source of inspiration?

Share your testimony to encourage others.
CurlyGirl
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by CurlyGirl »

Ooooh, I forgot one:

6) Naomi Wolf - Misconceptions: Truth, Lies and the Unexpected on the Journey to Motherhood (Wolf is a feminist writer, famous for The Beauty Myth. Misconceptions is her personal memoir about being pregnant for the first time, and all the challenges she faced. It also happens to be a very well-researched text regarding the safety of procedures like amniocentesis and episiotomy, etc.)
dadasarah

Post by dadasarah »

Thanks CurlyGirl!
Is your fiancé the one who asked you out on a date while you were eating Wai food?
No, Chin-Chin. :) That was Mr. Random Guy at work. I was already engaged to my honey, so I said no! But I still enjoyed it. :twisted:
"Dada is the sun. Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police." - Richard Huelsenbeck
dadasarah

Post by dadasarah »

Well, I don't know where else to post an update. This is for myself mostly, anyway. I mentioned that I'd gone off the diet because of nausea, cravings/aversions, and the struggle to consume enough calories at work. Well, now I think it's more than that. I started this diet because it made the most sense and it actually worked. That is, it made me feel much healthier. During the past month, the Wai diet was not making me feel well. Cooked food did. Not just any cooked food; it had to be vegetables (lots of brocolli!), beans, grains - well-cooked - and a small amount of dairy. Nothing fried. After and between meals, I craved small amounts of fruit. Every other day or so, I'd want a couple egg yolks. This is what my body was, and is still, wanting. There was a short amount of time earlier this week when I felt more normal and wanted mostly raw. Then, the other feeling came back. I feel like I'm a completely different person. I know I'll go back to the Wai diet when my body wants it again, but until then, I'm just going with the flow.

I really wanted to be a good experiement here, but I guess I can't, as of now. Sorry, folks.
"Dada is the sun. Dada is the egg. Dada is the Police of the Police." - Richard Huelsenbeck
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Basically I think it's good that you go with the flow and eat what you're craving, but I was thinking that maybe to stay on the Wai diet while you're pregnant you have to eat more fruits and more often and for sure more egg yolks than you can imagine (or manage at work!). So maybe you're craving these things because you're not eating enough of the fruits/oil/eggs/fish stuff...
I'm not pregnant but going from 4 egg yolks a day to 8 really helped forget/get rid of cravings.
Also another question, were you at any point (and for how long) on the strict 100% wai diet before getting pregnant?
A question perhaps for RRM: I'm wondering whether one has a better chance of 'craving' wai (ie all the right things) while pregnant if one has already been established on the 100% for some time?
In other words I wonder if these cravings for cooked foods are real (what the body needs? I doubt it.) or still addictions that come back because of the hormonal havoc raised by the pregnancy...?
avalon

Post by avalon »

I really wanted to be a good experiement here, but I guess I can't, as of now. Sorry, folks.
Sorry for what? Any experiment you undertake that leads to some conclusion, which you listen to, flow with, is a good learning experiment.

Before Wai I had never considered raw egg yolks as a nutritional staple in my diet- as only one example. Whether I expand on WaiDiet (because I'm always learning) or move on to some other food adventure- I am changed by the knowledge I've gained from Wai and the inspiration from which that keeps me learning.

Best wishes,
Avalon :)
dadasarah

Post by dadasarah »

Also another question, were you at any point (and for how long) on the strict 100% wai diet before getting pregnant?
This could very well be a factor, since I was only 100% for a couple of weeks before conception (I think). I started adding munch foods back in after a month or so.

I've been trying to add more egg yolks, but eating more than 2-4 a day (depends on the day) makes me queasy and not want any the next day or two. I've also been having trouble liking avocados, which used to be a huge staple for me. I can stand fish about once a week.
I was thinking that maybe to stay on the Wai diet while you're pregnant you have to eat more fruits and more often and for sure more egg yolks than you can imagine (or manage at work!).
Maybe I'm just not eating enough. I tried the juice again, but my body rejected it. In general, here's what happens: after eating a raw meal, I get a stomach ache/heartburn, and I feel more queasy and irritated. If I eat some cooked and raw together, I feel much better. Before pregnancy hormones kicked in, I would get depressed, gain weight, and have puffy, blotchy skin from eating cooked food all day. This is what I wanted to avoid. Now my skin is nice and I feel happy and energized as long as I eat 5-6 meals a day of about 75/25 cooked/raw. I KNOW I'll be back to Wai. Maybe in the second trimester when things stabilize. We'll see.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Corinne wrote:I wonder if these cravings for cooked foods are real (what the body needs? I doubt it.) or still addictions that come back because of the hormonal havoc raised by the pregnancy...?
Addictions indeed, as there are no nutrients in cooked foods that are not there in raw foods. And, yes, the hormones have great effects on cravings, as you may experience every month.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Yes indeed!
Thanks for the confirmation!
dadasarah

Post by dadasarah »

Yay! I'm back! I'm at four months (no more nausea!) and back to feeling crappy on cooked foods, and not so on raw. And back to "craving" mostly raw foods. I don't like to call it that anymore, because it's a different feeling than cravings for addictive food. It's a "hunger" for something healthy and good for me (me specifically, at this specific point in time).

I still don't like avocados, but I'm trying to deal by mixing them with other things and eating more brazil nuts and salads drenched in olive oil. And I wasn't eating egg yolks at all for a while, but I'm easing them back in. Also, I need an even larger fat to sugar ratio than before. I'm so glad I still like olive oil (I can't stand coconut oil anymore).

I probably won't be on the forum a whole lot, but I hope everyone's doing well!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Welcome back! :)
avo

Post by avo »

I hear you about the avocados, and it seems you are not the only one, according to searches. Hass avocados are no longer able to be eaten by me, just too damn dense/fatty. Florida avocados, the big green-skinned ones, however, are a different story. I usually have 1/2 to 2/3 of a big Florida avocado, with a big spoonful of my favorite raw honey, all gently massaged together in a bowl, so each chunk is coated. Awesome! And because of the less dense, slightly more watery avocados, no problems with digestion at all. I don't recommend the Slimcados, neither the small light green ones nor the green ones that turn red when ripe, they usually have bad stringy flesh, and bitter aftertaste. What I'm taking about are these:

Not sure of the variety, but they look similar. The ones I get are so deliciously creamy and perfect texture and flavor. Not to mention organic and locally grown. 2 bucks a piece. 2 avocados last me about 3-4 meals, one-half avocado or so a day.
Yardy

Post by Yardy »

What is it with Conversations with God? As I see them they only state the obvious...
The book that has inspired me the most is The Cloud of Unknowing. It's written in the 14.th. century by an anonymous monk.
It makes you think and fingure out all your answers yourself.
That book is rereadable again and again, and you continue to get a deeper understaning of yourself.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I guess it depends on what you consider to be obvious. I think most of the people on this earth wouldn't agree. ;)
Yardy

Post by Yardy »

I haven't thought about it that way. I see my self as a fairly ordinary person and therefore thought others found it obvious. :)
And I know a bunch of danes who do feel the way I do about the books. Maybe it comes down to culture?! There are great differences between USA and Europe in many ways.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

There sure is a cultural difference, but I'm a european too. :)

How many of the books have you read?