Articles on oxidized (bad) cholesterol

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
dime
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Articles on oxidized (bad) cholesterol

Post by dime »

Yeah I thought that's a huge issue with this study, it doesn't make sense to simply conclude something for the general population based on investigation in sick people.
But it's quite confusing without reading the actual paper, as the sciencedaily article mentioned diseases, and cell cultures, etc.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Meta-analysis of studies including > 90,000 subjects show that statins reduce all-cause mortality by 12% and coronary heart disease mortality by 19%. Preiss D et al
"The marked reduction of plasma oxysterols reported for statin-based therapy is interesting" Sottero B et al

"there is considerable evidence that oxysterols may be involved in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis" Hwang PL
"The authors find that oxysterols deserve much more attention than cholesterol itself in terms of research activity but that unfortunately the reverse is true with regard to funding" Guardiola F et al
RRM
Administrator

HDL and oxysterols

Post by RRM »

Oxysterols are toxic to endothelial cells Luthra S et al and macrophages.
Macrophages cannot limit the uptake of lipids.
The uptake of oxidized LDL by macrophages is a key initial event in atherogenesis.
(oxy)cholesterol efflux from macrophages is attributed to HDL (facilitated by apolipoprotein E and inhibited by some oxysterols von Eckardstein A).
HDL protects macrophages from apoptosis induced by loading with free cholesterol or oxidized LDL. Terasaka N et al Full Free Text
ABCA-1 and ABCG-1 proteins mediate the efflux of oxysterols (and cholesterol) from macrophages Xu M et al
(for transportation to the liver), which in turn is mediated by HDL.
The effect of ABCA-1 and ABCG-1 proteins is inhibited by AGEs and ALEs (Maillard reaction products), thus inhibiting the protective effect of HDL.Iborra RT et al Free Full Text
Oxidized LDL also inhibits the protective effect of HDL, by inhibiting PON-1 (human serum paraoxonase, which is associated to HDL)
PON-1 can eliminate oxidized LDL (by hydrolysis of oxLDL-lipid peroxides) Aviram M,
similar to PAF acetylhydrolase (which is also associated to HDL). Hajjar DP et al Full Free Text
HDL inhibits LDL oxidation, as about 45% of the total plasma oxysterols (plus 35-40% of the total plasma lipoxidation products) is associated with HDL transporters, accounting for the protective effect of HDL. Hahn M et al
Emeira

Oxidized cholesterol

Post by Emeira »

link to article: It was concluded that oxidised cholesterol is much more hypercholesterolaemic and atherogenic than cholesterol in hamsters

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/di ... jotab_tab1
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17916278
dime

Post by dime »

How much more?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

You need the full article to get to know.
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

Pomegranate extract reduced aortic sinus and coronary artery atherosclerosis in SR-BI/apoE dKO mice
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23528829

Pomegranate juice significantly reduced atherosclerotic lesion areas in immune-deficient mice and intima media thickness in cardiac patients on medications. It also decreased lipid peroxidation in patients with type 2 diabetes, and systolic blood pressure and serum angiotensin converting enzyme activity in hypertensive patients.
http://www.encognitive.com/files/Pomegr ... 0juice.pdf

Pomegranate juice consumption for 3 years by patients with carotid artery stenosis reduces common carotid intima-media thickness, blood pressure and LDL oxidation
http://www.rarefruit.org/PDF_files/Pomegranate.pdf
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Many compounds may reduce lipidperoxidation due to their antioxidant properties.
Despite their anti-oxidant properties, many such compounds are not good for us anyway,
because they also influence other processes in our body.
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

i don't know much about science, just searching info how to clear 'clogged arteries' naturally. This is for my boyfriends dad, he takes so many drugs (for blood thinning, blood pressure lowering, statins) because of heart attack in the past. He doesn't believe in natural treatment or natural diet effect to general health, but i still i want to give him some info, maybe he could change his mind.
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

just searching info how to clear 'clogged arteries' naturally
any tips?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Emeira wrote:He doesn't believe in natural treatment or natural diet effect to general health
If even in this condition he is not open minded, i doubt that your efforts may have any effect.
Some people just want it the easy way, with drugs.
I always try to save my energy for people who are open minded.
any tips?
Autophagy.
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Emeira wrote:i don't know much about science, just searching info how to clear 'clogged arteries' naturally.

Step 1: Try an example: Prepare a Cloggable Steak.

I got one friend with no science background, to change and reduce his cooked meat intake, with this example:
Would you eat a shoe, charred toast, bitter foods? a charred steak?
or a cooked steak cooled for 3 hours at room temperature with solidifying grease?
What happens if you washed this solid grease down the sink, will it clog the pipes?
Emeira wrote:He doesn't believe in natural treatment or natural diet effect to general health,

Step 2: Wait for opportunities to promote your view, pounce when you see he is ready.

I have a friend that takes health supplements derived from seeds.
Despite the fact that I tell him supplements are bad especially derivatives from seeds*, for a while (months), it does not register in his brain.
I find it funny that, he eats most stuff peeled and without seeds, but it is not obvious to him that he should apply the same thoughts to supplements.
Maybe he was thinking how "natural" and how great those "polyphenols" are that were derived from seeds.

But, last week, he was reading the news, he read that apple seeds contains a toxin.
"Toxin" reads in his brain as "toxic"; also the source was the 'news' and not 'me'.
Then he asked me if that was true.

I said:
"Apple seeds may have cyanide, and other toxins or anti-nutrients.
Many seeds contains toxins and anti-nutrients;
your supplements are made out of seeds."

He got my point. He replied:
"I will try not to take 'that' supplement** after I finish that bottle."

*{ppl think seeds are natural because it comes from "nature",
and ppl feel like they are right, because they are buying something with a green or labelled "natural",
an oopsies on their part, but they are excused because they read/know/think so little about science;
seeds contain many antinutrients, many seeds contains oxalates,
it is well known that oxalates may accumulate as kidney stones.}
Emeira wrote:but i still i want to give him some info, maybe he could change his mind.
** Shakes the supplement bottle, it is half empty, I still have to wait for him to change...; At least I know I have partially won the mind battle.

I think I know how you feel, about changing your boyfriend's father's view.
Keep going, don't lose hope, you can only change so much, the other side has to give in too, before you can move another step, sometimes you have to just wait for the opportunity.
Emeira wrote:This is for my boyfriends dad, he takes so many drugs (for blood thinning, blood pressure lowering, statins) because of heart attack in the past.

Sometimes it is not their choice, sometimes it is recommended to them these prescriptions out of desperation because of a sudden event, and once they are on they have no choice but to continue, until they find a means to safely reduce these drugs.
If you are looking for natural ways to replace prescription drugs of blood thinning, blood pressure lowering drugs or statins, in the sea of knowledge out there, there are things that tinker with these numbers, but beware of drug interactions, something labelled "natural" does not mean that they do not interact with the current drugs consumed.

But eating less bad foods is probably the correct choice.
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Why is HDL associated with better vascular health? (associated with longevity Barzilai N et al)
Clogged arteries are not just about (oxi)cholesterol, but about a plaque of various molecules.

HDL does not just promote cholesterol efflux from macrophage foam cells. (which is impaired by oxidation Full Free Text)
It does not just transport cholesterol.
It also transports many proteins and peptides (at least 48), and 22 of these are known to influence the antiinflammatory and antiatherogenic properties of HDL.
Full Free Text
Levels of inflammatory protein in HDL predicts the risk of heart disease in humans.Full Free Text
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

Does blended yolks (for 30s-1min) are just as bad and unhealthy as heated/cooked yolks? I always blend 5 yolks with frozen banana + frozen strawberries, taste is amazing like creamy ice cream!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I honestly do not know how extensive the damage is; there are no studies about this.