longest living cultures + optimal diet discussion

moved from 1 up by mods, once they've proved to contain interesting discussions
Oscar
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Oscar »

I think fats are the key element in a diet. Since glucose is so important for the body, it can readily convert protein if needed. And since the cold and heavy clothing will prevent strenuous high-carb exercise, not that much protein will be needed. The fats can be used without restriction, because there is an abundance in the diet.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Really Interesting!
...Of the three macronutrients, protein, fat and carbohydrate, it is only carbohydrate that is nonessential to the human diet. Humans can exist for extraordinarily long periods of time without carbohydrate consumption as long as essential protein and fat needs are met. It is thus perplexing why nutritional dogma ascribes so many risks to the restriction of this non-essential nutrient.
http://www.mercola.com/article/carbohyd ... grains.htm

Makes you wonder :roll:
avalon

Post by avalon »

Here's the conclusion of the article:
Conclusion

A critical reading of the current literature certainly supports the dietary trends of decreased carbohydrate intake (especially of neocarbs), increased protein intake, and increased fat intake (especially of monounsaturates and N-3 polyunsaturates). The data that supports these contentions comes from a wide spectrum of disciplines, including the basic sciences, medical science, epidemiology, and anthropology.

The one dietary program that addresses these principles in full, is the so called "evolutionary diet." The modern inception of this prehistoric lifestyle would favor the consumption of lean meats (preferably wild game or non-grain fed, free-range domesticated animals), fish, seafood, vegetables, fruits, raw nuts, and seed. Notably absent from this dietary genre are dairy products, cereal grains, beans, legumes and concentrated sweets (except for perhaps the occasional foray into raw honey!).

Adherence to these dietary guidelines will not only address obesity, but may also prove helpful in the management of everything from NIDDM to diseases of autoimmunity to cardiovascular illnesses. The guidelines are broad, but can be made quite specific depending on the goals, lean body mass, activity level, and overall health of the patient....
It's this kind of information that could get me to stop eating raw cheese :shock:
nick

Post by nick »

huntress wrote:
lets not forget all the outcomes and other variables.
for instance?
Lifestyle, family surroundings, STRESS!
National Geographic did a survey of peoples who live past 100 and these attributes were strong in their life.
Some diet aspects too were included, but I think the Hunza's steamed steamed their veggies.
Diet is important but I wonder how it does compared to these other factors that these centarians had.
nick

Post by nick »

All good points avalon.
Take a look at your nutrient calculator.
Mine says this:

RDA: FDA Men, 19-24YR, 72kg, 160lb, 177cm, 70in

Selection:
[Item-1] 1units of Avocados (Persea americana), California, [1],
[Item-2] 3units, medium of Banana (Musa sapientum), [2],
[Item-3] 60g (grams) of Chicken Egg yolk (Gallus domesticus), raw,
[Item-4] 150g (grams) of Olive oil (Olea europea), [1],
[Item-5] 7cups of Orange juice (Citrus sinensis),
[Item-6] 1units of Tomatoes (Lycopersicon esculentum), red, ripe,

Weight:......................................2545.0000g
Constituents...................................Quantity.........RDA
Water........................................2027.65860g ..............?g
Energy.......................................2705.94060kcal .....2900.00kcal

Protein quality...................................23.04%
Protein........................................29.99230g ..........58.00g
-Methionine.....................................0.43743g .......13mg/kg
-Cysteine.......................................0.33045g .......13mg/kg
Total lipid (Fat).............................203.54420g ..............?g
Carbohydrate..................................258.89639g ..............?g
Fiber, total dietary...........................18.63210g ..............?g
-Fibre, wat. sol................................2.14920g ..............?g
-Fibre, wat. ins................................4.53389g ..............?g

Even taking into account the addition of sugar added, I still get about half or a maybe over even a third of my diet from fat. So perhaps with some tweaking you can get more if you want.

Plus, don't forget to realize that sugar has a positive influence on amino acid uptake and serotonine production.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

avalon wrote:Really Interesting!
...Of the three macronutrients, protein, fat and carbohydrate, it is only carbohydrate that is nonessential to the human diet. Humans can exist for extraordinarily long periods of time without carbohydrate consumption as long as essential protein and fat needs are met. It is thus perplexing why nutritional dogma ascribes so many risks to the restriction of this non-essential nutrient.
http://www.mercola.com/article/carbohyd ... grains.htm

Makes you wonder :roll:
Yes, but the important question here is: why? Because it is SO important we can convert anything into glucose. :roll:
avalon

Post by avalon »

Oscar:
Because it is SO important we can convert anything into glucose.
Huh? :roll: Totally, Nice try. Let's see you make some glucose out of this paper plate, dude.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I thought we were having a serious discussion...my bad! :roll:
huntress

Post by huntress »

Huh? Totally, Nice try. Let's see you make some glucose out of this paper plate, dude.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!
nick

Post by nick »

To bring the conversation back around...

Oscar is correct that fat and protein can be converted to sugar-like molecules.
The question is what is optimal?

I was talking to a someone who said that he eats mostly animal food so he mainly eats lots of fat and protein. He said it is healthier because his sugar-level is always stable while carbs can have too much of an impact.
Even with combining the two he prefers the high fat diet.
He eats one or two big meals and lives off of that energy throughout the day.

Hmmmm......
huntress

Post by huntress »

Lifestyle, family surroundings, STRESS!

Are you implying that people fail a certain diet due to the facts stated above? I'm particularly interested in that you mentioned stress. Please elaborate on why you think stress can cause one to fail in a diet. Because to my understanding, stress is a result of poor chemical imbalance in a brain and depleted nutrients in the body. Therefore, if we do feed ourselves with foods that are high in nutritional quality, there is an unlikely possibility that we will get stressed out.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Oscar,
No, my Bad. :cry: Not feeling well today and took it out on you. :wink:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

avalon wrote:Oscar,
No, my Bad. :cry: Not feeling well today and took it out on you. :wink:
Okidoke, forgive and forget. :D
Hope you feel better tomorrow. :)
nick wrote:The question is what is optimal?
Personally I believe in giving the body exactly what it needs, and not what can harm it. I'm sure the latter part we can all agree on, though there might be differences of opinion about what is actually harmful and what isn't.

Regarding the former part, I don't think there is any doubt, that our body needs sugars, fats and (some) protein. The question remains: in what ratio?
Proteins cq amino acids are mostly used for repairs or as building blocks, and we have no way to store them in the body.
More than 40% of daily energy needed is fatty energy, and for some organs, for example the liver and the heart, fats provide more than half of the energy.
This leaves sugars to provide for the rest of the energy.
So: high-sugar, high-fat, low-protein.

This doesn't mean one cannot survive and be healthy on another diet. Only the body will have to work harder to get the things it needs, by converting one thing into another.

Another question is of course how you consume the different nutrients, for instance to keep the blood sugar level steady and not going up and down like a yoyo. Consuming small meals and combining (some or all of) those with fats (eg olive oil) takes care of that.

Individual differences play a role too. We all come from different backgrounds, and most if not all of us have been exposed to unhealthy diets for a long time. So some of us like one fruit more than another, need more yolks, less sugar, etc. Some people will be more sensitive to protein, some might not be able to eat specific foods, etc.

The bottom line is though, that in my view the basic needs will be the same for everyone.
avalon

Post by avalon »

So, do you suggest something like-

40-40-20
Carbohydrates, fat, protien?
avalon

Post by avalon »

Recommended reading-
http://www.beyondveg.com/cordain-l/macr ... s-1a.shtml
We are entering an era of dietary research where the details of underlying biochemical processes that govern lipid responses are being increasingly well-understood. Certain of these details validate the positive health effects that may accrue from the dietary pattern suggested by recently emerging studies of diet in human evolution. Hunter-gatherers who eat high levels of protein, lower levels of carbohydrate, and similar or even higher levels of fat (but with a much different lipid profile) compared to modern Western diets exhibit extremely positive blood lipid profiles and quite low rates of CHD. This presents a serious challenge for researchers, since this result would not be predicted by previous theories about fat in the diet.
Very informative. A two page article.

Goodnight all :wink: