muscle or fat conversion for energy

How to prevent unwanted weightloss, and/or even gain muscles
van
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

muscle or fat conversion for energy

Post by van »

I'm still confused about whether the body will go to fat storages or muscle first for energy when blood sugar levels drop. I have been 'coached' so often by Doug Graham and others that even during prolonged periods of water fasting that little if any muslcle is lost because the body will utilize all available fat reserves, and they have even calculated how many calories are typically available in the average persons body from fat before the body then has to turn to muscle for energy. RRM where do you get your information that muscle is used first? Thanks, Van
RRM
Administrator

Re: muscle or fat conversion for energy

Post by RRM »

van wrote:I'm still confused about whether the body will go to fat storages or muscle first for energy when blood sugar levels drop.
Both.
As the body tries to limit fat-to-glucose conversion, it will for a great part use amino acids instead.
I have been 'coached' so often by Doug Graham and others that even during prolonged periods of water fasting that little if any muslcle is lost because the body will utilize all available fat reserves
Then I would be looking like a bodybuilder right now.
The body does not because if will always hold on to some fat reserves. the lower your fat percentage, the lower the fat ratio and the greater the ratio of muscle protein lost for conversion into energy.
RRM where do you get your information that muscle is used first? Thanks, Van
I didnt say that.
what I meant to say is that when the blood glucose level drops, the body will start using protein for energy.
What already happened, since it always happens, is the use of both sugars and fats for energy.
When there is no dietary glucose available, some of this glucose will come from fat (plus the fat that was already used for energy) and most of it from protein. So, both fat and protein is converted into energy and glucose when the blood glucose level is low.