Protein intake for active people

How to prevent unwanted weightloss, and/or even gain muscles
llebrem
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Protein intake for active people

Post by llebrem »

Hi to all:

I would like to try this diet for health reasons, not for acne, and I want to know if it can provide me with adequate protein.
I train 2 times per day, weight training and aerobic activities, averaging 3 hours of daily training.
I am a relatively short male, muscular, I weigh 122 pounds and if I eat enough sugars and fats, would just 50 grams of total proteni per day cover my needs?
I have read that RRM can mantain his muscles with an intake of 40 grams or so?
I like all what I read in waysays but I am concerned with protein intake and optimal recovery and muscle mass. Perhaps I should just give it a try and see if I lose protein from muscles at all.

Thanks for your help, this diet sounds awesome! :D
RRM
Administrator

Re: Protein intake for active people

Post by RRM »

llebrem wrote:I want to know if it can provide me with adequate protein.
With this diet, you can ingest as much protein as you want, simply by adjusting your fish / egg yolks intake.
would just 50 grams of total proteni per day cover my needs?
That very much depends on how much of your daily protein intake is converted into energy. If your energy intake is very frequent, less of that protein is converted into energy.
Why dont you simply start experimenting to find out how much protein you need exactly?
You can start with a relative high protein intake and gradually decrease it if you manage to maintain your muscle volume.
I have read that RRM can mantain his muscles with an intake of 40 grams or so?
My total daily protein intake is about 65 gram of protein (OJ: 30 gram, salad: 8.6 gram, fish: 26.5 gram)
llebrem

Post by llebrem »

Thanks for your reply RRM !! :D

I will start with 60 grams of total protein from raw animal food + fruits and go lower (50 grams maybe?) to see what happens.

If I can mantain muscle volume with this ´low intake´ it means that what most athletes are recommended to do is false. Generally intakes of 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body weight is adviced by most coaches. A higher quantity than the norm of 1 gram per kilogram of BW.

I have been reading this site and all what it says about protein makes a lot of sense to me. Why consuming more protein than what we need?
twinee1

Post by twinee1 »

I am female so this may not be relevent to you. I am 5'6" and 125 pds and I maintain a fair amount of muscle going about 30 grams minimum and 50 grams being a high day every 5-7 days. All protein is from egg yolk avo's and brazils fruit (no fish) .
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

llebrem wrote:I will start with 60 grams of total protein from raw animal food + fruits and go lower (50 grams maybe?) to see what happens.
Why lower?
This 65 gram is exactly the level I need to maintain muscle weight. Anything lower is loosing muscles for me.
what is essential though, is that you prevent conversion of protein into energy, of course, by eating small meals very frequently.
Seth

Post by Seth »

OJ has protein? On the bottle it says 0 grams of protein per serving. Are you adding eggs to the OJ?
llebrem

Post by llebrem »

Seth:

How big is the serving? Do you buy bottled OJ?

RRM:

I want to figure out how low can I go without catabolizing my muscles.
Seth

Post by Seth »

llebrem wrote:Hi to all:

I would like to try this diet for health reasons, not for acne, and I want to know if it can provide me with adequate protein.
I train 2 times per day, weight training and aerobic activities, averaging 3 hours of daily training.
Two x's per day for 3 hours? Sounds like serious overtraining. The body doesn't recover fast enough (unless one takes anabolics).
Seth

Post by Seth »

I buy bottled OJ that has been fresh squeezed. They are 64oz/1.9 L bottles.
I drink one and a half bottles per day.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Seth wrote:OJ has protein?
Yes, check out the nutrient calculator.
Just fill in 1000 ml OJ and check the results.
On the bottle it says 0 grams of protein per serving.
That must be something like 0.49%, which is obviously rounded up to 0% (which is quite normal.
Real fresh OJ averagely contains about 0.7% protein, but it varies from 0.49% to 0.8%
Are you adding eggs to the OJ?
No, just sugar and OO.
llebrem wrote:I want to figure out how low can I go without catabolizing my muscles.
Ah, ok.
Seth

Post by Seth »

Wow, I never knew it had that much. If I am drinking close to 4L of OJ a day, is taking 5 egg yolks still advisable?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes. The protein advices are given that you eat lots of fruits or drink juices to meet your energy requirements as well.
Seth

Post by Seth »

Just for clarification: the 5 yolks were determine taking into consideration the amount of protein obtained from fruits and/or juices? (So just the 4L of OJ a day is not enough protein by itself?)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Seth wrote:So just the 4L of OJ a day is not enough protein by itself?
Exactly. Its not just about protein, but their amino acid make up. Protein quality of OJ is low.
Seth, can you please stop placing the quotes in the bottom of your posts?
The way you do it is a bit confusing... :? (you must have noticed that im always editing it away, which is a lot of work)
Seth

Post by Seth »

RRM wrote: Exactly. Its not just about protein, but their amino acid make up. Protein quality of OJ is low.
Seth, can you please stop placing the quotes in the bottom of your posts?
The way you do it is a bit confusing... :? (you must have noticed that im always editing it away, which is a lot of work)
Sorry for the confusing format. I will refrain from doing it further.