Portion sizes

If you want to get rid of overweight
vcolfaris
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Portion sizes

Post by vcolfaris »

I'm confused about how much to eat at each "meal" or time I eat. If I blend 5-7 fruits with the recommended amount of olive oil, I can easily drink the entire thing at one time (I'm 5'10", 195 with about 14% bodyfat). This keeps me satisfied for hours but am I storing fat from excess calories when I eat/drink this way?

I know one should focus on eating small meals frequently throughout the day but I'm hoping for some practical suggestions. How small? How much is too much? How often?

I know that ultimately I am supposed to be able to know just how much to consume and when, but right now I'm thinking my meals are too big. A rule of thumb (e.g., no more than 700 calories per sitting...) would be really helpful. Thanks!
art

Post by art »

You need to listen to your body. It's very important to pay close attention to your energy needs. Just eat just enough until you feel well balanced, but never overeat. Your body will be very clear in letting you know when you need energy and when you have exceeded that amount. I woulnt even worry about calories
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Sure, but this doesn't really help much.

I know exactly vcolfaris means - one could easily blend a whole hand of bananas with a little water and oil, and drink the 'shake' there and then - in such a case it is extremely difficult to listen to you body, simply because you are consuming a large amount of calories in a short space of time.

I too agree that eating small meals throughout the day is ideal in theory, yet in practice it can prove most impractical - travelling to/from work, spending all day at the office etc.

But I guess that just makes pursuing this way of living all the more challenging! ;)

James
x
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hello, and welcome on the forum. :)

I can't really answer your question, but the biggest 'meal' I eat is my breakfast, which consists of 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 pear, 2 egg yolks, and olive oil.

5-7 fruits sounds a bit too much to me, even though you are 5'10". How many of these meals do you eat per day? Whether or not you store excess calories depends on how much calories you use.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

A guideline that helps me is to eat about once every hour-and-a-half. If I eat too much at one meal, then I can't stand the thought of eating again within the next 90 minutes. So, eat just enough to keep you going for about that long, and then you'll be able to face another small meal. It's great, because you are never more than 90 minutes away from a mini-meal.

Oscar, I eat pretty much exactly the same as you do for breakfast! Then I switch to smaller meals of egg yolks, honey and mashed banana with olive oil, until I eat my munchfood in the evening. Afterwards I only have fruit and olive oil or coconut.
vcolfaris

Post by vcolfaris »

Thanks for the repsonses, everyone. Maybe I will focus on eating 1-3 pieces of fruit with appropriate fat at each meal. I guess if I blend the fruits it will be too easy to overeat. If I want more than 3 pieces at a sitting, then that might mean I waited too long to eat? How's that for a general rule of thumb? The "listen to your body" advice just isn't realistic for me right now.

On another topic...any suggestions for making yolks more digestible and enjoyable to eat? They taste great mixed with everything but I always end up regretting it when I combine them with fruit, juice, potatoes, or rice. Mixing them with avocado seems to be the easiest on my stomach but I don't want to have to eat avocado everytime I want to eat yolks. Perhaps I will just have to eat a bunch of yolks by themselves at the end of the day?

Last question...does anyone eat raw dairy? I know this isn't on the diet (aside from cream and butter and some cheeses for munch foods) but I'm curious.
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Well, I consume two yolks upon arriving at work, and three in the evening, just before going to bed. On both occassions, I extract the yolk liquid into a small cup and add a little water (and sometimes a little sugar), and stir the mixture into a small drink to sip gently.

I recall reading that yolks do not combine terribly well with fruits (other than banana and avacado), perhaps because of the citric acid?

Take care,
James
x
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

CurlyGirl wrote:Oscar, I eat pretty much exactly the same as you do for breakfast!
Funny! What kind of pears do you eat? My favorite so far is Conference.

Yes you're right James, but for me it seems to work fine, at least with pear/apple. I'm not sure if the combination problems are mostly acne related or not.

You could try combining the yolks with OJ or banana. BTW, combining them with rice is not such a good idea. Also, rice and potatoes aren't on the diet.
Your idea is good. If you're still hungry, maybe wait a little bit and then eat again.

I don't eat dairy at all.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Hi Oscar,

I love Bartlett pears - very creamy, but in the UK we also get a pear called Comice that is very sweet and grainy. Yummy!

Yes, yolks with banana is a brilliant combination, and very satisfying if you have it with a tiny bit of honey too. I could live on this alone!

I also don't think rice and yolks go together too well, but Wai does have some recipes in the munchfood section that feature yolks mixed with rice. I think the issue of digestibility centres around fibre - white rice is low in fibre (which therefore doesn't require bacteria to digest it in the gut, or?) and so the digestion of yolks at the same time is not impaired.

I don't seem to have problems digesting yolks with sweet fruit like pears, peaches, etc, but once I tried eating yolks with a salad that contained kiwi fruit and I had an acid stomach all day.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Oh, forgot to mention: I don't eat raw dairy either. I used to make my own 'raw' yoghurt from unpasteurised milk that I bought from a very friendly organic farmer (when I was living in South Africa) - I even milked his cows once! But that was before I started this diet. I have problems with dairy anyway - it gives me mucous, and I really don't need that, since I always had sinus infections, pneumonia even, when I was a child. I don't ever want to be sickly like that again.

But I have to admit that every now and then I can't resist some lovely high-quality ice-cream...
huntress

Post by huntress »

Yumm... pears...... :D

I love Pears! My favourite one is Anjou. Very soft, juicy and sweet!

CurlyGirl, I absolutely love bananas with honey too! I eat them for breakfast most of the time because it's just a great way to start my day; something creamy and sweet!
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Anjou pears! those are from where I grew up in France! Can't find them here in Holland, so I haven't tasted them again since being on the diet, but I remember them being tasty!
Here we get mostly Conference and Comice pears. I like both. I alternate!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yeah the Doyenne de Comice pears are good too. Haven't tasted the other ones yet though.
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

Yum! Pears are so good. My favorite is probably the Bartlett. Especially when it is just over-ripe - super juicy and soft, yet still slightly firm to the touch. I did Wai's diet about a year ago, and want to give it another go. I didn't lose my acne, but I felt pretty good, and my skin definately got softer. I'm going to be starting it tomorrow. I loved to have 16oz. of fresh OJ with 4-5 egg yolks mixed in for breakfast. I could hardly taste the yolks - they just added a slight creaminess. I also mashed up a banana with one or two yolks, and that was quite good and easy to eat. I love raw dairy, though I didn't have it while on Wai's diet, and won't this time either. I can't even drink pasteurized anymore. Lucky for me, it's quite easy to get very high-quality raw dairy here in California. Raw cow's milk, while I love the taste, causes a little mucus formation for me. Raw Goat's milk, however, is equally yummy (it's not strong-flavored like the pasteurized goat milk, at least in my experience) and it hasn't caused any mucus to form at all for me. I have a farm near me that sells it, and I can't wait to start buying it locally - after I've done Wai's diet, of course, or as an experiment after about a month on Wai's strict diet.

Peace,
Amber