knowledge is wonderful, but you need to keep questioning it

Share your testimony to encourage others.
zazuna
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by zazuna »

Both Amber and CurlyGirl,

thanks so much for informative and supportive replies. So far I have been hoping just to rely on the diet to improve the situation with my hormones. I did not know anything about supplements until you both brougth them up. I will have to look into this option more closely.

This is my third day on the diet, going perfectly. I really abhor all other kinds of foods except what we eat on Wai's diet. It is easy, especially knowing that what I eat will improve the way I feel, look, and the chances of having a successful natural pregnancy--something I want most of all. So there are so many things that are at stake for me, that following the diet makes me strong, confident, and in control of my life.

Please, if you find something else on the supplements, post it here. I will also continue researching what are the most up-to-date solutions for this problem, i.e. PCOS, estrogen dominance, insulin resistane.

Amber, I am not actually sure how to test whether I have insulin resistance or not. I definitely feel and look much better since I started regular workout routine this January. It is true, fat mostly accumulates around my middle and is the hardest to get rid off. But I am not overweight as well. It is not about being overweight, as far as I know, but adding excess weight will surely aggravate one's condition.

So, I think diet and regular physical activity in combination should have a strong postiive effect alrady for hormonal balance. I think we should ask Wai or RRM about supplements, though, are they really healthy--some of them contain gelatin, for example, and Wai wrote that it is not completely Wai to consume them. Do our bodies really absorb them effectively?

Another question, would progesterone cream be a good natural solution for PCOS? What does it consist of?

Thank you and let's find more info!

Masha
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I wouldn't really go for supplements (http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/3/index.html), but adjust the diet if specific things are needed. Like more cholesterol from fish.
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

You're welcome zazuna :) I actually tried a progesterone cream a couple years ago, when my cycles were even more out of whack than they are now, and I unfortunately didn't have any changes, but, again, it would probably be a temporary solution, and not actually fix the problem. Yes, I agree that it would be good to simply continue with the Wai diet 100% for now, faithfully, and see what it does for your hormonal balance - just cutting out the foods that you used to eat and replacing them with these wonderfully nourishing foods may be enough to help you - who knows? :wink: That would be great! If you get "The Garden of Fertility" and decide to "chart" your cycles, then you will have even more information about how your body is effected cycle to cycle as well 8)

CurlyGirl - thank you :) I have read some of Mary Enig's work - mostly the "Nourishing Traditions" cookbook, and a few articles here and there, but I am familiar with much of her work and she's one of my nutrition "heros" along with Weston Price, Sally Fallon, Wai (and RRM, of course :wink:), and Dr. Mercola - all people I believe are interested in finding the truth about health and diet, disregarding fame or fortune. I can identify with this, being a truth-seeker myself :D I actually already have some cod liver oil on the way, and some raw Butter Oil from New Zealand grass-fed cows in the fridge to take with it, a la Price's studies and to feed the "prostaglandin pathways." I'm trying to add coconut oil into my diet as well, I just wish I liked the flavor of it enough to eat it by the spoonful - I've only tried the kind that is fermented for 24 hours while it's separating, though - do you know if the "quick drying" method makes the oil taste different? I've been mashing it in with a banana, which is ok, but maybe I'll try gently melting it and mixing it with olive oil for my salad or something.

I am aware of the atrocities of trans fats :evil: , and yet for some reason I have the most difficult time going to the movies - which we do a couple of times per month - and not eating popcorn(Eek), so I just swore off it yesterday and have decided to either bring my own air-popped popcorn with butter as a munch food, or just bring a banana and some hand-shelled nuts, which would obviously be best. This is my only source of trans fats, so I will now have them cut out completely and now maybe my charts will be better than they might have been :D I just began charting one week ago. I'm glad to hear that you're using FA:) Did your charts change any after you began the Wai diet? It's going to be ideal for me and my fiance, especially once my charts are healthier and more "normal."

Oscar :) I would agree with Wai that many supplements are truly bogus, but since I have had certain supplements help me tremendously in the past, I can't believe that ALL supplements are worthless. It is true, though, that all of the supplements that I've taken starting about 4-5 years ago have all been free of synthetics - mostly whole-food based and organic. I'm definately not talking about toxic "One-a-Day" or "Centrum Silver," or other synthesized isolated vitamin/mineral supplements. Some of the supplements I've taken do have gelatin in the capsules, though. I consider all supplements I've taken to obviously be "munch" foods.

So, after looking further into the supplement program for PCOS that I wrote of earlier, I would not recommend taking it because there are isolated vitamins in some of the supplements. We may be able to learn something from the content of the supplements, though. For instance, we can increase our foods with Zinc (yolks, brazil nuts) and Manganese (pineapple, pecans) content(ingredients listed on the supplements), as these seem to be important elements for our hormonal balance and tissue repair(Zinc), as well as for proper glucose utilization/blood sugar control and thyroid function(Manganese).

~Amber
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Well, I guess it comes down to the question if you need more of a specific substance, and if that substance can be gotten through a natural way or not.
Your diet should provide you with everything you need, and then you wouldn't need any supplements.

So I know we're not talking about the multi-vitamins or vit. C supplements, but if more is needed from something, there is always a diet way. :)
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

You're welcome, Masha.

Amber :-D The people you mentioned as your 'food heroes' are precisely my heroes too... although sometimes Mercola's persistent promotion of his own products (especially whey protein) really gets on my nerves. But his website is extremely informative, and I have passed many of his articles (on soy, microwaves, alternatives to HRT, etc) on to various friends and family members of mine.

For me, the taste of coconut oil is absolutely delicious, though it did take some getting used to when I began consuming larger amounts of it - it made me a little nauseous for a few days. But now I'm fine!

Regarding FA and the Wai diet, my cycle was always very normal and regular, but I got extreme menstrual cramps before I started the Wai diet, which have now completely disappeared (especially with increased yolk-intake before my period). Before Wai, when I charted according to the FA method, my cycle was exactly 28 days. Now, it is changing - sometimes 35 days (eep!), sometimes 29. So obviously my hormones are re-configuring themselves on this diet (and also I have been under a lot of academic stress lately, which does influence the cycle considerably). I am hoping it will settle down. Meanwhile my partner and I just use other methods of contraception...

Oscar - I agree with you (and I therefore also agree with Amber's revised position on supplements), and I am - anyway - on a specific quest to tweak my version of the Wai diet so that I am taking in all necessary nutrients without resorting to supplements. However, I will say that, with regard to specific health conditions (eg PCOS), sometimes a whole-food-sourced supplement might be useful, but it requires a person to be tuned into their body to see whether its effects are entirely positive or not.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Difficult Choice: to Pill or not to Pill?

Post by RRM »

zazuna wrote:maybe RRM can give some insight on whether the Wai diet is actually a good way to control PCOS syndromes (whish are hormonal but heavily depend on the diet)
Levels of hormones, insulin and neurotransmitters are intertwined, so that diet is of great importance regarding fighting PCOS syndromes.
Particularly keeping your blood sugar level constant, ingesting sufficient cholesterol and fats, and eating specific foods are key.
Your hormone levels are represented by your mood, so that once you have managed to 'always' be in a good mood, you know you are managing your hormone levels well.
For tips, see www.13.waisays.com
zazuna wrote: I think we should ask Wai or RRM about supplements, though, are they really healthy--.... Do our bodies really absorb them effectively?
The problem with vitamin supplements is that our body indeed absorbs them effectively. Not because we need them, but because they are too much concentrated to sufficiently be selectively taken up.
In other words: with vitamins and minerals in natural foods, our body can decide how much to take up, while with supplements the body is FORCED to take up more.
And, when forced to take up more, the effects may be devastating. www.3.waisays.com
zazuna wrote: Another question, would progesterone cream be a good natural solution for PCOS? What does it consist of?
There is only ONE natural solution; enabling your body to recover without forcing it in any way.
This requires to supply your body with all the right conditions (sufficient sunlight exposure, sleep, destressing, cholesterol, fat and a constant small influx of sugar, along with consuming foods that do not interfere with your hormone / neurotransmitter metabolism).
Bambi726 wrote:A supplement that REALLY helps me is called Vitalzym - it's a systemic enzyme supplement that eats away at proteins that don't belong in your body - such as excessive scar tissue, fibroids, etc, and is completely natural.
Im sorry, but thats not possible, technically.
Yes, there are many protein degrading enzymes, but they are not 'smart', and cannot distinct between required and redundant / 'bad' proteins.
What enzymes exactly are in this supplement?
Bambi726 wrote:So, does the Wai diet keep insulin from being released as much because of the balance of fats and sugars, or does it just cause the insulin to be released at a slower rate, but the same amount?
No, not the same amount; less. (about 40%!)
With other diets, there is a greater turnaround of energy; more storage and subsequent utilisation of stored energy, requiring more insulin and glucagon secretion.
The smaller and more frequent your meals, the less energy needs to be converted, hence less insulin and glucagon required.
bambi726 wrote:...I actually already have some cod liver oil on the way...
The liver of any animal is stuffed with vitamin A, which has pharmaceutical properties in high doses.
bambi726 wrote:I would agree with Wai that many supplements are truly bogus, but since I have had certain supplements help me tremendously in the past, I can't believe that ALL supplements are worthless.
The only time a supplement may be helpful, is when a Dr has established that you actually lack a certain nutrient.
But even then, its better to ingest this nutrient by consuming natural foods rich in this particular nutrient.
What nutrient did you lack in the past?
CurlyGirl wrote:... However, I will say that, with regard to specific health conditions (eg PCOS), sometimes a whole-food-sourced supplement might be useful...
Like what?
What kind of supplement?
CurlyGirl wrote: Also, don't forget that the body needs ample vitamin A for every step of hormone production from cholesterol to oestrogen and progesterone. Fibroid tumours caused by hormonal imbalance have been completely eliminated with high doses of vitamin A (up to 90,000 IU daily).
High intakes of vitamin A have pharmaceutical properties, and can therefore be very harmful, so that supplementation when not supervised by a professional, and properly applied for medical reasons, is not advised at all.
Last edited by RRM on Wed 12 Apr 2006 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

...ooops :oops:

Yes, I must admit, RRM is the voice of reason here. It is just difficult for me (and some others) to shake off the years of conditioning that have compelled us to believe that supplements are good for you and can be taken without risk. Thanks for your advice and explanations, RRM. You remind me of the importance of questioning everything, relentlessly.
zazuna

Post by zazuna »

Thank you RRM for answering my question. It is great news that right diet helps control insluin production and thus balance hormones. I am on Day 6 of the 100% diet, it is not difficult at all!!! I am so happy I am doing it. And, girls, I have actually been suprised to see my period subside faster than usual, diet does affect your hormones!
I am happy that I am on this diet and that I decided not to take the birth control pill. I will keep you posted on my progress.