :shock:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Were you censored?
avalon

Post by avalon »

I believe before avo wrote:
I have been keeping a journal for the last 10 days...
I posted a suggestion as to how he could go about removing/food items pus a quote from wai about the importance of keeping a journal....hence his reponce.

???
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hmm, I do seem to remember that post. Well, wasn't me, but I guess there was a reason for it. :?
avo

Post by avo »

Upon further reading on the subject, it is not likely that it's an allergic reaction. The proper word for it should be food sensitivity, delayed allergic reaction (type 3 allergy) or intolerance, as my only unusual physical symptoms are runny nose and scratchy throat. The acne may be from the food(s) as well, but it's not concrete. But, the delayed allergic reaction is very common in foods eaten on a daily basis, usualy multiple foods. The most accurate testing for this is the 'IgG ELISA Delayed Food Allergy/Intolerance Assay,' which is in the US$500-$1000 range :shock:. Here is a site that has more info on this: http://www.optimumhealthresource.com/dfa.html

I may just start an elimination diet, avoid avocados and mangos for a while, and then try adding them back in. Should I try eliminating bananas too, since I haven't eaten them daily until I started Wai, and also because it will be difficult to get enough calories with my lovely bananas. :)
avo

Post by avo »

Yes, at least one post was deleted, possibly more. I remember that my post (now on top of page 2) was not the first post for the new page, it was 'bumped up' a notch, suggesting that some prior post(s) was removed.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avo wrote:Is it even possible to be allergic to pure oils? I'm not sure about your opinions on the causes of allergies, but oils don't have any protiens or anything, so how can it trigger a reaction?
You can also experience allergi-like reactions form many other compounds than protein (antioxidants, minerals). In as much as OO may cause a sore throat in some, it also may trigger allergic like reactions (caused by oleuropin, for example).

I heard olive oil allergies were very rare
True, but they do happen occasionally.

I feel banana or avocado is much more likely to be the culprit
No more than OO, I believe. You may react adversely to the serotonin though.
I guess I should start finding replacements
Pleace first finish the experiment with leaving out OO, because this is essential in finding your culprit; you really need to give it 2 weeks per experiment. Unfinished experiments dont count at all.