Deficiency in Vitamin D

Challenges and trouble-shooting
happy_face
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Deficiency in Vitamin D

Post by happy_face »

The nutrients table shows only 80IU and the recommended intake is 200IU. My options are: eating more fish or yolks, getting more sun or taking supplements.

I would naturally go for the yolks/fish but my acne might be affected by taking more proteins, and even if I took, say, 6 yolks, it would still be to low in Vitamin D. Sun is not an option where I live (during all winter) and supplements (cod liver for ex.) are not recommended in the acne diet.

What would you suggest? Buy a special light that fakes daylight, moving to California or Italy? :lol: 8) I have thought about every possible solution but I am not finding THE answer :cry:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The recommendations are safe levels, which means that if your body produces very little vitamin D, then you would maximally need that much vitamin D from your food, also based on the assumption that your absorption rate is low as well.

Fact is that rickets (due to a lack of vitamin D) is something of the past as we no longer live in smogged cities as we used to do in the onset of the industrial age. They used to cure that by letting city children visit the countryside / seaside.
Nowadays, all you need to do is to go out and spend time in the open air (as that heavy smog is not there anymore), and then even in northern scandinavia your sunlight exposure is big enough to stimulate vitamin D synthesis.
But even without that, the vitamin D from raw egg yolks and raw fish is readily absorbed, and there is no reason to believe that your absorption rate is low. Actually, if you consume little vitamin D, then the absorption rate is high.

And if you are still worried; consuming only 60 grams of tuna already supplies you with more than half the vitamin D officially recommended. Consuming egg yolks ensures you of sufficient vitamin D-precursors.
But again, these are SAFE levels, considering all other aspects of vitamin D metabolism to be negative, with extra 'build in' safety margins.
happy_face

Post by happy_face »

Thanks RRM.