teeth

Make up, cream, skin issues, dental issues, dental hygiene, shampoo, dandruff...
summerwave
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

coconut oil pH

Post by summerwave »

From what I looked up in my notes, coconut oil has a pH more like human skin (whose pH=5)-- which is why in part it's considered so good on skin.

Anything used in the mouth down to a pH of 4.0, I noted from my readings (as a pH of 4 is just acidic enough to disturb the plaque without disturbing the enamel) is okay.

Too basic and it seems to encourage Candida growth in the mouth (oral thrush).

It seems from this I was still unsure, plus the iodine painting of the tongue works well, so I continued, and continue now, to use Toothsoap.

Perhaps when my supply is used up I will be glad to use coconut oil. Indeed, at pretty much the right pH, it would seem to help with plaque without affecting enamel. Certainly in Iris's post above it seems to work very well indeed.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Good to hear Iris. :)

Interesting about the coconut oil, I'll give it a try myself.
coconutty

Post by coconutty »

Perhaps looking at the fruits by acid content, and limiting daily consumption of high-acidity fruits, and in general increasing amount of low-acidity fruits can prevent some of the tooth decay.

Can basic fruits neutralize the effect of acidic fruits?

If one only brushes teeth once a day, when is the best time to do it?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Has anyone considered that grains leave sticky residues that promote tooth problems? Since, I've been eating lots of fruit, acid, too. I have had great dental health. I'm thinking if you have all the right nutrients and aren't coating your teeth with starch you wont' need to worry about your teeth. I'd like to see if this is noticeable on a large group other than just me.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

coconutty wrote:Can basic fruits neutralize the effect of acidic fruits?
No, but the less acidic fruits you eat, the smaller their effect, of course.
If one only brushes teeth once a day, when is the best time to do it?
Traditionally? Before you go to bed.
Some consider brushing your teeth as removing the protective layer.
Seems logical, but I dont know whether its correct. (I do brush my teeth)
I guess eating whole fruits has the same effects as brushing; as you bite in an apple, your teeth get cleaned by the apple. Of course there will also be residue, but that may get cleaned up by eating the next fruit...
fictor

Post by fictor »

Teeth update!

I have used a fluoride mouth wash, as recommended by my dentist, for the past 6 months or so. Yesterday I went for a checkup and the dentist said my teeth where harder and smoother! :D

I make sure to flush my mouth with water after eating, I use a straw for juice, I brush (soft brush, no toothpaste) morning and evening, floss and use the fluoride mouthwash. This seems to let me eat Wai style without loosing my pretty smile :)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Good to hear :)
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I read a while back, in one of the teeth threads, that if you're brushing your teeth in the morning, you should do it before eating anything/breakfast. Is this true? and if so why? I would have assumed it would be better to brush them right after eating, because you would be cleaning off whatever you just ate.

Sorry, I can't seem to find the thread to reference, so it could also be possible I'm mis-quoting.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:I read a while back, in one of the teeth threads, that if you're brushing your teeth in the morning, you should do it before eating anything/breakfast. Is this true? and if so why?
Yes, because when you eat something, the PH gets adjusted,
making your teeth temporarily more vulnerable.
Thats why you should do it prior to breakfast, when they are still hard,
to prevent damage.
Possible food remainders can be removed by flossing or the use of dental picks.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Last night, I had an excruciating toothache at my top left molar. It was the worst pain I ever felt! I couldn't sleep for 2 to 3 hours! I remember last year I had a dental check. The guy told me I had a slight tooth decay at my top left molar. I didn't plan on doing any treatment as I thought it would go away on its own.

The pain has since subsided this morning when I woke up but I still feel a dull ache. What do you think I should do? When a tooth is decayed, does that mean the tooth is dead? I thought it will regenerate and repair itself? I have been brushing my teeth with no toothpaste for about 1 and a half years now.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Like the rest of our body, teeth can repair and regenerate to a certain extent. Tooth decay means bacteria produce acid which might dissolve tooth material, thereby creating a cavity. When the cavity gets too big and reaches the nerve of the tooth, the nerve will get infected and will eventually die. To protect itself the nerve will (slowly) create more dentin from the inside of the nerve/root canal, but that might not be enough if the caries progresses. At the current state of dental affairs, once the caries reaches the nerve, you need a root canal treatment to remove the nerve and all the caries.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Is it really necessary to have a root canal treatment? What about people in the past who have tooth decay? Back then, there were no dentists. If people back then can cope with it, I am sure we are able to cope with it too, no?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Depends how far back you go but a) they suffered and/or b) got the tooth pulled. If I remember correctly they found a root canal done during the time of the Roman (or was it Greek?) empire.

If you do nothing, there are several possibilities, but in any case you'll have a tooth with a hole in it.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Do animals suffer from toothaches or is this just a human condition? What is the cause of tooth decay anyway?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Animals can also get tooth decay, but I think it's mostly domesticated animals.

Bacteria, like Streptococcus Mutans metabolize sugars and secrete lactic acid. If the condition of the tooth, i.c enamel, isn't optimal, it demineralizes. If that deminerization isn't repaired, it will become a cavity.