fruit and teeth

Make up, cream, skin issues, dental issues, dental hygiene, shampoo, dandruff...
toaster
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

fruit and teeth

Post by toaster »

I was excited about this diet after implementing it to different degrees for about a month because of how it made me feel--enegetic, on-point, pretty much a lot of the positive effects people describe.

Then, unfortunately it made my teeth not feel very healthy. I noticed a slight redecing of my gums which I attribute partially to brushing too hard. I guess it is very common for people to brush too hard----I've since stopped that and now use a softer toothbrush and a less abrasive toothpaste. The concern though is that my brushing habits didn't change; Only my diet did. I've always brushed that hard, which, as I said, I think is too hard, but I never had receding gums or bleeding while brushing. In fact, I went to the dentist right before I started experimenting with the diet and was told my teeth and gums looked very good--I've been brushing and flossing twice a day. I did brush my teeth after eating an orange but that was only one day, then I read on these forums not to do that.

I started reading about how fruit is not what it used to be. How it didn't used to be as sweet and it is now pretty much just hybridized to be as sweet as possible so people buy it, calling it "nature's candy". It is much different from what it was thousands of years ago and throughout human evolution. I think the massive amount of fruit might have at least something to do with my teeth feeling like this.

I've actually stopped the diet 100% because of this for 2 days and already my teeth feel so much better. Thinking about consuming a bunch of fruit right now makes me cringe at how it would make my teeth feel--I know exactly how it would feel. So, my question is for anybody, but I'd be curious to know what RRM thinks about this. I haven't been eating organic fruit if that matters. Is there truth to the idea that fruit is much sweeter than it used to be? Any dentist, (if you want to believe what they say) would tell you that eating a lot fruit is bad for your teeth. I've read online stories from ex-frutiarians about them losing their teeth, etc.

I believe this may have been discussed somewhere in the Wai forums but I can't remember if this is where I was reading it or not. Either way, that forum was quesitioning hypothetically that it could be bad for teeth. I've got more than a hypothetical concern--my teeth don't feel healthy on this diet and since I've been off it feel much better. RRM? Anybody else?
I was really bummed about having to go off the diet at first, but am now content as I know I've learned a lot and feel I've detoxified myself to a significant degree. I am burdened with acne but it's mild as it's usually uninflamed blackheads that result mostly from lack of sleep. Ideally, I'd like to be able to re-implement at least parts of the diet but need some feedback on this problem?

Thanks,

Toaster
toaster

Post by toaster »

Hasn't dental care come a long way in the past 50 to 100 years. At first I would say doubtless. Then I think about Egyptian mummies that are uncovered and I think they have a lot or all of their teeth still intact. But then, most of them only lived to be like 40 right? Plus they would have been eating the ancient, less-sweet fruit.
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

I too was a little sceptical about the sheer amount of orange juice that most of the Wai-followers here appear to consume each day. However, if it were true that one's teeth would go rotten as a result, I doubt many individuals would continue this lifestyle for a significant length of time.

Speaking personally, I am unable to purchase sufficient oranges at an inexpensive price, and therefore do not consume anything like the litres of orange juice that the majority of Wai-followers would appear to. However, I like to think that I am able to achieve similar results by eating whole fruits, in particular apples, but also more tomato, cucumber and other fruits that are arguably less sweet.

I'm unsure if this necessarily helps you, but I too agree that the general public - certainly in Japan at least - seem to demand very sweet fruit; most of the fruits grown in this country appear to be of the sweeter variety, which - whilst delicious - can become a little bland over time: I for one particularly enjoy tart, slightly sour apples, however these are nigh on impossible to find here.

Take care,
James
x
nick

Re: fruit-not what it used to be

Post by nick »

toaster wrote: Then, unfortunately it made my teeth not feel very healthy. I noticed a slight redecing of my gums which I attribute partially to brushing too hard. I guess it is very common for people to brush too hard----I've since stopped that and now use a softer toothbrush and a less abrasive toothpaste.
I have noticed this as well. I don't need to brush as harder as I used to. My gums seem to have receded a little bit, but not too much. My gums feel and look tighter (maybe less water retention or lack of cooked foods).
I think the massive amount of fruit might have at least something to do with my teeth feeling like this.
Did you ever notice your tongue getting red bumps or acid burned?
I did, and my teeth showed it too. RRM has said to consume only the ripest fruits. Shopping for fruits and them letting ripen is essential in making sure they are ready to eat. The riper the better, this way their are less acids. I think this is your problem. I figured it out and my teeth are much cleaner, smoother and even stronger.

I've read online stories from ex-frutiarians about them losing their teeth, etc.
I have heard the same thing. I wonder if they consumed well ripened fruit? Also, fruitarians don't eat animal food and they don't consume (enough?) vitamin D. Vitamin D is essential for bone and dental health, even though it is activated by sunlight, maybe they don't get enough from the sun? Here are some sources of Vit. D that is on this diet:

Calcium ; Hazelnuts, dried currants, figs, egg yolk, Brazil nuts, tamarind and olives contain the most, but walnuts, raisins, oranges, kiwis and mandarins also contain much calcium.

Vitamin D ; Vitamin D is composed of cholesterol, requiring indirect sunlight. Fish and egg yolk also contain vitamin D.

I've noticed in the past few weeks, that when I wake up in the morning, my teeth feel amazingly super clean. It's like they have been cleaning themselves the whole night. Amazing!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I agree. I think we have to adjust our brushing patterns and habits.
This is the topic you were referring to, I believe: http://www.acneboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133
Somehow some posts got changed or pictures got deleted though...

Bass method:

in practice:

and
Last edited by Oscar on Mon 30 Jan 2006 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

On the subject of ripe fruit, where do bananas fit into this equation?

I often purchase bananas that are browning as they are typically half the price of their non-ripe, greeny-yellow counterparts. I have always thought that ripe, browning bananas are sweeter and therefore contain a higher sugar content.

Is this correct, or am I way off the boil? Furthermore, would such ripeness be more harful to ones teeth, given the assumed sugar content?

Thank you, take care,
James
x
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

You are correct James. Check out the link to the thread I mention in my previous post. :)
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Thank you, however the link is invalid.

Cheers,
James
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

toaster

Post by toaster »

It is possible the fruit I've been eating was not ripe enough. Out of all the fruits I can think of, it is apples and oranges that I'm not sure how to judge ripeness. I just know that with oranges I try to select the ones that have the boldest orange color. Is the wrong? Other fruits, I find it pretty easy to judge ripeness. Incidentally, oranges and apples are what I was eating the most of.

It is also possible the diet has nothing to do with this. All I know is that on Friday, Jan. 27th. , I was brushing my teeth, noticed blood in my spit, looked inside my mouth to see what was going on, and noticed the gums receded...Read about fruitarians losing their teeth, dentists advising against massive fruit consumption, panicked and jumped off the wagon.

It's possible my gums were receding all along and I just didn't notice, but never the blood, which was the tip off for me. So if my brushing habits remained constant but my diet changed, I questioned the diet.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the diet and am fascinated by it, which is why I was experimenting with it. I was very excited and completely convinced, but when I noticed a problem with my teeth, the decision to stop the diet was easy. I know that in a rush every morning I would brush vigorously on the place where the gums have receded, which seems to point towards an obvious culprit, but in the same breath, would like to think I would notice the gums receding when I flossed up close in the mirror everyday.

Nick,
I didn't have any redness, etc. as you describe.--Always a very healthy pink---Just the receding gums. I take it your dental problem was not enough for you stop the diet? And you say your gums have stopped receding? Do you still have tooth sensitivity as a result of the exposed part of the tooth/teeth?

And I'm sorry to hear about Spring's teeth problem, I know my issue pales in comparison

The issue I would really like to get at the heart of is the idea that fruit is not what it used to be. So, we are all implementing a diet based on what human beings have consumed throughout evolution/history-- but the fruit, arguably this biggest part of the diet, is different. Does this not matter? Is the difference negligible or what? It's now hybridized to be sweeter and not ripened on thetree, therefore missing out on a lot of the nutrients it would absorb from the plant when ripening on the tree. It is picked when it is green so that it can be shipped around the world without spoiling. This, as I understand, would result in fruit with high acid content, unless it was allowed to ripen. But that's ripening off the tree/plant. Does this not matter?
nick

Post by nick »

Once I started eating riper oranges, my problems went away! The softer they are, the riper. I juice florida juice oranges and you can taste how sweet they are after juicing.
adonis

Post by adonis »

For the record, I have noticed the past couple of days that a couple of my teeth are very sensitive and that my gumline seems to be receding a little to where the nerves are slightly exposed. I have had this problem in the past but noticed my teeth and gums are acting up in strange ways lately.

I too have decided to scale back and modify the diet to see what works best. See viewtopic.php?t=306

I use a soft toothbrush too.

I think if we continue to read and learn, we'll find a happy medium.

AD
sunpower9

Post by sunpower9 »

My teeth were really bad on cooked food(junk food and coke) especially the front upper teeth, and I was even more scared to follow a high fruit diet and I have been doing it since 2 yrs and 100% since 4 months and I can tell you that my teeth instead of getting worse are doing much better on this diet.The outer cover of the teeth is now slowly getting filled up.What do you people have to say to this :)
adonis

Post by adonis »

Are you the great pinocchio? LOL.

My teeth were doing fine but lately have become ultra sensative.