Junk food just doesn't taste good any more

Share your testimony to encourage others.
Brazilnuts
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Junk food just doesn't taste good any more

Post by Brazilnuts »

(This is copied from my diet diary) I thought I should share this with others who might be finding it difficult to give up junk food. Whilst I still don't understand why this happened, I think some people might find the actual events encouraging.

:P

Last night I consumed two half pound burgers and one fried chicken drumstick. They tasted HORRIBLE! I was shocked. I just could not believe it. In desperation I added my favourite ketchup (Heinz) to the food, but still could not get much enjoyment out of them. How is this possible? I have only been on the diet for a few days! It was as if I could not even taste the food any more. The cheese was tasteless. The mayonnaise was bland. Chewing the meat was what I would imagine chewing TASTELESS cardboard would be like. Horrid. I was very disappointed. After all, this cost me £7!

So today I decided to find out if something was wrong with my taste buds or if those burgers were just lousy. I ate Wai-style as usual for the first part of the day. The mango and olive oil tasted WONDERFUL. Heck, I even licked the plate clean! :lol:

Concluding that perhaps the burgers were lousy because my taste buds seemed to work just fine on the Wai diet, I left things at that. However this evening I had a cunning plan :twisted: I was going to pitch those burgers against my favourite burger ever! Well, ONE of my favourite burgers ever...you see I have two. One is called The Whopper and is available only at Burger King, and the other one is called The Quarter Pounder with cheese and is available only at McDonald's.

I went to McDonald's as we don't have a Burger King restaurant around here. I ordered the Quarter Pounder with cheese meal (medium size) and balked at the taste of the chips/fries first of all. They tasted...bland. I was surprised at this. Yet again, in desperation, I whipped out the small pot of Heinz tomato ketchup that comes with the meal and still, the chips did not taste that good. In fact, they tasted worse with the ketchup. This was a first!!! So I ate the rest of the chips without any ketchup.

Then it was time for the Quarter Pounder with cheese burger. Meh. It tasted only marginally better than the burger from last night. In dismay I rushed over to yet again TEST another favourite burger of mine...the McChicken Sandwich. It did not taste good either so I'd just wasted £6.18 on yet another crappy burger meal! *sob*.

Even the coke I ordered tasted 'funny'. I struggled to swallow it. In fact, I think that was the first time ever where I finished a burger meal and had to walk out with the coke drink because I could not finish it. I took the drink with me on the bus and sipped at it all the way home without much enthusiasm. It was as if my body was literally physically rejecting it. Sometimes it took ages for me to swallow it down. I had to swish it around in my mouth first and take smaller swallows instead.

I really need to get to the bottom of this anomaly. Why is junk food not tasting even half as good as it used to? What has the Wai diet done to my favourite (junk) treats?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yes, plus it's a funny story, I find. ;)
Gerard

positive differences

Post by Gerard »

I posted recently that it is an amazing feeling to not feel cravings for foods, once the diet is truly established in one...

What seemed 'emotional' about the struggle to give up certain things was worn away for me by an urgent need to get better...so much of it was really not a struggle, but a necessity....
But when one is accustomed to the diet, it is really very easy to look at it in a positive way, which is that it is really that it is very clever in dealing with a susceptibility to dirty protein and the other factors....

For example, I now think...given that this is a problem, I now have an ingenious way to sidestep nearly every dietary problem: raw protein instead of cooked or damaged (with no net loss of protein)---- juiced fruits instead of fruits made in a blender--- All of the tiny differences in food preparation that make all the difference in the world.

It is much less emotional to think this way, though of course it is not really 'tricking' the body-- Just distinguishing finely between factors, once one has the right information.
Gerard

dietary ingenuity

Post by Gerard »

For some time, too, I look at "raw vegan" type recipes-- which seemed so attractive (many of the fruit-nut desserts).... It seemed they LOOKED more like the foods I was "used to"...And I even had some temptation toward the dehydrated low-sugar fruit recipes (bell pepper purees mixed with crushed nuts and dehydrated to make crackers, etc.)...

Slowly the problems with this occurred to me as I leafed through these recipe books: many raw vegan type recipes heavily use nuts, and even though there is lots of careful soaking and blending and low-temp.-dehydrating 'to preserve enzymes'-- In fact the nuts are starting off all wrong for the Wai diet, as they are probably already full of 'dirty' protein from the way they were shelled.... so all subsequent low-temperature treatment (while admirable for raw foodists) does not help those with the particular susceptibility the Wai diet addresses.

Once you can really look at foods coolly, for what they are-- and see the simple and ingenious ways to sidestep the problems (with no loss of taste or pleasure)-- it really is less of a mental game. There are just certain very easy factors to tweak that make all the difference in the world.

Sometimes I think there is a level of willfulness in each person-- heavily shored-up by 'addiction' to some of the substances in cooked food-- that makes change seem impossible. But really, so much of this diet is a substitution exercise where the treatment of foods is just minimally tweaked to get the right result, based on what the diet has found the causes of acne to be. It's really revolutionary when the mind comes around to this..... essentially to the point that 'it's not so hard'.
Brazilnuts

Re: dietary ingenuity

Post by Brazilnuts »

Gerard wrote: Sometimes I think there is a level of willfulness in each person-- heavily shored-up by 'addiction' to some of the substances in cooked food-- that makes change seem impossible.
:o Gosh, you are soooo right!

I had no idea how badly I would react to not being able to enjoy my favourite junk foods any more that I went into a kind of food mourning.

Then I quit the Wai diet and eventually found junk food tasty again.

I'm trying to cut down though, but I hate the thought of losing the enjoyment of eating burgers and fried food. I just wish there was a way I could be on the Wai diet and ENJOY my munch food of junk food.

This sucks.

:(
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yeah, it all comes down to if you choose the blue pill or the red pill...;)
Gerard

discernment

Post by Gerard »

Yes; all I can say is that once you pass a level of not having extreme cravings, it just becomes a sort of cat-and-mouse game with the body....

(Doesn't like fruits from the blender; fruits from a proper juicer okay)...

And you get so it is really easy to reject things: even putatively healthy raw foods from other raw diets that include vegetables.

(I now look at the raw vegan recipe books-- to use this example again- and first of all think, Wow, that's a lot of nuts! (they are in every recipe, it seems)-- and at the same time: where's the sugar you're supposed to be operating on? Since so many recipes are veg. ones that in many ways are supposed to 'resemble' cooked food......) Looks very uncomfortable to eat a lot of fat with no real sugar to really fuel you, though the food looks so tasty....

This is my experience; cravings and addictions can be really hard, but once you get over most of the basic ones, it is simply really easy to have your body and mind both make the choices in ways that are super-simple, and super-fast and easy..... No hands down, the Wai diet always seems the most favorable way to eat to me when I am looking for energy.
Brazilnuts

Re: discernment

Post by Brazilnuts »

Gerard wrote:This is my experience; cravings and addictions can be really hard, but once you get over most of the basic ones, it is simply really easy to have your body and mind both make the choices in ways that are super-simple, and super-fast and easy....
That is true. Thank you. Good news; I am back on the Wai diet, with limited munch foods. Sunday is the day I get to try some proper munch foods, although I can already guess that it won't taste so good, given that even the limited munch foods I eat now don't taste all that great. I am preparing myself for the disappointment I will feel when I take those first few bites. It is coping with the 'loss' (of taste) that really upset me in the past.

Fruits and nuts still taste good (hmmm, try eating the pulp from carrot mixed with lemon juice, and optional oil/Brazil nuts...yummy!). I reckon increasing my egg yolks to 4 a day helped a great deal with the cravings for munch foods. Thank God for raw egg yolks! :lol:
summerwave

cravings

Post by summerwave »

I have posted on the Board re: Candida and the cravings it occasions; I wanted to say how much easier cravings are to handle after being in treatment for Candida while on this diet.

In a way, those of us who struggled with Candida or parasite problems understand overwhelming cravings- even for Wai-approved foods like sugar; fruit-- better than anyone. The pull of addictive substances in prepared foods is parallel to these difficult-to-ignore cravings.

I just wanted to thank RRM for allowing all the space on the board to talk about Candida; for many reasons I think it is a key topic for those embarking on the diet. Certainly the issue of cravings is enormous.
RRM
Administrator

Re: cravings

Post by RRM »

summerwave wrote:I just wanted to thank RRM for allowing all the space on the board to talk about Candida; for many reasons I think it is a key topic for those embarking on the diet. Certainly the issue of cravings is enormous.
Thank you. You can use as much space as you want; webspace is not at all expensive anymore and typed words require hardly any space :-)
summerwave

re:

Post by summerwave »

I think I'm done now

:lol:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

:D
summerwave

cravings

Post by summerwave »

It is quite astonishing when the mind's overactivity no longer rules; when a greater sense of life takes over-- not really through meditation or any technique of stilling it, but possibly just through maturity.

One may happen upon the strong sense that the intellect is not all there is; that it has its limits.

It is equally astonishing when physical cravings for the wrong foods die down.

Both are a type of misuse of body and mind. They are unmistakably false after awhile, though it feels like the pull is strong. They are really 2 sides of the same coin.

When this type of overactivity ceases, one is in amazingly clear territory.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I agree. :)
summerwave

rare sense

Post by summerwave »

To curb one's actions in the face of physical cravings is the one genuine use of control.

Sometimes I've felt that people give themselves up to the mind's orders because they crave the sense of control (trying to control time, in particular, which is nonsensical).... And so much is expended doing this, and it is so forceful, that they must escape through total surrender and lack of control to the wrong food, drink, stimulants, sedatives.

When one does not try to control things anymore-- also through a kind of maturity-- it is easy, in a very transitional way, to exert the controls and restrictions of adopting this diet. Once this is done, it is amazing to give over to the body's real needs-- not the mind's wants for stimulation and fogginess-- but to the essential body's real desires.

I do feel in a way without the sort of mental easing -- its war against all that is; against the body-- one will never truly practice nutrition well; be truly at ease, and clear.