PCOS

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
AlexaGirl
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

PCOS

Post by AlexaGirl »

Hi all, so I have this very hairy problem called PCOS, and I was wondering how the Wai diet would impact it. Most sites recommend that PCOS patients cut down sugar intake drastically (and exercise often) to reduce insulin (and subsequently testosterone) levels. I've been reading on other posts about how the Wai diet stresses maintaining a constant blood sugar level, which would pretty much eliminate the need for high insulin surges; from this, I infer that insulin and testosterone (for women) levels should be lowered on this diet as well.

Keeping blood sugars constant makes sense to me, so I have been trying the diet to see if it alleviates my symptoms. As of yet, I'm still struggling to be strict, so I can't rightly say how it's working for me. One thing I noticed: I appear to be very sensitive to sugar intake and apparently need a lot less of it than "normal" people to obtain sufficient energy. This entails that (on this diet) I won't eat enough to get sufficient nutrition because the fruits are so sugar-rich, and I need VERY little sugar even when I am highly active. Yes, I'm more energy-efficient than most appliances (':D'). While other people may need to drink a liter plus of orange juice (with sugar added) to get enough energy, I won't feel like finishing even a half cup of orange juice with olive oil over the course of a day (yes, I do have the egg yolks too, usually 2-4).

So, how are you ladies with PCOS doing on this diet? Is it helping with symptoms? Does anyone else find themselves under-eating like myself? Please share your experiences!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Maybe you can describe PCOS?

Testosterone levels are not just stimulated by high glucose levels, but specifically by high protein levels. Keeping your protein intake relatively low (but not too low, of course) might do the trick for you.
Also, sufficient undamaged cholesterol (raw egg yolks) is key for the balancing hormones.
AlexaGirl

Post by AlexaGirl »

Hey RRM,
Thanks for replying so quickly. Here's a link to a site that describes PCOS far better than I can:
http://www.4woman.gov/FAQ/pcos.htm#a
AlexaGirl

Post by AlexaGirl »

RRM, are you sure that too much protein can worsen/partially cause PCOS? The following site claims that women with PCOS eat too little protein, in fact, and I can relate with that. . .
http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/001article.html
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

AlexaGirl wrote:RRM, are you sure that too much protein can worsen/partially cause PCOS?
I didnt say that. I said that protein consumption correlates with testosterone levels. I dont know about the accumulative effect of protein consumption on PCOS in general.
I guess on the site they dont know about the effects of protein on insulin levels, and they therefore think protein is better than simple carbs, in that respect.

But, yes, when you replace a high carb meal (like pasta or cornflakes) with a (less volumnous) protein dense meal (some cooked turkey, for example), you will probably ingest less insulin stimulating molecules. But that totally depends on the size of the meals, so that your experience may relate to that.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Moved from another thread:
Chai wrote:Hey

I am new here, but I remember Wais diet from some years back, where i read about it and tried to apply some things from it, which at least cleared my skin up. I never did it long enough to see weightloss.

I didn't know then, that I had the disease called PCOS, but I just got the diagnosis a month ago.

I have trouble losing weight due to this condition because the high insulin is saying to the body "store the fat!" and not to go to much into detail I will just say that insulin resistance is the big issue which leads to other problems like weightgain, acne, hairloss and cysts on the ovaries causing infertility in worst case.

I am now taking 1500 mg of Metformin to make the cells more sensitive to the insuline so that I won't produce too much, but in a way I would like to be able to get off medication because I believe it is possible however for now it is nessary because my desire to binge all the time was ruining my life. At least that is less and I am less tired which is another problem.

I have seen several testamonies where ppl have had good results from adapting to a rawfood diet and they have apparently seen the PCOS get healed. Naturally I want that for me.

I have a spiritual background that has me on at least lacto-vegetarian diet, but I am not really crazy about dairy or cooked legumes, so what is left is really only fruit which attracts me naturally and some different leafy greens and of course nuts which has to make out my protein.

I don't understand life like it should be hard. I have been fighting to loose weight and nothing works. To me running, doing fitness or something hard is not what seems natural. I think we walked long distance in the past and this was more normal and so I have decided to start walking back and forth from work (2 hours daily) to get the movement that my doctor is pushing because PCOS generally get better with exerzise and right diet (normally high animal protein :( ) So also in the same aspect of things not being hard, I find that normal rawfood seems to require that we spend huge amounts on superfoods, dried powders and berries from mystical countries and all I want is to be able to get food easily and make it fast. I mainly love fruit...berries, mangoes, banana, apples, peres and it doesn't give me nausea like all the many diets I have tried..powders, shakes, high protein with lots of cheese and meat (YUK!)...none of this seems appealling like fruit. Olive oil with fruit is fine for me, I love almonds and most other nuts and really apart from avocados and certain leafy greens I don't feel attracted naturally to anything else. I have cravings for wheat bread and sugary stuff, but not if I am following natural instinct...

My question or point: does anyone have experience with this type of diet when suffering from PCOS. I want it to go away and I more than anything want to look good and lose weight (don't we all?!) but all I hear is AVOID carbs...and fruit is full of carbs :-/ But why then is that the only thing I am really attracted to, especially when I am nauseous from something else...then fruit always seems appealling....

Sorry for the long tale...hoping for feedback cos I really need something to go on here!!! :D
Im sorry, i'll be back later; im running out of time... :(
Chai

Post by Chai »

OK I hope you will respond later then RRM :-)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

What they dont tell you: amino acids (protein) stimulates insulin as much as glucose does.
What else stimulates insulin?
Big meals.
Luckily for you, on this diet its about eating lots of small meals very frequently.
Actually, how much your insulin system is out of whack doesnt matter so much on this diet,
purely because we eat so many small meals.
So, my advice to you: consume as many small meals (sips of juice) as you can;
the smaller and the more frequent, the better.

A question for you:
Is your insulin level constantly elevated, or is too much insulin secreted in response to a stimulus?

On the downside: it really makes things much more difficult if you dont eat any animal food at all.
Not just regarding vitamin B12, omega 3 fats, iron and zinc, but particularly so regarding cholesterol.
Without dietary cholesterol, you may have to cope with low blood cholesterol levels,
which causes (mild or severe) depressions and moodswings (and even aggression),
so that you are likely having to battle binge-eating.
Cholesterol naturally makes you feel stable, satisfied and happy.
Maybe you are open to the idea of consuming some fresh raw egg yolk?
Chai

Post by Chai »

Hi RRM

Actually I am not sure what to answer to your question. I am thinking it is probably elavated more or less all the time, but I am not sure.

Actually I have already battled binge-eating - for me it ended up being a bulimic tendency where I would throw up, because I really didn't need all the energy I was consuming, but I couldn't really stop my cravings.

You may think it stupid, but my reason for avoiding animal protein is because my spiritual path doesn't allow it and I take it seriously. However when an egg yolk is not fertilized I don't see it as alive in the way you can argue with animals, that you kill to eat them. So I would be open to the yolks, but only that and nuts. Fish is out of the question for me and I am not even sure whether my meditation will be possible when eating eggs, however if my body and my life is messed up like it has been, what is the use talking about meditation you could say :)

My D vitamin was very low 3 months ago and my doctor told me to take suppliments which I have. I am getting a new bloodtest done this monday to see whether it has made a difference.
Low levels of D vit. has been related to both PCOS and Cancer interestingly enough.

Why does fat lower the bloodsugar when we eat the fruit? What happens in the body? I have been trying to google it, but I cannot find much on this.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Chai wrote:However when an egg yolk is not fertilized I don't see it as alive in the way you can argue with animals, that you kill to eat them. So I would be open to the yolks, but only that and nuts.
Perfect.
Can you try introducing them (raw, of course) into your diet?
You will feel the difference.
Why does fat lower the bloodsugar when we eat the fruit?
It does not lower, but stabilize the blood sugar level, as there will be some shift from relying heavily on one energy source to running on 2 energy sources.