Protein Quality

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Protein Quality

Post by RRM »

dime wrote:Probably your calculator is javascript or php code?
I dont know what the name of the language is, but its extremely basic stuff.
Im 100% sure that you can handle it.
Just download it, and you will see.
http://www.waiworld.com/waidiet/nut-calculator.html
dime

Post by dime »

Yeah it's javascript. I'll check it when I have some more free time.
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

I wonder:

If you want to benefit from food combining to get high quality protein (like for instance egg yolk and banana)
do you have to eat them at the same time, or is it enough that you have been eating your bananas in they day and then you can take the yolk and the different proteins will find eachother and complement somewhere in the body? Or do you have to eat it all at the same time to be able to benefit from the complementarity? :?

I think I heard some research that had found that you don't have to eat the different foods at the same time (just within the same day) for the proteins to combine, but I'm not sure if this info is valid (don't even remember where I got it anymore.. was years ago I heard it, and it was as I remember an argument for why vegetarianism and veganism(?) would give you full protein value..
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

abicahsoul wrote: If you want to benefit from food combining to get high quality protein
Actually, given the new data for amino acid requirements,
it appears that amino acid distribution is more evenly spread than previously though.
According to the old data, it was always the methionine/cysteine combi that was always most scarce,
severely limiting all over protein quality.
According to the new data, several amino acids may be most scarce, depending on what you eat,
with a higher mean protein quality.
So, given the new data, food combining does not make that much difference anymore.
do you have to eat them at the same time
No, the body stores amino acids in the blood.
In this pool, the levels of amino acids may fluctuate anywhere between 100% to up to 900%.
(re)construction is mostly done at night, when you are sleeping, utilizing the amino acids available at that time.
So, you just have to ingest what you need during the (one) whole day and night.
zackcentury

Post by zackcentury »

I mostly intend to read the entire 284 page report :D but does anyone have any thoughts about why the requirements would have changed? Page 111 mentions the need for Lysine and its unavailability after Maillard rxn. But didn't we know this about processed food already?

Are brazil nuts not quite as important anymore? Ordering, cracking, and consuming brazil nuts might be my least favorite part hehe.

Luckily, it seems all Wai foods are still very good, and the overall concepts about protein contents of fruit and raw egg/fish remain the same.
bananarama
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

zackcentury wrote:...does anyone have any thoughts about why the requirements would have changed?
Mostly its about 'more accurate' measuring/calculation methods.
Page 111 mentions the need for Lysine and its unavailability after Maillard rxn. But didn't we know this about processed food already?
(As numbered in the doc, its actually page 97)
Yes, quite right!
More so, the lysine numbers are heavily drawn from studies with wheat-based diets.
Are brazil nuts not quite as important anymore? Ordering, cracking, and consuming brazil nuts might be my least favorite part hehe.
Well, in the Wai diet, methionine/cysteine may still be the limiting factor, making Brazil nuts most valuable...
Luckily, it seems all Wai foods are still very good, and the overall concepts about protein contents of fruit and raw egg/fish remain the same.
I agree.
sei

protein

Post by sei »

hi I am new to here.
I am not good at english. so I am having a hard time reading all this posts.
according to this page,( http://www.waiworld.com/waidiet/nut-fruitprotein.html)
wai says, brazil nut and egg yolk is best.
I am a vegan. and It's hard to get brazil nut in this region. and expensive.
so I have to eat egg yolk. and I want to explain my self why I should eat egg.
then I keep read and read this page(up above), but I can't understand it. Oh, am I stupid? :?
In natural raw foods, again methionine and cystine are most scarce.
oh, but those tables, they are all 100. I think "tryptop" is always scarce according those table.
The strength of a chain is determined by its weakest link.
yes. I understand this sentence.
but, at those table, egg yolk has 74 of tryptop. (weakest link. I think)
and Emmentaler cheese has 90 of tryptop. (also weakest link.) oh! then, maybe cheese is better than egg yolk?

am I misunderstood? hmm. somebody teach me. please.
dime

Re: protein

Post by dime »

I think that page is a bit outdated (on the methionine/cystine information).
Nuts are not very essential.. I myself avoid them, only have some hazelnuts from my own tree I need to finish.
Egg yolks alone are fine, but you should make sure you eat enough, so that you get enough protein per day.

But if you're vegan, aren't you supposed to avoid all animal products including egg yolks? Or you meant vegetarian?
RRM
Administrator

Re: protein

Post by RRM »

sei wrote:...at those table, egg yolk has 74 of tryptop. (weakest link. I think)
and Emmentaler cheese has 90 of tryptop. (also weakest link.) oh! then, maybe cheese is better than egg yolk?
Its outdated (WHO 1985) info, indeed.
But, to clear things up:
Those numbers (74 for tryptophan in egg yolk) are compared to the need for amino acids,
and in these tables the need for trytophan is very low (for adults 27 or 23 or 56 or 24; depending on the method used).
In comparison, the presence of methionine / cysteine is 100, and relative to a need of 100,
this means that tryptophan is more abundantly available.
Maleko

Post by Maleko »

Hey there guys. I know you updated the protein quality info....and mentioned on the website that the fruit protein article was outdated. What effect (if any) might this have on the SPF(serotonin production factor) data? Do you see any flaws in that data now in light of the updated protein quality data?

Are there any key changes you would make to the article on "Sleeplessness and Depression"? It's a great article and there is very little knowledge in the world about food and sleep and I would love to see what changes you might make to that article in light of newer insights and experiences.

Aloha, Maleko
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Maleko wrote:...updated the protein quality info......fruit protein article was outdated... What effect (if any) might this have on the SPF(serotonin production factor) data?
...any flaws ...
No effect, because the SPF is about the intake of serotonin relative to the intake of leucine and phenylalanine,
and not relative to the need for seronin (or any other amino acid)
Are there any key changes you would make to the article on "Sleeplessness and Depression"? It's a great article and there is very little knowledge in the world about food and sleep and I would love to see what changes you might make to that article in light of newer insights and experiences.
Ive read it once again, and couldnt find anything that i would want to change, right now.
Aloha

[edit]The discussion about omega 3 and sleep has been moved[/edit]