Fiber and Evolution

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
Thomas
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Fiber and Evolution

Post by Thomas »

There is one thing that I have struggled with in regards to this diet...

Being that wild fruit has, in general, less sugar than modern cultivars, we would have needed more of it in order to obtain the same amount of energy.
Now, we all know that following Wai's diet precisely is virtually impossible without juices due to the bloating effect of fiber.

In addition, in nature (as Wai herself has even referred to), fat is a luxury item.

That leaves our hominid ancestors with only two real sources of energy (apart from the occasional finding of fat in the form of brains/marrow): protein and sugars.

Now, the human gut is at least 40% smaller than that of chimpanzees (see: our sixpack abs) due to our evolution away from constant consumption of fibrous fruits.

This implies that we would have evolved with much more lean protein (wild animals are naturally lean), a moderate amount of sugars, and a moderate-low amount of fat.

Lean protein keeps the stomach flat, low-sugar/high fiber fruit does not.
However, one cannot consume more than 35% of calories from protein without health problems.

Therefore, we either walked around with a mildly bloated stomach all the time, consumed only very large meals once per day (comb. of fruit.protein), or I am missing something?!

Agree/Disagree?

Wai/RRm have any thoughts?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Evolution and Fiber

Post by RRM »

Thomas wrote:
Now, the human gut is at least 40% smaller than that of chimpanzees (see: our sixpack abs) due to our evolution away from constant consumption of fibrous fruits.

This implies that we would have evolved with much more lean protein (wild animals are naturally lean), a moderate amount of sugars, and a moderate-low amount of fat.
No, it implies less fiber.
Less than that what chimps eat (which includes leaves)
So, a fruit diet will do too.

Lean protein keeps the stomach flat,
Fat too.
Therefore, we either walked around with a mildly bloated stomach all the time, consumed only very large meals once per day (comb. of fruit.protein), or I am missing something?!
I believe we must have been roaming around searching for and eating fruits (and berries and nuts) constantly, with occasionally some animal food. Indeed with a mildly bloated stomach all the time, just as virtually all mammals (except for carnivores) still do.

Since we are vain, we simply replace the fiber with sugar and oil, for a flat stomach.
art

Post by art »

how fiber do you think we actually need?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Fiber is not a nutrient. We dont need it. You could perfectly live on liquids containing all nutrients and little fiber.
Maleko

Post by Maleko »

On a high fiber diet, it seems that there was alot more energy and bloodflow directed to my abdominal region. My mind was always pulled to that region, because my body was always paying so much attention to it. It really never felt natural. I feel so much lighter, and freer now.
Mark

Post by Mark »

i'm sorry i cannot agree. water is also not a nutrient - but that doesn't mean our bodies don't need it. sunlight is also not a nutrient - and that doesn't mean our skin don't need it to convert into vitamin d
By their fruits shall ye know them.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

he, he, you blasphemist... :mrgreen:
i'm sorry i cannot agree. water is also not a nutrient - but that doesn't mean our bodies don't need it. sunlight is also not a nutrient - and that doesn't mean our skin don't need it to convert into vitamin d."[/i]
Well, regarding water we know where its for; all our cells need it; they die without it.
And regarding the sun, we know we need it for vitamin D.
But what about fiber?
Our intestines can perfectly function without it. So, what would we need fiber for exactly?
Short chain fatty acids?
Not essential.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Suppose you would need fiber for your bowels to function, then you could consume all the sodas, cream, cheese and steaks in the world without getting fat (because you wouldnt ingest the fiber required to absorb the nutrients, which includes energy)

So, what do we need fiber for?
Fiber is also not required to keep your bowels active and prevent constipation, because if you would only drink sodas and oil, there is no way you could ever be constipated...
So, then the question is what exactly causes constipation?
What foods do?
and exactly what ingredients in those foods do?
Frieda

No fiber?

Post by Frieda »

What is fiber actually neccessary for? Do you need it at all to be healthy? If find raw fruits bloat me up (I must be extra sensitive due to many past eating disorder abuses of my body). Even one banana can make me look pregnant! And juice makes me bloat too and pee all day :roll: But, when I eat only raw fat and glucose I feel wonderful. I am just worried that after a while, I will be missing out on nutrients from fruits and/or missing what ever fiber does for the body. Any suggestions? Currently I eat a ton of raw yolks with sugar (honey or real sugar). This makes me happy and energetic and not crave anything else for long periods of time.
Frieda

Post by Frieda »

I should add, the yolks are godsend!
nick

Post by nick »

A little fiber isn't bad, but on this diet it seems your body is very sensitive. I would recommend juicing your fruits daily so that you just drink them. Orange Juice is the simplest and you can do apples too. In the juice there is less fiber, making it easier for your bowels. The yolks are great for your bowels too and your brain and for everything else too!
Brian
Administrator

Post by Brian »

Do you strain the pulp out of your juice?
Frieda

Post by Frieda »

I hand juice and I strain the pulp as best possible. Sometimes I do use store bought juice, but very rarely. Either way, I tend to feel anxious after drinking any kind of juice and definitely both kinds make me feel bloat.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

The pulp is a source of redundant fibre in the juice, that can make you bloat.
Shop-bought juice is pasteurised, by the way. Perhaps that makes you more likely to bloat? But you say you get bloated on fresh juice too? Are you sure the juice is absolutely fresh, no fermentation, stored in the refridgerator?
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

I forgot to mention, you will get anxious drinking juice 'straight' because it is so high in natural sugars, and the anxiety you feel is the result of a spiked blood-sugar level. Do you consume the correct ratio of olive oil to juice? You need the fat in olive oil to stabilise your blood sugar; also, olive oil is wonderfully soothing to your tummy and may help against the bloating.