sick stomach

Challenges and trouble-shooting
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by RRM »

Also note that some (press-) orange species (e.g. Cuban) are very hard and unripe (even green!) on the outside while perfectly ripe and delicous tasting...
tjfillion

Post by tjfillion »

Besides taste, what's a good indication of ripeness for oranges or apples? They're the only fruit I'm not so sure on and so I'm wondering for juicing them.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Regarding oranges, its only taste that can help you out.
I have been fooled by the looks of oranges many times.
In general, its true that the darker the juice, the riper the orange, but that doesnt help you, since then you can also taste it.
Since there are so many different apples, I find it even harder to judge ripenesss of apples from the outside (it really depends on the specie)
nick

Post by nick »

RRM,

do you juice an orange then taste it then keep it or throw it away?
I usually juice a about a cup, then taste it, but since I drink juice all day long, I don't know if I can tell anymore!
The softer the better is a good guideline but not always true.

I went to the dentist today and they said my gums were swollen and when they cleaned my teeth they bleed, so that wasn't good. They also said my teeth had some erosion, from the acids! However, my teeth are really strong and clean. Perhaps this is from the couple of months when I wasn't too picky about the ripeness.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

When your gums are swollen and they bleed, it means they are inflamed. The cause is plaque, a mixture of food debris, saliva, and bacteria. At the moment I think that a perfect cleaning once per day, using the Bass method (and flossing if necessary), should be sufficient to ensure teeth and gum health. Toothpaste is not needed, and its abrasiveness could damage the teeth.

The Bass method works like this: Place the hairs under a 45° angle on the gum/tooth border, then gently massage/rotate using very small movements.
Of course cleaning of other surfaces is also needed, but make sure not to use too much force.

Hope this helps. :)
nick

Post by nick »

Thanks Oscar! My dentist told me to floss everyday as well. I will try the bass method!

Also, since starting this diet, I have had a yeast growing on my tongue, my tongue is has a white pasty wheaty thing growing on it. Could this be part of the bacteria problem? They gave me a mouthwash to use, but I still need to go pick it up.

Thanks again.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

You better go and get the mouthwash... :roll:
Also, you (everybody, actually) need to brush your tongue with a toothbrush daily.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

You're welcome. :)

Yeast is a fungus, so no bacteria. You might have long villi ('hairs' on your tongue), which could facilitate the growth of fungi. Cleaning your tongue is a good idea.

Mouthwash is a bacteria killer, so it will kill all bacteria on the surface. It will not reach all the bacteria in the plaque, and also not those in the sulcus gingivalis (the 'pocket' between the gum and the tooth), so it is still essential to clean thoroughly.
nick

Post by nick »

RRM wrote:Regarding oranges, its only taste that can help you out.
I have been fooled by the looks of oranges many times.
In general, its true that the darker the juice, the riper the orange, but that doesnt help you, since then you can also taste it.
Since there are so many different apples, I find it even harder to judge ripenesss of apples from the outside (it really depends on the specie)
I recall you saying that its better that the oranges are more overripe than not ripe. When the oranges are just about to go bad, they'll have a soft spot on it that eventually gets bigger and starts rotting. I find that these are less acidic and was wondering if that is what you meant by a little overripe. I have been juicing oranges like this for the past few days and I have notice that the juice is calmer and cooler tasting than having that acidic bite that it used to. Just wondering if this is what you meant. Because my mouth feels much better.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, the riper the better indeed, for your stomach, your teeth, and overall health.
jfk

Post by jfk »

Sorry for asking another question but, for the last week or so have been getting occasional stomach cramps after eating. I was wondering what the most common causes are?

I am finding the cause very difficult to identify, it doesn't specifically seem to be one fruit. I don't get it after eating yolks alone or salmon/tuna, so it is the fruit.

Particularly yesterday it was bad. I had some pineapple - which I thought was ripe - but then my tongue hurt afterwards and I read on a thread that this could mean it was not ripe (my tongue always hurts after eating pineapple - as if it is abrasive). Anyway after that for the rest of the day my stomach was a bit strange - I sipped juice and had some tomato and avocado together. This morning I still have some cramping. Now I'm a bit hungry but I'm afraid to eat as I hate this feeling.

As a separate note, do people become more sensitive on this diet - I feel like foods that I could eat before without a thought now affect me?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

jfk wrote:Sorry for asking another question
Dont be sorry.
Thats where this board is for.
I had some pineapple - which I thought was ripe - but then my tongue hurt afterwards and I read on a thread that this could mean it was not ripe (my tongue always hurts after eating pineapple - as if it is abrasive)
It obviously wasnt fully ripe.
Pineapple is a 'difficult' fruit in the sense that it really needs to be completely ripe. Otherwise it may definitely cause problems, hurting your lips and tongue, and causing cramps.
Now I'm a bit hungry but I'm afraid to eat as I hate this feeling.
Just learn from this experience.
Learn to select fruits that are VERY ripe. Better too much ripe than too little ripe. When in doubt, dont take it.
do people become more sensitive on this diet - I feel like foods that I could eat before without a thought now affect me?
Yes, you become more sensitive to all substances that can have adverse effects to your body, simply because your body is less sedated; it no longer tolerates almost anything, being in a sedated state.
This is how your body should function; warning you for anything not so good for you.
zenibee

Post by zenibee »

Could unripe fruit also cause itching all over? This morning I had the worst stomach cramps EVER after drinking some fresh squeezed OJ. The first few sips were straight and then I added a capful of OO. I don't know if I drank it too fast (although I always do) but about 10-15 minutes later my stomach ached and I felt naseous. I went to the bathroom and afterwards I started itching all over, first my scalp and chest, then my face, the palms of my hands, my feet, my knees and now my feet again. Could I be having an allergic reaction to something?

For breakfast I had two small peeled apples, some shelled by hand walnuts (one did look kindof scetchy but the cramps didn't start until an hour later after the OJ) one dried apricot and some volvic h20...What's wrong with me???
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

zenibee wrote:Could unripe fruit also cause itching all over?
Yes, absolutely.
Unripe fruits contain a variety of 'detergents' that need to keep you from consuming them. Many of these may cause allergic-like reactions.
What's wrong with me???
Nothing.
Just make sure that the fruits you eat are really very ripe.
twinee1

Post by twinee1 »

I am finding I get a stomach ache when I eat an orange. I definatly cannot do OJ, painful !