Re: silly; egg yolk & sliced banana

Post by Monique »

thx bluefrog
hey sunkist, whats the "he he" about?
Sunkist

Post by Sunkist »

Hi Monique
Just chuckling about what Blue Frog said...I know sometiems it is hard at first to get used top raw egg yolks...I never could eat raw egg whites!! I'm glad the egg whites are not part of Wai's diet!!

:)
Monique

Post by Monique »

me 2!
im lovin d yolks though!
Sunkist

Post by Sunkist »

:)
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Hey folks,

I've been reading up on Wai's diet for the last few days and find it very interesting.

Whilst I do not have a problem with acne, I am interested in improving my healthy through eating raw, natural foods.

So, first things first, Before my shower each morning, I drink a homemade tofu 'shake', consisting of a 350g packet of 'momen' (semi-firm?) tofu and two bananas. These two basic ingredients are pureed together the night before, along with enough water to fill the blender container, and the liquid mixture is chilled overnight in the fridge.

With limited time in the morning, I believe such a breakfasts offers a healthy start to the day, which typically features a fruit-based lunch and raw vegetables in the evening.

However, according to Wai's recommendations, tofu - being derived from cooked soy beans - should not be consumed. Therefore, I am considering using raw egg yolk as a protein alternative.

So would blending the bananas with a little olive oil and water, then stirring in raw egg yolk (although not blending it, which will change the protein composition, correct?), make for a healthy, breakfast each morning?

Thanks, kind regards,
James
x
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

jmbattle:
would blending the bananas with a little olive oil and water, then stirring in raw egg yolk (although not blending it, which will change the protein composition, correct?), make for a healthy, breakfast each morning?
Hi James,
Yes, since your skin isnt susceptible to acne, you can blend the bananas, and with the egg yolk and olive oil it will make for a healthy breakfast.
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Gosh, that was fast, thanks for the response!

However, I always blend the bananas - I was not under the impression that blending fruit would be damaging - yet was planning to simply stir in the egg yolk. However, are you saying that blending the egg yolk with the mixture would be alright; it would not reduce the health benefits, for example?

Kind regards,
James
x
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Ah, I see I was too quick off the mark to notice you had modified your post...

Great, I'm rather looking forward to trying this.

Of course, we are all different, but assuming two medium sized bananas, how much olive oil and how many egg yolks would be an optimum combination?

Thanks again,
James
x
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hello James, welcome on the forum. :)

Depending on what you would eat the rest of the day, you could for instance add one egg yolk per banana. You could also mush the bananas instead of blending, which goes almost as fast and saves cleaning the blender afterwards. ;)
I find it difficult to give advice about olive oil, because I always pour it, but I think you can't easily put too much oil on it.
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Fantastic. This morning I tried a couple of bananas, one egg yolk and some water to help blending (I do not have any olive oil yet...it is a little pricy here), and the result was a most delicious, smooth 'shake'.

I was rather careful to separate the yolk, and even successfully drained the 'bag'; something I hadn't realised existed up until today!

The separating process took quite a while however, so I am after some tips. I am usually short of time in the mornings, so would prefer to prepare this breakfast the night before and leave the contents the fridge - would this be risky?

Thanks chaps,
James
x
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Personally I wouldn't leave it overnight, but eat it fresh. I'm not sure how fresh the yolk stays after one night in the fridge.

You can spare 5-10 mins in the morning, no? Mushing bananas in a bowl: 1 min. Getting the yolk: 1-2 min per egg. Adding oil + stirring: 1 min. Time to spare :)

Getting the egg yolk depends on the freshness of the egg. The fresher, the easier, because the bag doesn't break so easily. Of course experience helps hugely. I break the egg with a knife, crack it open, pour out most of the eggwhite, then take the yolk in my hand and get rid of more eggwhite by moving it from one hand to the other. Then rinse your fingers if they are slippery, and gently grab the bag. Make a hole and let the yolk pour out.

Hope this helps. :)
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Hi Oscar,

You said you get rid of the rest of the eggwhite by moving it from one hand to another, and then you wash your fingers - an easier way might be to use the actual eggshell halves instead of your fingers to drain the eggwhite. Just scoop the yolk from one eggshell half to another a few times and the yolk easily separates from the white. Then your hands stay clean and you can open the little yolk sac easily without pausing to wash up! :-) Just a friendly suggestion.

Hi James,

Reading about your old breakfast 'shake' recipe made me remember when I used to eat plenty of tofu, and only now do I realise how badly it made me break out - I never made the connection before. It's so nice to know that on this diet I can get all the protein I need without ever having to eat bland soy foods again!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yeah I've tried that, but because of the rough edges of the eggshells, the sack seems to break more easily, and stays more slippery too. Or I'm just clumsy, which could very well be. ;)
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Oscar,

I expect my separation technique will gradually improve with practice. Actually, I too use the egg shells to remove most of the white, then pass the yolk between my fingers - it is actually rather therapeutic first thing in the morning!

CurlyGirl, I still consider tofu (and soy in general) to be a wonderful foodstuff, however the quality and therefore one would assume the nutritional content of varies considerably depending on the supplier and store. I always purchase two packs of 350g momen tofu from the local '99 yen' store - it is cheap, yet there is no nutritional information printed on the packaging...

Another related question: may I ask why bananas are often recommended here for consumption at breakfast? Of course, nearly everyone enjoys bananas, yet is there something in particular that makes them particularly useful first thing in the morning?

Slightly off-topic, this evening I purchased two full bags of 'kaki' (persimmon) extremely cheaply; the fruit chap confirmed my suspicions that they are most likely the last fruit of the season. These persimmon are soft and squashy to the point of almost being burstable - arguably over-ripe - however they taste delicious and have the most wonderful, pulpy flesh.

I have been reading around the internet for nutrition information about these fruits, but would appreciate any insights from the board members here! Tomorrow's breakfast should be delicious!

Take care,
James
x
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

jmbattle
I still consider tofu (and soy in general) to be a wonderful foodstuff,
More than other unnatural foods, soy beans are filled with anti-nutrients, such as phytic acid. Even after very intense processing of these beans, soy products still contains phytic acid. Therefore, if you consume soy, you need extra vitamin A, -B12, -D and -E.

Besides that, soy also by nature contains plant estrogens that interfere with your natural hormone metabolism. Consuming soymilk for 3 months can already decrease estradiol level 27%. (Estradiol is not only an essential sex-hormone, but also essential in the prevention of osteoporosis)

On top of that, the main plant-estrogen in soy, genistein, is also mutagenic, and because of the intense processing, soyproducts also contain mutagenic HCA, such as 2-amino-9H-pyrido(2,3-b)indole and 2-amino-3-methyl-9H-pyrido(2,3-b)indole.

For more info about soy, see:
http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/13/cancer.htm ( the "Phyto-estrogens" section)
and
http://www.prostate90.com/sci_papers/soy_dangers.htm

The USDA database contains nutritional info about persimmon: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

>>> VIEW THE NEXT PAGE >>>