How much protein in one sitting?

Challenges and trouble-shooting
djkvan
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

How much protein in one sitting?

Post by djkvan »

If one wanted to consume a large quantity of eggs (say 20) in the evening, would it best to have five every half hour rather than 20 all at once? I'm guessing that this is a no-brainer and that small portions are best even with proteinaceous meals. Also, same question for salmon: how much in one sitting; how long before the next portion in the same evening? THX!
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
RRM
Administrator

Re: How much protein in one sitting?

Post by RRM »

djkvan wrote:If one wanted to consume a large quantity of eggs (say 20) in the evening, would it best to have five every half hour rather than 20 all at once?
That depends.
If you are working out, and you want to make sure as most of it is used for (re)construction purposes,
it would be best to consume them all in one meal after exercise, about 1 to 2 hours before you go to bed.
and of course you can spread that intake into say 4 smaller meals in that same time frame (1 to 2 hours)
But if you work out in the morning, you may consume half after your exercise and the other half before you go to bed.
If you are not physically active during the day, you may better consume several small proteinaceous meals, indeed.
Also, it may be that your stomach doesnt allow 20 yolks in one sitting.
same question for salmon: how much in one sitting; how long before the next portion in the same evening? THX!
Same answer.
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

RRM wrote:Also, it may be that your stomach doesnt allow 20 yolks in one sitting.
I think this is the case. I think ideally, that my stomach seems to respond optimally to about five eggs at a time. Digestion seems to initiate quite quickly with this amount and I can actually track the location of the digesting yolks based on stomach and intestinal peristalsis sounds, whereas my stomach/intestines seems to remain quite silent for some time when I consume larger quantities, as if in shock.

Switching topics, I've been testing my protein tolerance for the last two days feeling that low iron might be an issue for me. Yesterday afternoon I had several (10 :oops:) yolks and followed them with some OJ mix about 45 minutes later. That did not go well at all. Hours later I still had an OJ/yolk mix in my stomach with mild indigestion and belching. It sucked. I didn't feel quite right for the rest of the day. This morning I actually slept in and felt tired when I woke up. UGH! Not going to do that again.

In the mornings I go for a walk and then sometimes a leisurely bike ride. By the early afternoon I seem to want something more than just my OJ mix. Whether it's fat or protein, I don't know, but I seem to reach for eggs, though in the past I have found avocados equally satisfying at this point in the day (maybe I should eat both mixed together). Anyways, five yolks or less seems like a good number for the afternoon, as I can drink my OJ mix within an hour after that without problems I think. I'm just wondering how you can distinguish different needs that your body has. Is there something qualitatively different between a protein versus a fat versus a sugar craving?

I discussed my bloodwork with my doctor today and everything came back normal. :D. I still have to get an abdominal ultrasound for some intestinal issues, but all is well for now. I'm thinking that my problems sleeping, mild headaches upon awakening, slight muscle wasting and concentration issues were related to low blood sugar. Since increasing my granulated sugar intake to 200g with 2L of OJ instead of 100g I have felt and slept better and in spite of taking in about 400 extra calories a day my weight seems to be going down ever so slightly. It seems that my hunger levels fluctuate somewhat, though. I'm not sure what is up with that. Sometimes I'll feel like I need a series of sips in a short period of time when relatively inactive, while occasionally at times when I am more active I won't feel dips and need sips at all. I think my metabolism is fluctuating a little and still perhaps has a memory of higher energy intakes at certain points of the day (a carryover from the three meal a day life I think). I'm becoming more active now that it's summer in Vancouver, but I'm getting the feeling that the body's metabolism becomes very efficient on the Wai and burns energy easily. It should be interesting to see how things progress in the months to come.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

If you're sensitive to fiber, then 45 min between protein and (unsieved?) OJ might not be enough. You could experiment with drinking some sugar water if you need energy.
It's not that easy to get deficiencies on this diet (unless you're only drinking sugar water or something ;)), and since both fish and egg yolks (and fruits) contain iron, I wouldn't worry about it.
Give the diet some time, it's not a miracle cure, though over time it will cure things to the best of its ability. :)
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

Oscar wrote:If you're sensitive to fiber, then 45 min between protein and (unsieved?) OJ might not be enough.
Hi, Oscar. My fiber sensitivity is more in the region of the ileum/large bowel. The OJ/OO/sugar mix was sieved, it just curdled with the remaining yolk on my stomach and hung around for hours there.
Oscar wrote:Give the diet some time, it's not a miracle cure, though over time it will cure things to the best of its ability. :)
That's what I'm hoping. Nothing but OJ/OO/sugar, yolks and salmon for me (okay and maybe the odd avocado or other piece of fruit). ;D
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

:D