"raw" people?

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
Roocious
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

"raw" people?

Post by Roocious »

As I am becoming more aware and reading more and more about raw food - I'm seeing that many "raw foodists" eat tons of raw chocolate among many other things that are questionably not raw (like the use of blenders)

If the beans are toxic raw, how can they create raw chocolate?
Why don't they understand that blenders create heat?

Is there something I'm missing, or are they (as a general population) quite misguided?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The raw foodists don't really have a lot of theory/science behind their diet. They mainly believe that one should eat raw because of the enzymes "living" food contains. These enzymes help our digestion, so we can absorb the nutrients we need.
Since there is a lack of logic behind the diet, I guess it's become more of a conviction, a religion if you will. The raw food gurus are the ones who determine what is acceptable and what is not, and, like in the regular food industry, promote (and sell) the use of superfoods and/or supplements.
Roocious

Post by Roocious »

It makes me sad to see people with the right ideas taking the wrong path.

A few general questions I ask here instead of new posts in a bunch of categories -

Sugar Cubes - would it be safe to carry around some sugar cubes?

Refrigeration - does it have a drastic effect on eggs and fruits?

(if it does) how long do your eggs last out of the fridge?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Sugar cubes: sure.

I think refrigeration prolongs the edibility (or postpones the ripening). The peel of bananas tends to get black though.

Depending on how fresh the eggs are to start with, they seem to last 1-2 weeks (out of the fridge). I buy new eggs every week, for the coming week.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I've read that refrigeration can cause fruits to not ripen properly, and it's even possible for them to rot before ripening (although I've never experienced this).
I usually take out the fruits I plan to eat in the next 1 or two days, and use the fridge for long-term foods.

Sometimes if I need a fruit to ripen quick I'll put it next to the ripe bananas.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

It varies from fruit to fruit. Some fruits do fine in the fridge and others don't.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Is there some kind of list that explains which fruits refrigerate well?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I ask the guys at the farmers market where I buy my fruit. Maybe you could ask the guy where you buy your fruit (grocer or farmer). Or you can google the specific fruits as you get them and start to learn them on by one.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I use the fridge only in the summer, to delay ripening of the fruit. I do take fruits out of the fridge a day or so before eating them. Then again I usually buy fruit for one week in advance, so they don't really need to be in the fridge that long.