3 day fasting triggers immune system regeneration

Breathing, sleeping, running, meditation, yoga, relaxation
dime
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

3 day fasting triggers immune system regeneration

Post by dime »

Interesting new study on the effects of fasting for 3 days:
In both mice and a Phase 1 human clinical trial involving patients receiving chemotherapy, long periods of not eating significantly lowered white blood cell counts. In mice, fasting cycles then “flipped a regenerative switch,” changing the signaling pathways for hematopoietic stem cells, which are responsible for the generation of blood and immune systems, the research showed.
RRM
Administrator

Re: 3 day fasting triggers immune system regeneration

Post by RRM »

One could also reason that stimulating regeneration accelerates ageing of those stem cells.
dime

Post by dime »

I was thinking the same. Is it known how much they "age", what are their limits? If a person does this once a month, will they run out of the stem cells? I know people have donated blood for 100+ times and are healthy, which is different than this but I guess has similar effect on triggering stem cells to generate new blood.
Interesting coincidence btw, I learned that in Islam 3 day fasts are prescribed on the 14-15-16 of every month.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

A tricky aspect is that you may be both very healthy and have prematurely aged stem cells.
Looking at our bones; In all countries with the highest bone mineral density in adults (=strong bones), osteoporotic fracture rates in the elderly are highest too.
One could reason that 3 day fasts may come with both lots of autophagy and accelerated ageing of stem cells.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

So the symptoms of accelerated ageing aren't gradual?

For example, skin becomes gradually more wrinkly with age, no?
Of all the skin cells, some age much faster than others, due to differential exposure to toxins, radiation etc.
So, as you age, some of these cells will reach the finish line first, later followed by others, at a trickling rate.
Thus, the percentage of finished cells increases with age, and therefore also wrinkling becomes more obvious with age.