300 gram raw beef 4 L orange juice

Challenges and trouble-shooting
Kasper
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: 300 gram raw beef 4 L orange juice

Post by Kasper »

I tried the herring.
It was not that bad, but I don't think I can eat this on a daily basis. I don't know what is exactly, just love fresh stuff I think.

At the moment I eat 500 gram salmon a week. 250 gram twice a week. My freezer is not big enough for a whole salmon, so that won't work I'm afraid. I have a very small freezer in a very small fridgde :P. Also my freezer is only -5 celcius, is that enough ?

Still searching for cheap alternatives. Next thing I'm going to try is mackerel. I love the mackerel I get in a japanese restaurant. Although I heard from the boss of that restaurant that you need to marinate mackerel width a sort of acid. Anyone ever heard about this ?
Iris

Post by Iris »

I can imagine, I wouldn't want to eat it on a daily basis myself either. And I also can't eat 300 gr at once (when I posted about it, I had just recently discovered it, so hadn't experimented with it).

There is another option to get your omega 3, but I don't know if you are willing to try something as "radical" as this ;D Brain. In theorie this could be a perfect "solution" for you. It solves the omega-3 issue, and is very cheap. Possibly even for free.
I don't exactly know what the risks are regarding parasites, and I don't know how concerned you are about it. Maybe Oscar or RRM would know what brains would be the safest (I know Oscar knows someone who eats salmon brain (and eyes?))
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kasper wrote:my freezer is only -5 celcius, is that enough ?
Thats ok.
Its just that the lower the temp, the longer the fish will last.
I heard from the boss of that restaurant that you need to marinate mackerel width a sort of acid. Anyone ever heard about this ?
Yes, just like lemon juice will do.
It denaturates the protein; as if it was cooked (without the hazardous effects).
Iris

Post by Iris »

RRM wrote:
I heard from the boss of that restaurant that you need to marinate mackerel width a sort of acid. Anyone ever heard about this ?
Yes, just like lemon juice will do.
It denaturates the protein; as if it was cooked (without the hazardous effects).
Why is it mackerel needs to be marinated? Why can't you just eat it unmarinated?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mackerel deteriorates very rapidly, so that you cannot keep it in the fridge longer than a day;
after that it doesnt taste so good anymore, and the next day it will taste worse.
So, yes, you can eat it raw, but then it needs to be absolutely fresh.
If so, it tastes incredibly good.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Ah, I see. That sounds more familiar :)
So, when you marinate it with lemon juice or similar, you can keep it in the fridge longer without the mackerel going bad?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Iris wrote:Maybe Oscar or RRM would know what brains would be the safest (I know Oscar knows someone who eats salmon brain (and eyes?))
I don't really know...yes he (a microbiologist) eats fish brains, not the eyes though.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I think that eating fish brains is relatively safe, as its the last organ that gets infected with parasites.