not exercise for weight loss

If you want to get rid of overweight
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

not exercise for weight loss

Post by johndela1 »

Some people at my work ride bikes a lot. Several of them are over weight. Then there is me (I do little exercise and what I do is strength and flexibility stuff). They think that they got fat because they don't exercise as much as they used to when they where kids and if they just exercise they can lose weight. To me it is obviously not working because they have been doing this for years.

Things brings up a question. Why is it that many kids can seem to eat tons of food and no get fat? Is it that there overall calorie balance is actually balanced, I mean they eat what they need or is their metabolism faster or something else? The same goes for some adults that seem to eat way more calories than they need but are very lean.
RRM
Administrator

Re: not exercise for weight loss

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:They think that they got fat because they don't exercise as much as they used to when they where kids and if they just exercise they can lose weight. To me it is obviously not working because they have been doing this for years.
You can lose or gain weight with any type of diet and with any type of exercise.
Bicycling in itself is not a bad method, but its the overal calorie balance that determines whether you lose / gain weight.
Why is it that many kids can seem to eat tons of food and no get fat? Is it that there overall calorie balance is actually balanced,
Yes.
or is their metabolism faster or something else?
No. Scientific research has shown that metabolic differences are rare; its about total energy intake versus total energy expenditure. A snapshot of their eating / exercise behaviour can give you a very wrong picture...
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I don't think this is always the case. I know people who's three meals a day are huge (ie, double cheese burger, large fries, huge soda, dessert) and they are always muchining between meals at their desks and at meetings. I mean just what I see them eat (even if they ate nothing at home, which is doubtful because they have tons of junk there) they'd be eating a huge amount of calories. They do almost no exercise. I see other people who appear to be just teh opposite and are fat.
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Maybe they have lots of sex
:wink: :wink:
Negativity is the cult of the weak
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:I see other people who appear to be just teh opposite and are fat.
"appear" is the right word here. Appearences are very deceitful; thats why they did and do scientific studies about this; what people report or 'appear to be eating', is generally not according to the facts. Its impossible to tell (believe) what people actually (not) eat when you dont see them, unless under supervision 24/7.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

So when you hear about people who supposedly can't eat as much as they want with out gaining weight, they actually aren't eating more calories than someone who says they gain weight easily?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Exactly. How much you 'want' of 'feel like' eating is extremely subjective. The metabolic rate is not; 9 calories too much ingested go into 1 gram of bodyfat, and thats true for everybody.
what people do, is they 'turn it around'; as if they know exactly how much energy their body needs, and as if they know precisely how much they eat, and that its all to blame (or thanks to) their metabolic rate. The opposite is true; its not their metabolic rate.

Why?
We love to think 'its out of our hands', as that relieves us from our own responsibility. Others love to think that they 'are blessed' (with a 'fast metabolism').
Christina

Post by Christina »

RRM
I'm imagining that a lot of people overeat because their stomach is extended, as in stomach hunger.
And if we drink juice with oil and otherwise only have the egg yolks or salmon, our stomach will return to it's original size. Which as a result would bring us closer to our signals for energy needs?
I might just do that for a week or even longer and see.
8) Christina
chris m failla

Post by chris m failla »

:D Hey guys and ladies. My problem is about losing about 40 lbs with a healthy diet. I have been convinced by the administrator that wai diet is the most healthy and most natural. However, when I surf the web I get convinced by the low or zero carb diets that claim fruit is bad and will cause diabetes. Please look at a site called biblelife.org and scroll past the religous stuff down to where it says that eating red meat and saturated fat is healthy while carbs are disease causing. Now I believe deep down that fruit cant be unhealthy because God gave it to use on trees, but for fat loss, dont we need to use our bodyfat as energy opposed to fruit sugar we just consumed for immediate energy. The low carbers claim that insulin levels rise with glucose consumption. Is that true, or does insulin only rise with consuming too much at one time. Please help, Im about 208 lbs at 6'2, but im medium framed and should wai (ha ha) 170 lbs.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Christina wrote:RRM
I'm imagining that a lot of people overeat because their stomach is extended, as in stomach hunger.
Exactly.
And if we drink juice with oil and otherwise only have the egg yolks or salmon, our stomach will return to it's original size.
I dont know about original, but yes, it will shrink.
Which as a result would bring us closer to our signals for energy needs?
Not eating big meals and listening to your energy needs is what brings you closer to these signals.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

chris m failla wrote:low or zero carb diets that claim fruit is bad and will cause diabetes.
Its not the natural sugars that are bad.
Its prolonged repeatedly overeating that can bring the insulin system out of wack; diabetes.
Sugars ingested very constantly, keeping the blood sugar at the right level, can never cause diabetes.
for fat loss, dont we need to use our bodyfat as energy opposed to fruit sugar we just consumed for immediate energy.
We need both. And we always do both.
Our muscles always need lots of sugars when physically active, and our brain needs sugar 24/7. Also, we use bodyfat for energy 24/7, and we also store new body fat after every big meal.
Its the balance between burning bodyfat and storing new bodyfat that will will make you lose / gain fat.
So, no big meals, and relative high fat-burning ratios (walking). But you must never forget to feed your brain and muscles to be able to feel happy, energetic, and to prevent muscle loss.
The low carbers claim that insulin levels rise with glucose consumption.
Compared to the same amount of sugars, protein does even more (when taken in excess).
All energy taken in excess triggers insulin, so that the key is to never eat in excess.
does insulin only rise with consuming too much at one time.
Yes.
When you need more sugar in your blood, of course your body (insulin) will not store ingested sugar. So, you just need to keep on replenishing your blood sugar, and it doesnt get stored (as fat).
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

RRM wrote: All energy taken in excess triggers insulin, so that the key is to never eat .
Can excess fat cause insulin levels to rise?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:Can excess fat cause insulin levels to rise?
Yes. It is even known that elevated levels of fatty acids in the blood induce insulin resistance (and thus diabetes)
Between fatty acids there are differences in insulin response (just like between amino acids).
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

do you any links to support this?

I've read just the opposite
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

ehr, i posted a link (click on the words in blue)
what did you read?