Food Combining

Other than specified below
zenibee
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Food Combining

Post by zenibee »

I've been reading a lot about proper food combinations lately - the theory that different foods require diffrent digestive enzymes and thus can conflict with eachother if combined improperly and disrupt digestion. Anyways I was wondering Wai's stance on this as this theory states one should never combine protein with sweet fruits (no OJ and egg yolks :( ) or citrus fruit with sweet fruit. I'm asking because I've been feeling bloated since I started this diet(like I'm gaing weight even) and was thinking it may have something to do with what fruits I'm eating and when. Thanks!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Well, there are a few rules: no fiber after protein (within 2 to 3 hours) and some fruits are better eaten alone (papaya, passionfruit).
But it might simply be that you are ingesting too many whole fruits so that you are simply bloated because of all the fiber.
Have you tried drinking more juices instead of whole fruits? (juices without the fiber; centrifugated or sieved)
zenibee

Post by zenibee »

Where are these rules? I've read the diet book a couple of times and never noticed this...was this a thread or something? Are they any other rules other than those listed on the sample diet? Also, what if my juice is pulpy? Does this mean I can't put my egg yolks in it? And I feel like I've read in some other postings where some people pour their egg yolks on their food so is that just a big bloaty no no? What would a typical day be for you in terms of when you eat what? Sorry for all the questions I'm just still trying to get the hang of this thing. :shock:

Oh Last one...Is eating 3 avocados in one day a bad idea if I'm trying to lose weight? I just looooove them!

Thanks again![/quote]
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Fiber has to be decomposed by bacteria. If any protein is being digested at the same time, it will also be decomposed by bacteria. In this process gasses are produced (for instance H2S, which smells like rotten eggs). I think it's individually different how soon this happens. If your juice is pulpy, than there's a bigger chance you will have problems if you combine it with egg yolks. I like to have my egg yolks either separate or combined with fish, rather than with banana or OJ.

3 avocados in one day is fine. I wouldn't worry too much about your weight. If you follow the diet right and learn to listen to what your body tells you, you will get to your ideal weight. It can take some time (like a few months) because your body gradually adapts, but that's better than trying to find a quick solution.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

zenibee wrote:Where are these rules? I've read the diet book a couple of times and never noticed this...
Its mentioned a couple of times in the book not to eat fiber of yolks/fish (eg end of Ch. 45 and in the constipation appendix) and about combining fruits in Ch. 42.
Are they any other rules other than those listed on the sample diet?
Regarding gasses and constipation, there are a couple more rules / guidelines; see the How to prevent cramps / gripes? section.
I've read in some other postings where some people pour their egg yolks on their food so is that just a big bloaty no no?
Everybody is different. If you are susceptible to bloating, you just need to adhere to certain rules more strictly than others. (just as is the case regarding acne)
We can adjust your diet so that it suits your body perfectly.
What would a typical day be for you in terms of when you eat what?
I drink loads of sieved juices, partly because I dont like the effects of much fiber in my body.
zenibee

Post by zenibee »

Thanks Guys,

I will definitely read those sections on constipation and gripes but while you're here...how long after eating fiber/sugar can I eat my egg yolks? Do I also need to wait 2-3 hrs before? Also why does Wai say not to shake the yolks? I usually take the oj/oo/yolks at lunchtime at work so I just pour in the yolks with everything else and shake. It's so creamy and delicious :D

And why is it so important to strain the pulp from the juice? Is this just when mixing with protein or period. I don't even feel bloated anymore just FAT! And it's all on my stomach. I am certainly not 100% yet but I am during the week and that's when I feel the worst(fattest). I eat a lot of mangoes, avocados and walnuts though...could that be what's adding the extra weight?

Last one, for RRM especially, how long have you been on the diet and do you still experience food sensitivity to foods you weren't sensitive to before the diet. It just seems like the longer you're on the diet the less you will be able to occasionally enjoy non Wai foods or any munch foods at all for the acne sufferers.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

zenibee wrote:how long after eating fiber/sugar can I eat my egg yolks?
About 20 minutes.
I usually take the oj/oo/yolks at lunchtime at work so I just pour in the yolks with everything else and shake. It's so creamy and delicious :D
I know. Shaking protein is used in many recipes because it does something to the molecular structure, and its exactly that that may compromise protein digestion.
<James Bond>So, stirred, but not shaken.</James Bond>
And why is it so important to strain the pulp from the juice?
When you feel bloated or gassy, or if you dont like digesting all that fiber.
Otherwise its not important at all, of course.
Is this just when mixing with protein
Also, indeed.
I don't even feel bloated anymore just FAT!
Bloating makes you feel fat. (it increases the volume of your stomach, 'moving up your fat', so that it seems you have a bigger, fatter belly)
Do you feel fat or are you fat?
I am certainly not 100% yet but I am during the week and that's when I feel the worst(fattest).
Ah, then its the bloating, because your fat levels dont vary within one week.
how long have you been on the diet
since 1995/1996
do you still experience food sensitivity to foods you weren't sensitive to before the diet.
Do you mean acne?
Absolutely.
It just seems like the longer you're on the diet the less you will be able to occasionally enjoy non Wai foods or any munch foods at all for the acne sufferers.
Due to hormonal changes, most people are no longer susceptible to acne after a few years. But there are exceptions, and im one of them.
People that belong to the same group are more likely to stay on the diet, of course. Hence the correlation.
zenibee

Post by zenibee »

Thanks RRM and sorry to hear that you're still battling the face invaders. Has the Wai diet greatly improved your acne at least? I read in another post that you suffered from severe acne...what would you classify your condition as now? Do you have any posts with a more detailed account of your experiences pre/post Wai? Are you able to eat any munch food at all?

And to answer your question I AM fat! :( My stomach has definitely gotten bigger since starting this diet but maybe it is bloating because I feel like its mostly at the top of my stomach. I can't really understand why eating fruit would make my stomach bloated though. How can this diet be good for weightloss if it makes you bloated???

I'm also not experiencing the increased energy everybody keeps talking about. But I REFUSE to put refined white sugar in my juice. I know Wai says sugar can't break you out but I'm 90% sure that I've broken out from white sugar and artificial sweetners. Plus the fruit is sweet enough already. Maybe I'll juice a sugar cane and make lemonade though...when I did the lemonade diet (Master Cleanse) I felt the best physically and mentally that I have since grade school. It really broke me out though. I thought then that it was the maple syrup but maybe more so it was the cayenne pepper? Either way I really want that same feeling of lightness, clarity and energy as well as improved skin. Will a regular juice fast do that?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

zenibee wrote:sorry to hear that you're still battling the face invaders.
Actually, im happy that is the case, as it gives me all the motivation I need to be able to do the diet and not just have a clear skin but also get the health rewards for free!
Has the Wai diet greatly improved your acne at least?
It has totally cleared my skin.
But whenever I try a tiny little bit of munch food, I break out.
what would you classify your condition as now?
Potential severe acne?
Susceptible to severe acne?
Do you have any posts with a more detailed account of your experiences pre/post Wai?
Pre Wai I always had big cysts on my back and neck (up to 5 cm in diameter) and also on my face (up to 2 cm in diameter), with lots of smaller pimples, especially on my chin, around my nose and mouth, between my eyes and occasionally on my forehead.
There is no post Wai, as Im still doing it, of course.
Are you able to eat any munch food at all?
I cant eat any at all if I want to be 100% clear for sure.
Occasional I still try, and then its about a 50/50 risk. If I eat a tiny little bit of munch food a few days in a row, that risk is 100% though (I definitely break out).
I can't really understand why eating fruit would make my stomach bloated though.
Fiber. Fiber and fiber.
Fiber needs to be decomposed bacterially, which originates gasses. Thats iwhy all herbivores have a swollen belly, and carnivores do not.
How can this diet be good for weightloss if it makes you bloated???
These are 2 very different issues.
Bloating is generally caused by indigestion or gasses, from too much fiber for example, or due to bad food combining. Adapting your fiber intake to your sensitivity to developing gasses will solve that.
Overweight is caused by overeating, due to appetite enhancers.
The latter is automatically resolved by this diet, whereas the former requires adjustments of this diet, according to individual differences in fiber tolerance.
I'm also not experiencing the increased energy everybody keeps talking about.
thats due to the high fiber intake; thats requires energy without getting any from it.
But I REFUSE to put refined white sugar in my juice.
Thats your choice.
I'm 90% sure that I've broken out from white sugar
Thats impossible to tell unless you have first eliminate all possible causes of acne prior to such a test. (im sure hadnt)
So, only when you manage to make your skin 100% clear on this diet, and then incorporate white sugar in your diet, only then you have the right environment for such a test.
Maybe I'll juice a sugar cane and make lemonade though
That may very well make you break out, as it contains protein residues.
I thought then that it was the maple syrup but maybe more so it was the cayenne pepper?
Both.
I really want that same feeling of lightness, clarity and energy as well as improved skin. Will a regular juice fast do that?
No fast. Fasting is not allowed on this diet.
But if your version of this diet is greatly comprised of juices, yes it will.
Seth

Post by Seth »

RRM wrote:Pre Wai I always had big cysts on my back and neck (up to 5 cm in diameter) and also on my face (up to 2 cm in diameter), with lots of smaller pimples, especially on my chin, around my nose and mouth, between my eyes and occasionally on my forehead.
There is no post Wai, as Im still doing it, of course.
Just wondering: how long would you find the cysts took to go away or did you drain them?
RRM wrote:
Are you able to eat any munch food at all?
I cant eat any at all if I want to be 100% clear for sure.
Occasional I still try, and then its about a 50/50 risk. If I eat a tiny little bit of munch food a few days in a row, that risk is 100% though (I definitely break out).
Including something like a carrot or potato?
avo

Post by avo »

If the cyst is under the skin (only red bump visible) it can be anywhere from a couple days to a couple months. I had one right behind my ear for 2 whole months. That was two years ago, no big ones on Wai. Smaller ones, if they turn to white heads, will dry up in one or two days, and probably fall off, leaving only a red area for about a week.
zenibee

Post by zenibee »

I'm in blue : )
It has totally cleared my skin. But whenever I try a tiny little bit of munch food, I break out.
Wow. How long did it take until you were totally clear? What would you characterize your breakouts as now...a mild pimple or two or a full on breakout?
Fiber needs to be decomposed bacterially, which originates gasses. Thats iwhy all herbivores have a swollen belly, and carnivores do not.
This is not comforting! :shock: Do you and the other/most of the long time Waiers have this problem or did have it when you first started the diet?
Thats impossible to tell unless you have first eliminate all possible causes of acne prior to such a test. (im sure hadnt)
So, only when you manage to make your skin 100% clear on this diet, and then incorporate white sugar in your diet, only then you have the right environment for such a test.
True that but I do know what it feels like when my skin is reacting immediately to something and that usually only happens with soda, french fries, pizza and really sugary beverages or anything sweetened with artificial sweetener. Chocolate too but I think I may be allergic because the most severe breakouts of my life have all been chocolate related. :( I feel you though on testing to make sure.

and pure sugar cane has protein residues? Also why would pure organic grade b maple syrup break me out...too many minerals?

I'm sorry to be such a bother but I'm really trying to get this thing right and the bloating is a real deterant. Not to mention that I feel like this diet is actually increasing my sensitvity to things that never broke me out before...namely salt and spices. Maybe those things did in the fact that they increase water retention etc. but I just don't want to have to live the rest of my life without flavor. :x Acne Sucks!

Can you(or anybody willing) give me a sample of your daily menu/meal times. I think I'd do better if I had a sample schedule to put myself on.

THANKS!!!!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I had some bloating/gas in the beginning, as well as some diarrhea. After I got my diet straightened out (I stopped combining egg yolks with avocado, for instance) the bloating stopped. The diarrhea disappeared after my intestines got used to working normally again.

Your sensitivity does increase, but that's a good thing. Your body starts to recognize what's bad for it, so you won't ingest more of it.

Example:
"breakfast" = 1 banana, 1 apple, olive oil
after breakfast/afternoon = 0.5 liter/1 pint OJ, 4 tbsp sugar, olive oil
late afternoon = 0.75 avocado, 3 cherry tomatoes, olive oil
"dinner" = 100gr/0.22lbs salmon+1 egg yolk or 4 egg yolks
evening = 0.5 liter/1 pint OJ, 4 tbsp sugar, olive oil
midnight snack = 1 banana, 1 pear, olive oil

OJ is sipped over the course of a few hours. Olive oil amounts to 71ml/2.41 fluid ounces per day.

This can change a bit according to how active I am and how long my day is, so sometimes I eat an extra apple or banana with some OO.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Seth wrote:Just wondering: how long would you find the cysts took to go away or did you drain them?
As Avo said, some could take a long time, but usually it took about 2 weeks. Draining them was only possible if they were about to burst open anyway. (sorry for the explicity)
Including something like a carrot or potato?
A raw carrot doesnt make me break out of course, but, yes, a cooked carrot or potato may already be enough, and certainly will be when consumed a few days in a row.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

zenibee wrote:Wow. How long did it take until you were totally clear?
About 2 weeks, but of course I had to perform a lot of experiments to get everything straightened out, which cost me lots of break outs, of course.
For me full recovery never takes longer than 2 weeks.
What would you characterize your breakouts as now...a mild pimple or two or a full on breakout?
Depends on the experiment: Salt / spices causes big cysts with little in it. Some cooked veggies will cause a few pimples and a tiny bit of munch food will only cause some painful tiny little buggers.
No munch food / no experiments = no break outs.
Do you and the other/most of the long time Waiers have this problem or did have it when you first started the diet?
When I started to eat lots of whole fruits? Yes, thats why I changed to juices; also because it gives you more easy energy. (I need it)
True that but I do know what it feels like when my skin is reacting immediately to something
I know what you mean, but everything you mentioned causes acne for another reason than sugar.
Test and you will see.
and pure sugar cane has protein residues? Also why would pure organic grade b maple syrup break me out...
Those same residues.
I feel like this diet is actually increasing my sensitvity to things that never broke me out before...namely salt and spices.
They did, but it was impossible to notice for you as you didnt know how to clear your skin, as you didnt know what the culprits are. Ive seen this on many acne boards; people keep speculating as they never manage to keep their skin clear.
Only after you managed to eliminate ALL culprits, and keep your skin clear, you can start experimenting what really causes acne in you.
I just don't want to have to live the rest of my life without flavor.
If you look straight in the sun, you see lots of light, but at the same time, you see nothing. Only when the sun sets, or at dawn, you can see the beautiful colors.

The flavor is not in spices etc.
The flavor is disguised by spices etc.
Once you dont use 'taste-destroyers' (salt spices etc) anymore, the sensitivity of taste sensors returns to natural and you start tasting really wonderful flavors (from salmon, egg yolk, fruits etc)