Am I eating enough? feeling weak n spacey

How to prevent unwanted weightloss, and/or even gain muscles
Angie
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Am I eating enough? feeling weak n spacey

Post by Angie »

Hello :)

I've been on the wai diet with occasional munch food for almost a month now. My acne's not quite gone, but I can see how well this will work once I'm able to be 100% strict. I feel great... so mentally clear. Lately, however, I've started to feel somewhat weak and spacey.

I'd like to know if I'm eating enough. How to you calculate the optimal amount of calories? I realize the conventional calorie calculating formulas won't work here. I would need between 1500-2000 depending on the day, on a 'normal' diet.

I don't have access to oranges to juice, as they are expensive in my area right now, but I do have grapefruits. I also have unlimited mandarin oranges and tropicana (flash-pasturized) orange juice; perhaps I can substitute these? I am quite sensitive to acne triggers.

I am 5 ft 7.5" and weigh 123.0 lbs. I'm lightly active. I walk for 1 hr outside 3-4 times a week, do light weights 2-3 times a week, and occasionally I attend a Bikram's Yoga class, or a dance class.

This is what I eat on a typical day, not in order:

1 yolk (sometimes)
2 bananas
3 mandarin oranges
5 dried dates,
5 dried apricots,
5 unshelled walnuts
1/2 large cucumber
1 small tomato
1 medium avocado
2 medium sized apples or pears
50 g salmon w/oil, lemon, honey (or 2 eggs with OJ, 1 tsp sugar)
8 oz grapefruit juice (fresh) with olive oil
Olive Oil: At least 10 tbsp.
I eat other fruits occasionally such as melons, papaya, berries, and pomegranates.

Thank You javascript:emoticon(':)')

:)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Welcome on the forum. :)

The optimal amount of calories for you can only be determined by listening to your body. Nevertheless, I'd say aim more for 2000(+) than 1500 (looking at your height/weight/activity level). I don't have time to put your diet in the nutrient calculator, but on first glance it looks to me you need to eat more.

I would avoid the flash pasteurized OJ, but other fresh fruit juices are fine. Basically you can eat any kind of fruit (juice) as long as it's fresh.

Hope this helps. :)
RRM
Administrator

Re: Am I eating enough?

Post by RRM »

Angie wrote:Lately, however, I've started to feel somewhat weak and spacey.
Thats caused by a lack of energy.
You need to eat more frequently.
Angie

more bananas and figs

Post by Angie »

Thanks Oscar, Thanks RRM

I am fine with the nutrient calculator, but I'm unsure of how to interpret the results, as in what is the optimal amount of each nutrient. I'll take another look at it.

I realize on this diet you need many more calories than on a conventional diet.

That third banana won't make it until breakfast....
RRM
Administrator

Re: more bananas and figs

Post by RRM »

Angie wrote:I am fine with the nutrient calculator, but I'm unsure of how to interpret the results, as in what is the optimal amount of each nutrient.
The first thing we need to foucs on, is your energy intake.
There are reasonably reliable tables for how much energy you might need, so that once you have submitted an average day of your diet to the nutrient calculator, you know how much energy it provides you with. Then we can take a look at that number.
So, please submit the foods that listed to the nutrient calculator and tell us how much calories it provides you with.
I realize on this diet you need many more calories than on a conventional diet.
Actually, you dont.
What is true, however, is that with this diet you need to eat much more frequently, as with this diet you simply cannot eat as big (energy dense) meals as with a normal diet.
Biev

Post by Biev »

Sorry, I know I'm new and all, but... that seems like lot of food to me, I couldn't imagine eating more than that! And at the same time 8oz of juice, that's a pretty small glass... It would be way simpler for you to prepare a big bottle of juice, and sip on it throughout the day, rather than force yourself to eat more. When you drink a lot of juice mixed with a bit of oil keeping high energy levels is effortless! At the beginning of the diet I forced myself to eat a lot because I was afraid of not getting enough energy, and then I started to drink more juice and it helped a lot. Now if I feel myself getting tired or weak I just reach for my juice bottle, so I only eat when I feel hungry (not that confused "I feel weird, maybe I'm hungry" feeling), it's so much more comfortable this way...
Christina

Post by Christina »

I cannot believe that you would need more food since she is above 2000 kcal. Eating more frequently than Biev is, seems like you need to eat more than 10,15 times per day. That is the only thing that would, in this diet, make no sense to me. For one, you don't ever get a break from food and second, you bombard your teeth with fruit acids which cannot be good.
Animals that eat a lot are monkeys, rabbits, cows. Doesn't the fish, yolks, oil give us an edge that allows us to eat somewhere betw. carnivores and herbivores?
Angie

The Edge

Post by Angie »

Hello Biev, Christina :)

Those are both great observations, thank you :).

I lost 3 pounds within the first two weeks, and I believe it was all water-retention. I lost an additional 2 but gained it back. Eating just one more or less piece of fruit causes me to loose or gain weight by the next day. it's instant and precise.

I enjoy having this control of my weight. It's amazing! I've had that to some extent within the last 3 years, but not this precise! I wish I could tell everyone I know, so they could enjoy it too!

I have yet to do the nutrient calculator because of the Holiday Season, but this leads me to believe I'm getting enough calories.

Lately I've been discouraged with the vast amount of time it takes to prepare all the food. I've considered going back to my previous diet. Then I eat something cooked, and it doesn't taste that good anymore. It tastes good to a point, but I can taste all the bad stuff in it too. It's all detailed and separate, like my taste buds have received an upgrade. That is the most amazing thing yet! javascript:emoticon('8)')

So what is needed then, is a way to make this more time efficient. I've been keeping a lot of cracked walnuts, figs and dates with me at all times, and things I don't have to prepare such as bananas and mandarin oranges.

Juicing fruits should be no problem, but I feel like I'm wasting a lot of fruit to make that small amount of juice. I know it's silly... those whole fruits would fill me up much more... I will try it though javascript:emoticon(':)')

Thanks for the advice! It is much appreciated!
Biev

Post by Biev »

I feel that way too about juicing fruit ^.^;; We really feel guilty about anything and everything, huh! Though I'm guilty of drinking pasteurized juice too, depending on my orange supplies : P Lucky it doesn't make my skin break out, it sure is convenient...

When I first started the diet I spent a lot more time preparing my food. Now I keep a container of mixed dried fruits and nuts, and it follows me around all day, that and my big juice bottle (orange juice + oil + sugar). It makes things easier because I don't have to refill those all that often. I also keep a container of prepared berries in the fridge if I have any.

Instead of peeling and cutting up two fruits, then cracking some nuts, then rummaging for other stuff to throw on there, then having to clean up the same thing each time, I have one fruit (often bananas, it's easiest), and I just sprinkle it with the dried fruit / nut mix or berries or both. Then the salad is pretty quick to make at lunch, and at night I usually just get yolks in juice, so it only takes a minute, and I end up with almost no dishes to wash. Win!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Christina wrote:Eating more frequently than Biev is, seems like you need to eat more than 10,15 times per day. That is the only thing that would, in this diet, make no sense to me.
We are accustomed to eating just a few meals a day, but how natural is that, really?
Most of our natural food is plant based food, and we therefore may be closer to herbivores than carnivores when it comes to meal frequency. And most herbivores keep on grazing, not confined to just a few dozens of 'meals' a day.
Animals that eat a lot are monkeys, rabbits, cows. Doesn't the fish, yolks, oil give us an edge that allows us to eat somewhere betw. carnivores and herbivores?
The portion of our food that is from animal origin, is quite small, so it must be closer to a herbivore meal frequency.
Angie

Meal Frequency

Post by Angie »

Hi Biev,

That sounds like a great solution. Just need to make the time to crack nuts in the evenings, make juice and salad in the morning. The dried fruit and nut mix sounds great.

It seems to be important to get enough different fruits for nutrient content. Eating more frequently is important too.

It is crazy how we are so afraid to waste the fruit. For me it's strictly cost-related. I tried juicing apples yesterday, and it produced such a small amount!!! Naturally, humans wouldn't have had access to fruit juice - that's just to adjust this diet to modern society I guess.

I do react to pasturized juice, but I'd rather drink that and react, than not have enough energy, since I can't always go out and get enough fruits to juice. I'm working on solving that. :)
Angie

Nutrient Calculator

Post by Angie »

Hello,

Here is what the nutrient calculator says. I'm older then the age range I chose, but it is accurate by weight. Sometimes I add coconut, papaya or blueberries, and whatever else is available. The amount of Olive Oil is an estimate only.

RDA: FDA Women, 19-24yr (164cm/65in, 58kg/128lb)

Your selection:
[Item 1] 3lb (avoirdupois, US ounces) of Avocado (Persea americana), California, [1],
[Item 2] 500g (grams) of Banana (Musa X paradisiaca), [1],
[Item 3] 2oz (liquid ounces, avoirdupois, US) of Chicken egg yolk (Gallus domesticus), raw, [1],
[Item 4] 3units, medium of Cucumber (Cucumis sativus), peeled, [1][2],
[Item 5] 3units of Date (Phoenix dactylifera), natural and dry, [1],
[Item 6] 3units of Fig (Ficus carica), dried, [1][2],
[Item 7] 8oz (liquid ounces, avoirdupois, US) of Grapefruit juice (Citrus paradisi), [2][1],
[Item 8] 5units of Hazelnut, (Corylus spp.), [1][2],
[Item 9] 3units, small of Olive (Olea europea), ripe, canned, [1],
[Item 10] 1units of Apple (Malus sylvestris), no skin, [1],
[Item 11] 1table spoons of Honey, [1],
[Item 12] 2units of Mandarin (Citrus nobilis loureiro), tangerine, [2][1],
[Item 13] 12table spoons of Olive oil (Olea europea), [1],
[Item 14] 50g (grams) of Salmon (Salmo salar L.), [2][1],
[Item 15] 5units of Walnut (Juglans regia), [1][2],
[Item 16] 3lb (avoirdupois, US ounces) of Tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum), red, ripe, yr avg, [1][2][4].

Weight:.................................2230.74g

Nutrients...............................Quantity..............RDA

Energy..................................3173.70kcal .....2200.00kcal
Carbohydrate.............................274.29g ..............?g
Fat......................................228.36g ..............?g
Protein...................................40.44g ..........46.00g
Water...................................1666.76ml .............?ml
Fiber.....................................36.97g ..............?g

Vitamins
Vitamin A, RE (Retinol Equivalent).......737.21mcg .......800.00mcg
-Beta-carotene..........................2501.32mcg ............?mcg no data:1,2,3,5,9,10,11,13,14
Vitamin B1, Thiamin........................1.10mg ..........1.10mg
Vitamin B2, Riboflavin.....................1.41mg ..........1.30mg
Vitamin B3, Niacin/Nicotinamide............7.92mg .........15.00mg
Vitamin B5, Pantothenic acid...............7.84mg .............?mg no data:14
Vitamin B6, Pyridoxine.....................4.31mg ..........1.60mg
Vitamin B8, Biotin........................12.52mcg ............?mcg no data:1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,13,15
Vitamin B9, Folic acid...................415.94mcg .......180.00mcg
Vitamin B12................................3.33mcg .........2.00mcg
Vitamin C, Ascorbic acid.................249.01mg .........60.00mg
Vitamin D................................415.75IU ........400.00IU
Vitamin E.................................29.39mg ..........8.00mg
Vitamin K................................104.75mcg ........60.00mcg no data:1,2,3,5,6,7,9,10,11,12,13,14

Minerals and trace elements
Calcium, Ca..............................429.48mg .......1200.00mg
Iron, Fe..................................11.18mg .........15.00mg
Magnesium, Mg............................412.66mg ........280.00mg
Phosphorus, P............................930.72mg .......1200.00mg
Sodium, Na...............................183.45mg .............?mg
Potassium, K............................5408.21mg .............?mg
Zinc, Zn...................................6.01mg .........12.00mg
Iodide, I.................................35.71mcg .......150.00mcg no data:1,2,3,5,9,10,11,13
Selenium, Se..............................53.62mcg ........55.00mcg no data:1

Total sugar................................0.00g ..............?g no data:1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16
Glucose...................................23.79g ..............?g no data:1,2,3,5,7,8,9,10,11,13,14,15
Fructose..................................21.92g ..............?g no data:1,2,3,5,7,8,9,10,11,13,14,15
Sucrose...................................15.72g ..............?g no data:1,2,3,5,7,8,9,10,11,13,14,15
Lactose....................................0.00g ..............?g no data:1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16
Starch.....................................0.06g ..............?g no data:1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15

Fats
Fat, saturated............................33.36g ..............?g
Fat, monounsaturated.....................143.83g ..............?g no data:14
Fat, polyunsaturated......................29.80g ..............?g no data:14

Omega-3 fatty acids
18:3 n-3, linolenic acid (LNA).............3.73g ..............?g
20:5 n-3, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)......0.36g ..............?g
22:5 n-3, docosapentaenoic acid (DPA)......0.22g ..............?g
22:6 n-3, docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).......1.14g ..............?g

Cholesterol..............................798.59mg .............?mg
RRM
Administrator

Re: Am I eating enough? feeling weak n spacey

Post by RRM »

Thanks Angie.
Did you break the shells of the nuts yourself, or did they come without shell?
Also, you can't eat canned olives, as they are not raw, and almost always salt-cured.
Angie

Post by Angie »

RRM,

The olives are in a jar, have few ingredients, and say 'refrigerate after opening'. I still consider them munch food, and only eat one or two occasionally. The nuts are unshelled, for sure.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

You have to shell the nuts by hand, otherwise they've been heated in the shelling process. So even if it says "raw" on the package, don't eat unshelled nuts.