protein alternatives?

Challenges and trouble-shooting
claireelis
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

protein alternatives?

Post by claireelis »

i'm doing the wai diet to improve my health. i am allergic to nuts and can't keep sashimi down (i don't know why - too fatty probably). 1 or 2 egg yolks daily go ok. i've done calculations with the nutrient calculator and i only come up with 20 - 30 g of protein a day. right now my diet consists of fruit juices, olive oil and yolks. i'd like to keep it this way for a while (so no whole fruits or munch foods).

questions:
is 20 - 30g of protein daily enough for female, 57kg?

my doctor said that due to chronic illness i have increased protein requirements - does that seem plausible?

if i'm not getting in enough protein what are the healthiest alternatives? adding certain greens (e.g. lettuces) to my juices or spirulina?
claireelis

Post by claireelis »

i found this in the oldest forum:
http://www.3.waisays.com/SuppAminoAcids.htm

would this be a good idea in my case?
RRM
Administrator

Re: protein alternatives?

Post by RRM »

claireelis wrote:i am allergic to nuts and can't keep sashimi down (i don't know why - too fatty probably)
There are plenty of varieties, non-fatty ones included.
Surfclams, for example, or ama ebi (raw sweet shrimps)
Check out the sashimi thread
viewtopic.php?t=1257
This is by far your best option.
1 or 2 egg yolks daily go ok.
What about consuming more egg yolks?
is 20 - 30g of protein daily enough for female, 57kg?
No, certainly not on the long haul.
my doctor said that due to chronic illness i have increased protein requirements - does that seem plausible?
It is, depending on how much daily reconstruction your body has to perform
if i'm not getting in enough protein what are the healthiest alternatives? adding certain greens (e.g. lettuces) to my juices
Thats very ineffective.
or spirulina?
Thats very ineffective as well.
claireelis

Post by claireelis »

ok thanks for the feedback! i'll try some low fat sashimi again soon - in really small pieces and amounts spread over a couple of meals. that might just work :) sure hope so!
johndela1

Re: protein alternatives?

Post by johndela1 »

RRM wrote:
claireelis wrote: is 20 - 30g of protein daily enough for female, 57kg?
No, certainly not on the long haul.
if i'm not getting in enough protein what are the healthiest alternatives? adding certain greens (e.g. lettuces) to my juices
Thats very ineffective.
I'm a bit confused, does fruit contains all the protein one needs?
Or am I misunderstanding this article: http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/13/protein.htm

which is titled: Fruit Contains All Required Protein
claireelis

Post by claireelis »

i thought the same thing, but in that article brazil nuts and avocados are also used in the calculations. i'm allergic to nuts so i think that's where i miss out. also it would mean eating *a lot* of fruit when denser foods like nuts and avocados are excluded.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, without the nuts you cannot get all protein from fruits only.
The article was just to show that you dont necessarily need protein from animal food. Without both nuts and animal food its impossible on this diet though.
chris m failla

Post by chris m failla »

This question is not about protein per se, but about nutrients and vitamins in general. If our bodies make some amino acids and some vitamins by itself, why do we need ingest " all " nutrients from food? Because of course fruits, egg yolk, fish cover all bases. But why cant we just eat so little, if trying to lose weight, and not worry about all the so called nutrients? Thank you kindly :D
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Im not sure whether i understand your question.
chris m failla wrote:If our bodies make some amino acids and some vitamins by itself, why do we need ingest " all " nutrients from food? ?
Because we cannot sufficiently produce them ourselves. What we cannot produce ourselves, is what we refer to as ´all nutrients that we need´.
, so that they are actually ´all nutrients that we need from food´.
why cant we just eat so little, if trying to lose weight, and not worry about all the so called nutrients?
You CAN eat little, but then these foods need to be from all food groups, so that you dont lack vitamins, amino acids etc.
Eating little and also not eating fish, nuts etc is provoking deficiencies.
Furthermore, you should not willingly undereat in order to lose weight, as that will come back to haunt you.
claireelis

Post by claireelis »

just wanted to update that i've been able to increase my protein by eating more fish. i keep it down most of the time and i am feeling better and getting stronger - have enough energy to do sports :)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Nice :)