random thoughts, doubts

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

random thoughts, doubts

Post by johndela1 »

I've been thinking a lot lately. My goals are staying lean as I age and living a long disease free life. I'm not concerned with acne.

Is it possible to be in optimal health by eating foods that are available with no processing at all and not have to be constantly eating? I mean no OJ sipping or no Olive Oil.

When I look to nature I see many animals that just eat a few or even one thing. Are we any different? I mean can I be healthy eating a diet of just a few items?

Low carb eating seems to make sense, but I am confused on where to get vitamin C. Fruit gives us vitamin C, but is high carb, so this makes me doubt if we are best to go with low or no carb diets.

I think fruit is one of our best foods or it is a bad thing. I've heard it called the perfect food and I've heard that it is nothing more than candy (to be avoided)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Herbivores tend to graze all day long, carnivores tend to eat more in bursts. Omnivores, like us, are somewhere in between. I think you can be perfectly healthy by eating in bursts, but it might wear out your insulin system sooner, thus decreasing your lifespan. The choice between low carb and high carb doesn't really matter (all macronutrients trigger an insulin response), it's the distribution that counts. But I might be missing something here. ;)

Btw, looking at my energy intake, I'm getting almost as much energy from fat as from carbs, so I'm not sure whether the Wai Diet (high-carb/high-fat/low-protein) is really comparable to a high-carb diet in general anyway.

The daily requirement for vit C isn't that high.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

say you have 2400 calories

if you had 100 calories an hour and added up all the insulin and compared it to eating all 2400 in one meal wouldn't there be more insulin if you broke it up? Isn't this the basis for intermittent fasting?
Christina

Post by Christina »

Hi Johndela
There supposedly have been people who underate and lived long and happy lives.
There is Norman Walker, who drank tons of sweet juice all day and lived very long.
There has been raw dairy eaters who lived very well and long.
And there have been many Asians living on lots of rice and growing old and happy.
Eskimos are low carb eaters. But they are supposed to live healthy but short lives.
And the list goes on and on. I'm sue that's what's confusing you.
The Wai promoters believe in this way. They don't do intermitted fasting because they believe it to create imbalances by causing you to overeat. They don't believe in "control/dieting". And we all know that after not eating for a day, if we eat at night, we have a huge appetite which needs to be controlled as not to binge.
I would say there is no one answer what's the "right" way. Try things and stay with what feels the best, gives you good digestion, no gas and a good mood.
But about the fruits and juices. I always rinse my mouth after fruit and drink juices with a straw. All fruitarians I know have teeth trouble. So I'm not willing to risk it!! I am about to try a more low sugar version of Wai.
It's all an experiment :wink:
Make sure you don't stick with a diet because of an idea/dogma but because you feel good.
You live in LA. Have you been to Rawsome/the Lot run by James?
Christina
Christina

Post by Christina »

About the insulin. If you eat a ton in one meal you will have so much sugar in you blood which cannot be processed by the body. The blood sugar remains high in the blood and keeps repeatedly triggering insulin. This is the process that supposedly leads to diabetes. At least this is the explanation I read somewhere on this forum.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

what is Rawsome?
Christina

Post by Christina »

It's a store in Venice-actually more a club which makes their activities legal, since it's illegal to sell some of the raw foods they carry, like ready made raw fish dishes etc.. So if you go be prepared to sign a form and pay a yearly membership of maybe $20.
It's on Rose and 7th in Venice. To the left of the coffee shop. It's open on wed. from noon until 7pm and sat. 9am-1pm. I call it the heart of the raw scene. You'll find anything raw at the store including fish, meat, cheeses, honey, nuts, fruits, dif. coconuts and ready made raw desserts and ceviches and much more. The place is packed with all kinds of interesting raw and partially raw people. I used to go there all the time when I lived in Santa Monica.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I'll check it out, thanks
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The problem is that we don't know what the lifespan for humans is. Is 100 old or could it be just 'middle-aged'? How do we judge health? In 2005 research showed that people on average had a chronic disease when they were 45. They experienced life as healthy until they were about 60, and died when they were about 80 (all these numbers are average for men and women).

Our disadvantage is we're the pioneers of the Wai Diet, which means there's no comparison yet. My mom is 76, but only on Wai for 9 months or so...I'm very curious to see how she'll be doing. So far it's all positive. :)

I'm not sure about the insulin question, but usually spreading out 'blows' lessen the impact. Maybe RRM has some more definitive numbers/calculations.

Wow, a raw club with raw fish! There's a raw club here, called the Chocolate Club :roll:, but they're vegans and serve 'standard' raw food. :?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

yea, I have been looking for other resources but most sources that are in the raw food area are usually vegan and/or recommend greens because they say fruit lacks minerals.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:say you have 2400 calories
if you had 100 calories an hour and added up all the insulin and compared it to eating all 2400 in one meal wouldn't there be more insulin if you broke it up?
Like Cristina said: When you eat all 2400 in one sitting, a very larg part needs to be stored before it is taken up again.
When you break it up, a smaller percentage is stored (a greater percentage is used for direct energy). Hence less insulin required.
However, its also possible that the insulin system cannot keep up with the overload of energy, so that not as much insulin is produced, but in that situation you are rapidly working towards diabetes.
Isn't this the basis for intermittent fasting?
Maybe you can look it up for us?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

These links seem to indicate that eating the same amount of calories but with periods of fasting are beneficial. So this means when you eat you eat a lot.

Rats living this way supposedly live longer.

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/100/10/6216
http://chetday.com/warriordietantiaging.htm
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Okinawans eat 60% calories of normal Japanese diet– 40 times as many centenarians (according to Dr Louise Phillips, Psychology of Aging lecturer at Aberdeen University)
Negativity is the cult of the weak
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

dionysus wrote:Okinawans eat 60% calories of normal Japanese diet– 40 times as many centenarians (according to Dr Louise Phillips, Psychology of Aging lecturer at Aberdeen University)
so basically they are living long because of calorie restriction not ideal diet

or at least CR is a big factor
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

I didn't imply that the 'ideal' diet wouldn't increase the probability of you becoming a centenarian.

I was just adding that according to my Health Psychology Lecturer (a secondary source it has to be remember!) CR does play a factor.

Another interesting factor to note is that the average lifespan of individuals is increase (again accoring to my secondary source Dr Phillips).

This is lecture the Okinawans source came from. Sadly, it doesn't state her source.

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~psy165/dept/2yrl ... ical07.pdf
Negativity is the cult of the weak