weight loss and juicing

If you are not sure whether you are doing the diet right, create your own diet diary here, so others can take a look at it.
Emeira
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: weight loss and juicing

Post by Emeira »

Christoph wrote:high blood sugar. hence feeling tired, hence weight gain...
I am experiencing the same thing.
dime

Post by dime »

Fat is used up for a lot of functions in the body. Your muscles burn mostly fat at rest and activity of up to 60-70% of your max VO2.
Sugar is mostly used by the brain, which is estimated to be around 20% of the total calories you eat in a day.
So unless you're extremely active, it is not optimal to eat 80% of your calories as sugar.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I do agree that too much fat might have these effects. Fat contains more (stored) energy than sugar (1 gram yields approximately 9 kcal vs. 4 kcal), in comparison, so eating 'little' fat might still amount to (much) more than the 80/10/10 seems to promote. Concerning weight loss, one has to give the body the opportunity to use the body fat instead of dietary fat, while eating enough fat to prevent the body from going into starvation mode and hogging all the fat. Too big meals means all the excess energy will be converted into (glycogen and) body fat.
Christina

Post by Christina »

Dime,
Christoph's experience is of GREAT value.I am most interested in real experiences by different people with a range of challenges. When I tried to sip orange juice with olive oil a long time ago, I got rashes and all kinds of problems. Why am I back? Because I had one result I have not had without it. A regular cycle. But I would never repeat the same plan, I followed before. I need input from others who might have learned and can shorten my struggle. And it's no harm for anyone like me, to try it, in my mind. It'll take a week or so to know if it works better or worse. And he still follows most wai principals.
80/10/10 doesn't allow any animal foods, which he eats daily. And he seems to eat way smaller meals than they do.

Christoph, I hope you stick around for the exchange of ideas. And I hope you aren't drawn into an argument. Seems like you're not going to change because you've found what works for you.

I don't care who's plan I follow. I just want to get the results I'm looking for and feel good!!
Christina

Post by Christina »

I soaked 70 g of dates last night and drank the water+ ate the dates this am. I wanted to see if my blood sugar was ok without fat. And it wasn't. It went up to 193.
Then I ate a small avocado an hour later right after measuring the high blood sugar to see what happens. Avocado actually lowered my sugar levels in an experiment yesterday. And it did so this morning, too. Right after eating it, my sugar had gone down by 25
I definitely felt foggy and weird when my blood sugar was high :|
Maybe it was too many dates= way too much sugar and easily absorbed. I would've probably had a high reading with butter or oil, dates combo also. it's really not just fat that lowers my sugar level. but the avocado can.
I don't know why avocado can give me weird symptoms when i eat more than 60 or so g at a time. But when i eat the right amount and spread small meals throughout the day when i feel hungry, I have consistent blood sugar in the 90s and lower 100s. I feel best in the 90s. The 100 readings where after juice and oil, even when i only had 1/4 c. at a time.
Christoph have you experimented with dates?
Christina

Post by Christina »

my blood sugar went down to 120 from 193 within 25 min. of eating 60 g avocado and some raw butter! And I'm feeling more normal.
so it's not the fat that keeps my blood sugar high. AVOCADO I LOVE YOU :P
I just need to be VERY careful how much sugar I ingest.
The 3 bananas/oil/yolks/ honey mix i posted about the other day when my blood sugar was through the roof was just tooooo much sugar.
I have a much harder time with honey and dates. they are potent....
dime

Post by dime »

Was it dried dates? In that case that's probably too much sugar at once.
I doubt it was the avocado specifically that got your blood sugar down -- either the sugar was used up or converted to fat in the meantime. Unless you're diabetic, blood sugar won't stay up for long.
Christina

Post by Christina »

you could be right. but the avocado sure didn't keep my blood sugar from coming down.
it was dried dates from an excellent source. biodynamic, untreated, organic. it's easy for me to run into trouble with dates and honey. maybe it's best i avoid them...
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

but the avocado sure didn't keep my blood sugar from coming down
Because it contains very little carbs, and no, the fat does not hinder the sugar/insulin response.
Its just that in obese people the insulin response is often screwed, due to overeating.
Christina wrote:Avocado actually lowered my sugar levels in an experiment yesterday.
What was the level right before you ate it.
And what was the level right after you ate it?
How many minutes in between?
Christina wrote:I don't know why avocado can give me weird symptoms when i eat more than 60 or so g at a time.
Usually, when people eat avocado, they get full very soon,
often way before they finish just 1 avocado.
So, try to listen to your body; probably, you did get signals to stop eating before you actually did.
The 100 readings where after juice and oil, even when i only had 1/4 c. at a time.
That depends on how high your blood sugar was when you started drinking.
When your blood sugar was low, then there is no way you could get 100 readings after drinking 1/4 c.
So, instead of measuring your blood sugar AFTER drinking / eating,
you should measure it BEFORE drinking eating.
Maybe it might be best for you to only eat / drink something when your blood sugar level is about 90. (just an example)

Its not so much about WHAT you eat, but WHEN you eat it, in combination with HOW MUCH.
Emeira

Post by Emeira »

How you measure your blood sugar?
Christina

Post by Christina »

RRM, excellent suggestion! I will wait til my sugar is in the 90s and try sipping juice 1/4 c at a time and see what happens. that way i can get an idea how much is the quantity that maintains a good feeling = blood sugar in the 90s all day! And I learn to make a connection with my body's messages which will eventually free me of the measuring/training device. Ha, brilliant. I like that you are meeting me at my level of skill and not just telling me the final goal i'm striving for

Emeira, here the link to what i bought. i paid about $50 for the device and test strips. i need lots of test strips. probably will be another $50 per month, that i test a lot.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V9 ... 02_s00_i00
Christoph

Post by Christoph »

Hey Everyone, Christina, it actually takes a few day or more to clear fat from your bloodstream. As we all know , fat is metabolized slower, and if we keep eating oil at every meal, our blood will have the fat. Promise, give it a week and remove the oil...not the yolks or fish, and have the fish and or yolks at end of day. Right now, I cant believe the results im feeling. Im an RN and am constantly walking and interacting with people. I feel like im on drugs, seriously. I have so much energy its annoying Im sure. For breakfast I had 3 bananas at around 900am, after working for approx. 2 hours. Pure energy, then later I had another two bannas and two stalks celery, then checked my blood sugar when I checked my patients....90.
I wont lie, I had some coffee with sugar,,,still blood sugar 90. its 930 pm here in La Verne California, after a 12 hour shift and I feel amazing, not a egg yolk yet , but I will. But fact is , Im getting real fatty acids that are within the bananas, and apples,...so yes fat is essential, but in lower quanties than thought. In 10 bananas your gonna get like 2000 milligrams of fat.
Christoph

Post by Christoph »

Hey Christina, I just noticed your questions from before. I get up and drink water, and have been training my kids to get up, go to the bathroom, then drink some warm structured water. Then I leave for work and usually get a coffee...sorry , but I love the experience. BUt I dont put any fat or creamer, just sugar. And as Wai principles have taught me, even table sugar is energy. So thats what it does, its sugar for my body and energy. Then after a couple hours on the hospital floor, i will go to break room and peel and eat like 2-3 bananas then hit the floor again. Feeling great, and making moves. So basically after that, I just eat carbs whenever I get achance, juice, I love the exotic fruits, durian is my fave. I hardly ever eat oranges, but recently, I like the tiny organic apples. Fresh dates, tomatoes are an awesome hand fruit....but when not combined with an obvious fat,, it just fuels the body. Keep eating until you are satisfied....wai principles, raw food, you cant overeat....the key, dont eat oil. I love yolks, and I have been giving them to my son since he was a embryo. He is 5 now, and so robust and coordinated. I know the yolks have a play in that. I will post pics of us soon in the picture section. But I remember mixing OJ with Olive Oil 3 years ago while in nursing school, and it was a bad experience. I can elaborate later, but I will never forget it.
Christina

Post by Christina »

Christoph, I'm on it. I started your suggestions today and will go for a week. My blood sugar was fine doing that this morning. I just need to be careful with honey and dates. If it works like you say, then I'll be dealing better with those once my system has cleared left over oils out. I can't wait to hear your experience with oj+oo. Mine was awful. Oh I cannot even think about it, makes me cringe.
It's probably pointless to measure blood sugar right after eating since it's natural for it to go higher and then go back to under 140 within 1-2 hours?
Christina

Post by Christina »

Christoph, I did 3 days on your suggestions and needed to quit. Having no oil/avocado had me hungry all the time! It felt like i could never be satisfied. Once i resumed some avocado earlier in the day, I felt more grounded and nourished again. i didn't give it much time, but i needed to feel calmer/ balanced to handle my life well. Sad but true. I'm grateful for your well intended support!
I'm back to small meals with some fat but i'm very careful/modest with dates/honey. I don't pile on the fat and i'm not 100% either. :)