Vitamin B12 deficiency

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
dime
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Vitamin B12 deficiency

Post by dime »

Plus the body is pretty good at minimizing use of resources when they are scarce.
Maybe it doesn't mean that vegetarians need less B12 because they don't eat meat, but simply because they are more efficient at utilizing B12 since they get much less from diet.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

After a routine blood test the other day I got a call from my doctors secretary (:() saying that the doctor found me deficient in B12 and that I should take B12 supplements because
my B12 is at 1,92 and the normal range is 1,87 to 10, 59... My first thought was, nothing wrong there, I'm in the range!
Just on the low end. I will ask for the actual paper this week so I can see the units/measurement.

RRM said: Its not that a higher level is better.
There are loads of reasons why your body prefers to maintain this level (interactions with other nutrients)

and RRM again: Supplements FORCE the level up, even if the body prefers not to.
Eating more fish might be more effective and healthy...

However Doc advised I take 1000mcg of B12 per day.

So before just following instructions my question is how do I find out if the low level is OK for me given the interactions with other nutrients and is there something else (like Methylmalonic acid and homosysteines levels) I should have tested? Are those done in a blood test too?
I am a bit concerned because I am fatigued and if I say anything about memory, Oscar will make a joke that I didn't have much to begin with... ;) But sometimes I feel I have so much to think about that my head can't remember everything... The main concern is the fatigue and feeling lethargic (like not in the mood to, but not really depressed) now and then.
"You cannot do something you don't know IF you keep on doing what you know"
F.M. Alexander
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

So, did you find the unit in that paper?
Eating enough fish / yolks should do the trick.
If not, there may be something else going on (interaction with other nutrients indeed, for example)
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Numbers are for Vit B12:

192 pg/mL and the "normal" range is 187 to 1059
SO I am actually within the "normal" range, just on the low side. I don't think there is anything to be concerned about here. Right?
"You cannot do something you don't know IF you keep on doing what you know"
F.M. Alexander
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I'd think it'll be fine, especially if you're going to eat some more fish/eggs.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

And then have your levels checked again in half a year.

To what extend low B12 levels actually may have adverse effects highly depends on other factors, such as folic acid (vitamin B9) levels.
Often, 350 pg/ml of vitamin B12 is considered a "low level'.
Even at 500–600 pg/ml, B12 deficiency symptoms may occur, and by some 500 pg/ml is considered the minimum level. Mitsuyama Y et al
On the other hand, levels below 200 pg/ml rarely come with B12 deficiency symptoms. Dong A et al
Particularly elderly are at risk (poor B12 absorption due to 'atrophic gastritis').
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Only bacteria (including salmonella) and algae can make B12, but animals such as humans can convert one form of B12 into another.
I'm not quite sure, but I think that bacteria and algae can only make cyanocobalamin, whereas meat gives us methylcobalamin (which is more bioavailable), and cyanocobalamin has cyanide as a byproduct. (Interesting fact, vegetarian animals get B12 from eating their own poo).

Is there a way of know whether you absorb B12 well or not? I guess only a blood test?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I did not suggest to eat bacteria or algae.
It is just that these organisms are at the base of the vitamin B12 chain.
Bacteria may produce cyanocobalamin (and other types of B12, such as hydroxocobalamin).
These bacteria are consumed by larger organisms that convert these original types of B12 into methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin.
Thus the latter 2 types of B12 go up the food chain.
By consuming animal food, humans absorb the latter types of B12.
vegetarian animals get B12 from eating their own poo
Strictly speaking, vegetarian animals are never 100% strictly vegetarian.
They always ingest bacteria, and in case of the bigger animals, they will ingest insects, worms etc with the plant foods that they eat.
In nature, there are no leaves or grasses that have no small animals on them.
In nature, dietary B12 is unavoidable.
Is there a way of know whether you absorb B12 well or not? I guess only a blood test?
Yes, you need a blood test.