Bloated

Challenges and trouble-shooting
razza
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Bloated

Post by razza »

I've been on the sample diet for 5 days now, but was raw before that. I thought maybe my bloating was caused by all the preshelled nuts that I was eating before, but its still a problem, and I'm not eating any nuts now. Has anyone else had a problem with this, and did it go away?
nick

Post by nick »

What do eat?
Mostly whole fruits or juices?
When did it start?

Juice contain the least amount of fiber thus burdening your bowels the least. Also, this could just be a short term effect from the diet change.
razza

Post by razza »

I eat mostly whole fruits, sometimes some fresh squeezed OJ. Yesterday I ate:

honeydew
bananas
apples
raspberries
raisins
tomato/cucumber/avocado salad w/ oo
sashimi

All fruits were eaten with coconut oil. I've been raw for basically a year with a few months of cooked in there, but I regularly eat lots of fruit, so I don't think its that different.

I have always had trouble with bloating and gas with a raw diet, so that has been pretty consistent the last year. But I was also binging on nuts/ seeds/ raw desserts to feel "full" which caused me problems.

The one time during raw my stomach was really not bloated was when I was eating fruit and blended greens with very small amounts of fat--ie Ann Wigmore's energy soup. But that was not very satisfying. =(

This week I have not had any cravings at all for cooked, feel much more stable, but still bloated...

How often should I try drinking juices? I only have a citrus juicer, so it would be OJ.
avo

Post by avo »

Gradually try replacing some of the more fibrous fruits with OJ. I feel better than I did before this change, at one point I felt that I was eating too much fiber and 'bulk' which caused me to feel slightly sluggish and weighed down.

Now I have about 8 cups of OJ (with sugar and oil), avocado and sugar, plus whatever I feel in the mood for 1 meal (bananas, pineapple, mamey, etc). Most importantly, I also have salmon/tuna most days of the week, having yolks maybe once or twice a week. I think that the fish makes me feel great.

Having OJ as the staple of the diet is also very practical, because not everywhere you go can you eat avocado or fruits. Also, it is very hydrating, moreso than just water.
razza

Post by razza »

So you juice all of your OJ for the day at once to take with you? I thought that fresh juice loses many of ts enzymes/nutrients shortly after juicing. Does this have an effect on acne?
nick

Post by nick »

As long you keep the juice in the refridgerator in bottles with lids, the juice won't oxidize and go bad.
Fresh juice doesn't lose nutrients or enzymes that I know of. If it did, it is too little to even consider. It has no effect on acne.

I juice the night before and have the juice ready for the next day.
avo

Post by avo »

I think that juice does lose it nutrients. Somewhere there was an analysis on store OJ, comparing Vit C content to label (which is from time of packing). ZERO vitamin C! Wow....

Personally, I juice oranges twice a day; once first thing in the morning before school, again before work, maybe another cup or two after work if I am low. I wouldn't make it the night before, unless I had to wake up real early or something, but that's just me.

It only takes me 20 or so minutes to make 3-4 cups and clean up, and that is when I'm not in a rush, so no big deal really.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I too think that OJ loses some of its nutrient content over time, but given that we already get plenty of nutrients anyway, this isn't much of a concern.

About the bloating: do you eat fibrous fruits (raisins?) with, or close to, eating animal protein?
razza

Post by razza »

No, I allow for several hours before and after eating animal products. Something is not right though.

Last night I had oj with 1 and a half egg yolks in it, and shortly after drinking it, my belly was making the most terrible gurgling noises. This continued all through the night, disturbing my sleep, and finally this morning I took an enema to relieve some of the pressure.

I have been vegan for the last year--maybe all this animal food is hard for me to digest?

Avo, where do you get your oranges from? I'm in FL too but the oranges in the stores aren't ripe yet because it's not quite the season for them. Are you juicing the ones that are still part green on the end?

Thanks for all the help!!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

razza wrote:Last night I had oj with 1 and a half egg yolks in it, and shortly after drinking it, my belly was making the most terrible gurgling noises.
Ah, yes this happens to some, which can mean 2 things:
1) You are very sensitive to the bacteria in animal food (which is very likely since you are not used to eating it). You better start with only 1 teaspoon daily for 3 days. Then 2 teaspoons daily, and so on.
2) Your body doesnt like the combination of yolks and juice. In some thats simply the case; they cant deal with that combination. So that leaves you to trying the gradual increase as mentioned above.
...oranges... Are you juicing the ones that are still part green on the end?
In some varieties that is not a problem at all; like the Cubans, most Brazilians and some South Africans; they can be perfectly ripe inside and green on the outside. In most other varieties, on the other hand, it simply means they are not ripe.
avo

Post by avo »

Well, most of the navels I have now are sour, no matter what the outside looks like; green, orange, or even brown patches, all sour-ish. I heard this is common with the first batch of oranges, hopefully next week or so should be better.

For other oranges, I just wait till soft, they are usually very sweet then.