mineral oil

Make up, cream, skin issues, dental issues, dental hygiene, shampoo, dandruff...
Gerard
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

mineral oil

Post by Gerard »

Is it harmful to use mineral oil on the skin occasionally (the same way one would use walnut oil: on slightly damp skin after showering...)?
The mineral oil does not have added vitamin E.

In fact the part of the site on oils refers to mineral oil...it seems to quote other online sources, which I will also include here (from an organic/health site in the UK):
Mineral oil :
Coats skin like clingfilm - disrupts the skin's immune barrier & inhibits its ability to breathe or absorb moisture or nutrition. Inability to release toxins results in blocked pores, spots, acne & other skin disorders. Slows down skin function & cell development & therefore leads to premature ageing of skin. (See Paraffin)

It seems if I use it occasionally (when I cannot get glycerin while traveling), it will still work for me.... I use it during the day-- not when the skin is healing at night.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Minerals are a bit aggressive for the skin, so that we need to know whether this oil is high in minerals.
Gerard

mineral oil

Post by Gerard »

No, it is liquid petrolatum (a hydrocarbon like that, and also related to paraffin, Vaseline, etc., but completely liquid in viscosity)....

In the States it is also known as 'baby oil.'

I season my kitchen cutting boards with it, as it is recommended for that use--

It completely blocks out water. It has a nice feel on the skin and is less sticky than glycerin, or even a glycerin/water mix like the product called Aqualin.

On the former version of this bboard, Wai posted on it once and said it coated the skin and was harmful for that reason. I didn't understand the difference in this respect from coconut oil, which seems very occlusive... though it has water content, probably, and things can pass through the water whereas that cannot with petroleum jelly or mineral oil.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ok, well then you can use it on the skin where there is little risk of blocking sebaceous glands. On the other hand, you might prefer a more solid version (like vaseline?) so that there is a lesser risk of skin 'penetration'.
How does your skin respond?
Gerard

mineral oil

Post by Gerard »

I thought to try it (just recently) on different areas of the face (under the eyes; on the cheeks; just around the mouth) to see which areas it works best... and then I will use it only there.

Generally, it irritates around the eyes (under them) very little, whereas most other oils seem to get in my eyes and irritate them a lot-- gets on my lashes and my eyes start getting red, etc.

It gives the skin a very soft, nice feel.... I rather like it though it is not as natural an oil as coconut or walnut.... would be rather regretful to completely avoid using it....
Gerard

petroleum jelly

Post by Gerard »

After some use, I think I prefer the mineral oil (not the jelly), as it is less shiny on the surface of the skin.

If you think the jelly is better, I do follow your advice.. (quite a lot!)-- I am going to keep trying it.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I think the jelly is better because its 'sits on the skin', whereas a more liquid substances are more likely to penetrate the skin to some extend.
When it just sits on the skin, its adverse properties will less likely affect your skin.
But do your own experimentation, indeed, to find what suits you best.
Gerard

petroleum jelly

Post by Gerard »

I've realized the shininess is probably about the same; it is just that the mineral oil is easier to spread without 'pulling' the skin under the eyes (which is quite delicate; I have red hair and very fair skin that shows sun damage and takes insults hard)....

But I now have a tub of petroleum jelly and remain willing to try this permanently, as what you have said makes good sense.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

In wai's list of bad skin-care ingredients 100% mineral oil is described as being like wrapping your skin in plastic, and doesn't not allow your skin to release toxins.

It's listed red, as in very bad.

Don't know about less than 100% though.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Thank you Mr PC!
Greghowiee

Re: mineral oil

Post by Greghowiee »

Mineral oil is mainly used for the treatment of constipation. The body has a natural protective mechanism that tries to repel synthetic ingredients. Because Mineral the body rejects it and it continues to ride on top of the skin.