for some, foods can cause mental illness

State of mind, mental focus, ADHD, sleep, motivation, studying etc
sabie
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

for some, foods can cause mental illness

Post by sabie »

In case there is anyone out there who has any kind of mental illness (mental challenges? if you're PC, I am NOT PC) I wanted them to know that food can cause untold suffering, it certainly has for me. I believe that, depending on what you grow up eating and your chemicals/stress levels a lot of damage can be done early on to set you up for problems with your brain later on. Although I knew this I never took the big step (battling an eating disorder among other things kept me distracted) of cleaning up my act because I didn't know the science and didn't have the wherewithall to spend years doing the research. I told my doc all about the WAI diet & site earlier and he thought it was great except "concern" about not eating any grains. lololol I just stuck to the party line and told him my goal is to get off the meds. Well, my doc is not a med pusher but I am thrilled as to how he responded and he also knows I am a skeptic. How lucky for me that someone else spent years doing the research :D thanks guys
rafaelo

Post by rafaelo »

amen
sabie

Post by sabie »

Just wanted to say that by the "party line" I meant "it is all there in the science" as shown by the top notch research that WAI (and RRM?) did.
ana

finally ready to DO IT

Post by ana »

im so excited that I found this active forum...i read the wai book and articles plus the old (inactive) forum...I kept psyching myself up to try the wai diet and experimented with elements of it : raw egg yolks and 70% raw food diet I would say...
I want to ask if its ok to start the diet on just freshly squeezed juices...will that still work...i feel v. bloated lately and want to do the juice fast for both acne and peace of mind ? will this be ok or do i have to have my healthy fats like olive oil for the diet to work?
thanks. :)
ana

oops

Post by ana »

i posted in the wrong topic...but ive been suffering from and ED for about 5 yrs...of course some periods were more severe then others.
I think that having an ED made my hormones go coocoo
and im pretty sure it gave me acne...i had hard white bumps all over my forehead...but they almost all dissapeared once i stopped stressing so much and just began to get happy again? now the problem is that i have infected inflamations as well as blk and white heads all over my back...i have white heads on my face but v. small...my face though is not clear in the sense that i need to wear make up everyday to give me an even complextion...lots of flaky and oily areas and almost all my pores are clogged with subum...im lucky b/c its not red flareups but even pitching my skin a lil' bit will result in a white/yellowish sticky substance comming out from every single pore...my question is...will this diet help get rid of that or is it only for red flare ups?
sabie

Post by sabie »

hi Ana, this is the wrong thread but I think someone will move you (it's like fairies, threads get moved around to their proper place so everything is so organized) :) I myself have an eating disorder as I've mentioned in a couple of posts, if you want to start a thread on ED I would be interested to hear your story. I've only been on this for about 16 days but I feel that this is like working out which I will always do, this is the way I'll always eat. Sabie
nick

Re: finally ready to DO IT

Post by nick »

ana wrote: I want to ask if its ok to start the diet on just freshly squeezed juices...will that still work...i feel v. bloated lately and want to do the juice fast for both acne and peace of mind ?
Yes, there are no fibers in the juices, lessening the burden on your bowels. I would recommend going to a fruit wholesaler and buying a box of oranges. This way it is cheaper and more effecient. But you could also juice apples or fruits too. OJ is the most nutritious though.
will this be ok or do i have to have my healthy fats like olive oil for the diet to work?
thanks. :)
Well, with the juice you need to add fat, olive oil, in order to stabilize your sugar level. There should be some threads in the dilemma section that talk about this, not to mention the old Q&A board.
ana

Post by ana »

THANKS FOR THE HELP...
i read that u need the olive oil to balace out blood sugar level but one of my goals is too lose weight as well so i thought that might be too much calories since the juice itself provides suffice kcals already....but my prime goal is getting rid of the acne...so i was just wondering if just juice alone will fix that problem... :)
nick

Post by nick »

First things first. Don't imagine the bottle of juice as calories waiting to be stored as fat. That can only happen if you overeat! There are no appetite-enhancers in this diet, making it very hard to put on extra wieght.

Also, when eating on this diet, you only eat when your hungry. When your sugar-energy level goes down, you can feel it and the need for some(fruit) makes you you want to eat. Your body will only want just enough, not too much or too little. This way you are keeping your sugar level stable and satisfied. You definitely won't put weight on, you'll lose it.

Drinking juices is easier and saves time, but following the strict sample diet is what is going to clear your acne. I drink about 2.5-3 liters with some other fruits and yolks.

By the way, Ana, have you heard of the Silverchair song "Ana's Song (Open Fire)"? Its about the lead singers anorexia problem. Just a coincidence possibly. This diet is great for people who have 'control issues' with there eating habits, because it gives them full control of working in harmony with their body.

Best of Luck!
sabie

Post by sabie »

I agree Nick, I can see how my whole attitude toward food has been shifting and I have been having "issues" like upset stomach etc. just because I had so many bad symptons from years of food abuse...yet in spite of this I am thinking about eating from a different perspective. I got a scale today so I will get a little more scientific about it but I've had just over two weeks of instinct eating to show me that (even on meds) my body will talk to me. I'm dropping fat (not too much muscle I hope) slowly but I'm not even thinking about that when I eat. I keep going to the bottle of olive oil:) and last night I took a taste of the coconut oil (then I put it on my body, I can't believe what I have been missing). That's why I stopped weighing myself years ago Ana, I saw at last how futile and meaningless it was.
sabie

Post by sabie »

and now that I think of it..having an ED is partially a mental problem as it takes over your life, makes you secretive and alone to a certain extent and can thus either just disrupt your life enough to make you confused and sad or if a bad case drive you to despair.
ana

Post by ana »

haha yes Nick i have heard of the song...
its almost a curse that my parents named me Ana...haha j/k
i have some issues with food but mostly from the past i would say im 85% better I haven't stepped on a scale b/c it doesnt seem to matter anymore and i dont restrict myself only to food my body doesnt want naturally...like meat and dairy...never craved it......im 20 now and have struggled with an ED for 5 yrs now....and although i have restricted myself in the past i always tried to eat as healthy as i can while restrictign following a mostly raw diet ...nuts and olive oil and egg yolk was part of my diet b/c i just listened to what my body asked for...and when i wasnt extercising heavily and walking and mostly vegan raw ive never felt better...so everything in this diet seem to make sense...when i was following somethign similar to it...(it came naturely) ive never felt better and felt and saw some of the positive results ppl. who have tried the diet have stated...b.c i was listening to my body and feeding it what it calls for...
so w/o even trying the diet i know that it works...
thanks for everyones comments and i wish everyone the best
Maleko

Post by Maleko »

For about 10 years I have had a love/hate relationship with food mostly because I didn't really liked how it made me feel, I always felt bloated from it. It just didn't seem right to always walk around feeling bloated after eating. I naturally desired a flat tummy area, and I liked the empty light feeling in the abdomen that came with fasting, of course with fasting you are also not taking in enough energy or nutrients.

So it was a constant dilema, i would get sick of bloating, then i wuold fast, but it would take me a while to recover, and the bloating seemed worse after my first 'wrong' meal following a fast.

Now on the wai diet, i am juicing a ton, and my tummy is much flatter. I really dont like how fiber makes me feel. I am also more regular now, I go once or twice per day every day. Before it was alternating, my bowels would move twice a day, then i wouldn't go for two days, sometimes three days if i ate a bad cooked meal.

The raw fats keep me regular, my abdomen has more free energy now...and my tummy is very flat. I sometimes wonder if some people with eating disorders just dont like how cooked and fibery food makes them feel, especially in the tummy area. This diet is a great solution to that dilema.
ana

Post by ana »

i HATE how fiber and cooked foods make me feel...im sure that was a factor in my ED...I react v. strongly to it even now when i have overcome most of my issues with food.
when i eat cooked for or "bad" foods im left feeling bloated and my eyelids actually puff up and i feel very annoyed and nervous...
sabie

Post by sabie »

the problem is certain foods relieve anxiety (temp of course) so......