Road Trip; what foods to bring along?

Challenges and trouble-shooting
Seth
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Road Trip; what foods to bring along?

Post by Seth »

Thought I would pick your brains. I am heading on a road trip next week for eight or nine days. In light of the fact that it is not all that practical to bring enough fresh OJ on the trip to last the entire time, what would you do? Is this a case where using usual supermarket juice is fine to use?

Seth
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes. Or you could bring lots of dried fruits, nuts and water...
Seth

Post by Seth »

RRM wrote:Yes. Or you could bring lots of dried fruits, nuts and water...
I thought dried fruits were questionable in terms of their effects on the skin.
nick

Post by nick »

Most, if not all the time they are not sun dried, thus they contain some 'dirty' protein. Unless they are specified as being sun dried then they probably aren't. But you could experiment and see how much of an effect they have on your skin. Luckily fruit contains the least amount of protein in general.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Hi Seth, you wrote:
Is this a case where using usual supermarket juice is fine to use?
You might have to be more specific as there are many brands of juice. If you are talking about cartoned OJ like Tropicana, I would think that the answer would be, no.

Some supermarkets have the fresh squeezed plastic bottles that I would think might be a yes, no?

And are you hiking or in a car? Pack a bag of only oranges. Sprinkle a little sugar in your mouth with each slice of orange... if you use sugar, which I don't :shock:

Peel the orange by hand and get all that orangey smell all over... hmmm I can memory smell it now :D
Seth

Post by Seth »

It will be going in a car over a couple thousand miles. Some places are going to be fairly remote and I doubt we will have time to search around for a market that sells fresh juice. In this case, what does one do as it is highly probably that the only juice available will be either from concentrates or have preservatives in it a la Tropicana. It isn't feasible to bring along eight to ten gallons for fresh squeezed OJ.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Okay, buy a cooler. Freeze you juice- maybe as ice cubes??? Lot's of ice.

If they melt, chances they'll still be cold. If you're packing ice melts, stop at a mini-mart gas station and get more ice to keep your juice cold- or frozen :D Put a couple of cubes in with a little water :wink:

More importantly, Don't watch the Movie WOLF CREEK!

Happy travels,

Avalon :)
nick

Post by nick »

Seth wrote: It isn't feasible to bring along eight to ten gallons for fresh squeezed OJ.
Fresh juice lasts maximally about 2 days!
You can't hand juice em?
But then again bringing three crates is almost absurb but I did once for a family vacation trip.
Seth

Post by Seth »

nick wrote:
Seth wrote: It isn't feasible to bring along eight to ten gallons for fresh squeezed OJ.
Fresh juice lasts maximally about 2 days!
You can't hand juice em?
But then again bringing three crates is almost absurb but I did once for a family vacation trip.
There simply won't be enough room in the car. I am going with two other people, plus having to cart orange crates is not practical considering the amount of time I will be gone. I am surprised this issue hasn't been brought up. The last time I was out of town, it was not an issue because I was only away for two days. This, however, is the first time I am away for an extended period of time.

What I don't quite understand is why drinking something like Tropicana is so bad. Even if it is heated, what difference does it make as oranges or grapefruit hardly have any protein content whatsoever. Is there some other reason to be wary of them?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I don't think Tropicana would be that bad as a last resort. But if you can be reasonably sure you will be able to buy fruits on the way, you could just eat whole fruits during the trip.
nick

Post by nick »

Tropicana is a good bet.
I didn't mean to dissuade you from that, just wondering if it was possible to bring some oranges along.
Seth

Post by Seth »

nick wrote:Tropicana is a good bet.
I didn't mean to dissuade you from that, just wondering if it was possible to bring some oranges along.
I didn't take it as dissuading me. I was only trying to understand why juice like that is so bad. Don't get me wrong: I much prefer fresh juice, but in a case like this I thought making an exception was not so bad. I suppose I was hoping to find out just how bad juices like Tropicana are in comparison to other cooked foods and spices.

I have found that with the juice, it is far easier to take it sufficient numbers of calories than if I try to eat mostly whole fruits throughout the day.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Seth wrote:I was hoping to find out just how bad juices like Tropicana are in comparison to other cooked foods and spices.
In comparison not bad at all. Only if you are very susceptible to acne, you might get a little acne from it.
I have found that with the juice, it is far easier to take it sufficient numbers of calories than if I try to eat mostly whole fruits throughout the day.
Indeed.