Kasper's thoughts

If you are not sure whether you are doing the diet right, create your own diet diary here, so others can take a look at it.
Kasper
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Kasper's thoughts

Post by Kasper »

Need some place to post random stuff, this seems to be a good place.
I'm just going to post here some thoughts I don't want to forget.

If you want to react on it, that's all fine, but keep in mind, that I'm just posting some intuitive ideas, and no valid reasoning.
Kasper

Re: Kasper's diary

Post by Kasper »

PDG2

For people who believe in buteyko.
I think lowering natural PDG2 is the reason why buteyko works.
PDG2 is associated width asthma.

http://synapse.koreamed.org/Synapse/Dat ... m-26-8.pdf
This study is REALLY interesting, if you want to understand PDG2.

Problem is, that ALL the studies I read, are trying to figure out a medicine that blocks PGD2 receptors, instead of suggesting natural things to lower it.
But there is much information out there, how natural stuff could lower PDG2, but it's just that those egoistic assholes can't profit from it (and are brainwashed).

PDG2 is associated width sleep and daytime sleepiness. So lower PDG2 could make you less sleepy? less sleep time?

PDG2 is associated width all chronic inflammation diseases. PDG2 is associated width ADHD. PDG2 is associated width allergies.
PDG2 is an indirect product of omega-6 fatty acids.

For some reason, I have the feeling that it all comes down to PDG2 in the end.

TH1/TH2
This balance seems to be absolutely crucial. PDG2 increases TH2 and lowers TH1.

IL-6
This is also a product of PGD2.
Choline seem to lower IL-6.
IL-6 seems to be the main part people need more sleep.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

If you want to sleep less, make sure you don't have ANY signs of inflammation.

Inflammation is the reason your CP drops, inflammation is the reason you need much sleep.
I have those fucking athlete foots, toenail fungus. If I make sure it's doesn't get inflamed (i can't fix those fungals for some reason), I need less sleep.
If it's inflamed like hell, I need like 11 hours of sleep.

For people width other inflammation issues, try to fix them !
If it's inflammation in your mouth, or in your ear, or in your stomach, or whatever, it will make you tired, sleep more, drop CP, etc. etc.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

I think high omega6/omega 3 ratio, will give you higher PDG2 (inflammation).
But, PDG2 is released mainly by the action of external triggers.
So, omega3/omega6 surely isn't the whole story... but surely a main part !
dime

Post by dime »

It's a vicious cycle, sleep and inflammation.
You have some inflammation in the body -> you don't sleep enough for some stupid reason and so it isn't fixed well enough -> inflammation accumulates -> which messes up your sleep further -> more inflammation...
Sleep should always be natural, no alarms and distractions. You go to sleep when you feel like, and get up when you wake up.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

I don't think so. My natural sleep can be like 12 hours sometimes.
But I know I feel better width less, even I feel I need it.

I think exessive sleep can also trigger inflammation (by overbreathing ?), as well as sleep deprivation can.
It's a vicious cycle, sleep and inflammation.
You have some inflammation in the body -> you don't sleep enough for some stupid reason and so it isn't fixed well enough -> inflammation accumulates -> which messes up your sleep further -> more inflammation...
The cure for inflammation isn't sleeping more. Believe me, I wouldn't have inflammation issues if sleeping would fix it.
Sleeping will only fix inflammation caused by sleep deprivation.

People width sleep deprivation get higher PDG2 during the day.
But people who sleep very much, and feel sleepy during the day also have much PDG2 during the day.
It's not about an vicious circle, it's about fixing your inflammation and enjoy feeling rested width sleeping less.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

btw, I use biokult probiotics.
After 2 weeks, much improvements width candida and ADD issues.
Keep you guys updated.

Btw, I have the feeling that there is connection width red eyes and white tongue.
I haven't ever seen red eyes occur when I had a pink tongue.
dime

Post by dime »

Kasper wrote:I don't think so. My natural sleep can be like 12 hours sometimes.
But I know I feel better width less, even I feel I need it.
Just because you feel better that day doesn't mean that it's also better for your health.
There's a million studies showing that sleeping less than you would naturally sleep (sleep deprivation) is bad for your health. But of course there's probably exceptions.

I was reading about sleep deprivation reduces cortisol secretion (link), and then about cortisol's effects on the immune system on wikipedia. I'll post here, probably you can make better sense out of it:
Cortisol can weaken the activity of the immune system. Cortisol prevents proliferation of T-cells by rendering the interleukin-2 producer T-cells unresponsive to interleukin-1 (IL-1), and unable to produce the T-cell growth factor.[44] Cortisol also has a negative-feedback effect on interleukin-1.[45] IL-1 must be especially useful in combating some diseases; however, endotoxic bacteria have gained an advantage by forcing the hypothalamus to increase cortisol levels (forcing the secretion of CRH hormone, thus antagonizing IL-1). The suppressor cells are not affected by glucosteroid response-modifying factor (GRMF),[46] so the effective setpoint for the immune cells may be even higher than the setpoint for physiological processes (reflecting leukocyte redistribution to lymph nodes, bone marrow, and skin). Rapid administration of corticosterone (the endogenous Type I and Type II receptor agonist) or RU28362 (a specific Type II receptor agonist) to adrenalectomized animals induced changes in leukocyte distribution. Natural killer cells are not affected by cortisol.[47]
Especially interesting how endotoxic bacteria (which includes candida I think) increase cortisol in order to lower down the immune system.

Edit: quite confusing, now I found a paper which says sleep deprivation increases cortisol next evening.. maybe I didn't read the first one properly.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

There's a million studies showing that sleeping less than you would naturally sleep (sleep deprivation) is bad for your health. But of course there's probably exceptions.
I'm quite sure there are not much studies done about sleeping less than you naturally sleep. Can you show me one ?
Also studies width people sleeping more than 10 hours naturally ?

I've seen quite a couple of studies, which all show sleeping around 7-8 hours is associated width best health.
Sleeping more than 9 hours is associated width heart problems if I remember correctly.
Sleeping less than 6 hours is also associated width problems.

The question remain if bad health causes sleeping more, or if sleeping more causes bad health.
And same question for sleep less.
dime

Post by dime »

There's quite a lot in the references section of "Sleep deprivation" on wikipedia.

It's counterintuitive that sleeping naturally without alarms could itself have bad effect on health.
If you need a lot of sleep (more than let's say the norm of 7-8 hours), then it's more likely that there's some underlying problem that requires you to sleep so much.

If you hyperventilate during sleep, I don't think sleeping less then you would is a good way to solve that problem.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

It's counterintuitive that sleeping naturally without alarms could itself have bad effect on health.
True, but it's also counterintuitive that breathing less than you naturally do is good for your health.
If you need a lot of sleep (more than let's say the norm of 7-8 hours), then it's more likely that there's some underlying problem that requires you to sleep so much.
I agree.
If you hyperventilate during sleep, I don't think sleeping less then you would is a good way to solve that problem.
Buteyko says it's especially about hyperventilating in the last couple of hours of sleep.
I don't think you should get in a sleep deprived state. But many people can adapt quite easily to 6/7 hours of sleep, just by doing it for some days.
When you are not able to do that, and feel sleep deprived, I think there is an (big) inflammation problem.

Besides resolving inflammation, an other option for people width sleep issues like me, could be sleeping 6/7 hours (or even less), and solve the sleep deprivation by taking multiple naps during the day.
I don't think that in general a person need more than around 4-6 hours of sleep.
But on the other hand, the body thinks you need, and therefore increases PDG2 levels, which will make you feel sleep deprived/tired etc.
Those high PDG2 levels the body creates are not only bad for you on an emotional level, it will worsen your immune system, trigger allergies/inflammation etc.

If multiple naps are able to counter the feeling of being sleep deprived/tired/sleepy etc, than sleeping 4-6 hours a day, won't do you any harm (and will help you maintain CP during the night).
Maybe counterintuitive, but this is what buteyko/artour are telling, and after reading so much about PDG2, I think this really makes sense on a biochemical way.
dime

Re: Kasper's thoughts

Post by dime »

From what I read (but need some more reading) cortisol gets highest around 8am in general and is essentially what wakes you up by shifting you to a catabolic state.
And cortisol rises in response to stress, which at the end of your sleep would most likely be dehydration, empty glycogen stores -> shift to muscle catabolism, etc.

Perhaps this is the reason for increasing ventilation in the last couple of hours? And why you feel better if you wake up say one hour earlier, you avoid cortisol spike.
In which case one solution might be to wake up a few hours earlier, drink some orange juice (water and energy), and go back to sleep?
Or even better maybe adapt to biphasic sleep, which is quite common in south European countries for example, where usually people take siestas in the afternoons and then you naturally sleep less during the night.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

I must say I'm not really specialized in cortisol.
I heard that people who can not produce cortisol have problems increasing CP.
Cortisol is able to counteract effects of histamine, and therefore I would say it could have positive effects on CP.
The 'iceman', Wim hof, is recently studied. The outcome was that his body is very good in handling toxins, by increasing his cortisol abnormally high.

On the other hand, the general dogma is: cortisol makes you feel stressed and is bad for you.
Maybe I should study cortisol a little better. Quite intersting subject.

Cortisol seem to be really good in decreasing inflammation...
Strange stuff.. Somebody more knowlegde about cortisol ?
dime

Post by dime »

Correction: cortisol doesn't make you feel stressed. You're stressed and then cortisol increases.
It is of course a very important hormone, just because it increases when you're stressed doesn't mean it's bad for you. You have to handle that stress..

But it means it's a pretty good indicator of stress in the body, and it's very interesting that it peaks every day around the time you wake up.
We should find some condensed material about cortisol, because there's millions of studies about it..

I'll do some experiments with sleep for a few days, wake up at 5am drink some orange juice + egg yolk and water and go back to sleep. Normally I wake up at 7-8am.

Just came across an article from Ray Peat btw, related to Buteyko: http://members.westnet.com.au/pkolb/peat5.htm and http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/co2.shtml
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

If not cortisol, than which biochemical process makes a person feel stressed ?
Cortisol still remains a complete mystery to me. I tried to figure it out better...

My intuition now says: Science (or at least how I learned it) is completely wrong about cortisol, and cortisol is not the problem, but the solution.
High cortisol means the body is under stress/inflammation. Because cortisol is the wonder that is able to repair the damage that is done by stress/inflammation.
They say cortisol weakens immune system, but I think it actually strengthen it. By counteracting the Th2 immune response that is mediated by inflammation/stress etc.
Maybe people get depleted of cortisol in periods of stress. And therefore weaken there immune system, and get sick afterwards.

In some sense, it is good to not have high cortisol levels, because it could mean you are exposed to much stress/inflammation.
On the other hand, much worse would be that you are exposed to much stress/inflammation, and you are not able to repair it with cortisol (by not producing enough cortisol).

Maybe, best option would be (like Wim Hof) to increase cortisol really much for a very short period of time.
Which very quickly and efficient removes toxins/repair tissues.

Edit:
Cortisol doesn´t raise heartbeat or blood pressure in the case of Wim Hof. It seems there is no fight/flight reaction.
I was just thinking a little bit, but maybe it's not stress, but FEAR, that cause the body not to handle the cortisol.
And make the body believe that it needs to fight/flight, which raises heartbeat etc.
Just came across an article from Ray Peat btw, related to Buteyko: http://members.westnet.com.au/pkolb/peat5.htm and http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/co2.shtml
Intersting guy! Need to read those articles once.
Alltough I've the feeling that he is on the wrong end width some/many things I just quickly read (like milk as optimal food for hypothyroid), he seems to have at least thought about in a much deeper sense than most of us.
I'll do some experiments with sleep for a few days, wake up at 5am drink some orange juice + egg yolk and water and go back to sleep. Normally I wake up at 7-8am.
I think this is a good idea, for preventing hyperventilation. But if you're doing it to prevent cortisol peak, I think it won't help, and it better not help.
I heard from overkees, that they found he didn't had this cortisol peak in the morning, and that is the reason he is not naturally waking up in the morning.
Maybe something similar is happening width me.

When cortisol increases, PDG2 (which is raised during sleep) gets lower, and that something you definitely don't want, when PDG2 remains high, you will feel tired.

Some other random thoughts:

Sleeping on towel between shoulder blades
I see some future for sleeping on the back. Tried it today for napping.
I put a towel right between my shoulder blades, which make my chest high (in the same sense it is high width good posture/feeling confident)
It feels much higher to hyperventilate in this position, and it feels really energetic and comfortable

Ritalin/cold shower/cortisol connection?
Does ritalin/cold showers make me feel so good because it increases cortisol levels? Which is maybe on the low side ?

Edit2 :
Since its initial discovery by Hans Selye in 1907, cortisol has been the subject of many studies, yielding several different conclusions. Initially, it was found that elevated levels of cortisol were associated with elevated levels of stress, and it was thought that cortisol was released as a cause of stress, as described earlier. However, later studies showed a negative relationship between stress and cotisol levels; they found lower cortisol levels in people living under highly stressful circumstances. How could this be?

When the results of these experiments were further analyzed, scientists found startling relationship. With experiments where participants were subjected to conditions of acute stress (shorter duration), like speaking in public, or being suddenly startled, cortisol was found to be in elevated levels. However, when participants were under conditions of chronic stress (longer duration), like divorce or unemployment, scientists found lower levels of cortisol. This caused them to believe that maybe the relationship between stress and cortisol levels wasn’t so simple. More evidence continued to support the claim that acute stress caused sudden elevation in cortisol levels; if this stress continued, cortisol levels would decline, leading normal levels.