Chemical in Plastics Is Tied to Prostate Cancer

If your interest doesn't fit anywhere else, leave it here.
nick
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Chemical in Plastics Is Tied to Prostate Cancer

Post by nick »

Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Not good indeed. :?
Although I don't think there is (yet) a reason to panic or be overly worried. As it may well induce a predisposition towards prostate cancer, there is no proof (yet) that it causes it directly, and if other factors (like diet) play a role.
Nevertheless, caution in using products with BPA could be sensible.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Does this mean I have to stop eating baggies altogether? :D
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

avalon wrote:Does this mean I have to stop eating baggies altogether? :D
I guess so...also be careful with pacifiers... ;)
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

OK! I'm throwing out all my plastic. The thing is what do I do when I need to make a 'salad' on the go???
:?
avalon

Post by avalon »

Corinne,

If you do some checking, it is predominantly the opaque plastic, vs the clear plastic...that seems to leak into our supply. FYI :D
avalon

Post by avalon »

I guess so...also be careful with pacifiers...
I only metioned baggies :D
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Corinne wrote:OK! I'm throwing out all my plastic. The thing is what do I do when I need to make a 'salad' on the go???
:?
I have a pyrex bowl with a rubber/plastic lid that I use
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Thanks John!
Where did you get that from Avalon. I use a clear plastic container but it is microwave-safe so.... :?
avo

Post by avo »

I use a lot of pyrex stuff for eating out of, as well as ceramic and glass bowls. Occasionally I use Rubbermaid or chinese takeout containers when glass isn't practical, usually just for diced fruit and orange segments, so I don't keep it in contact for more than an hour or so, they don't last that long ;). There are lots (but not as many as several decades ago) of food products that use glass bottles/jars/containers. Sometimes I buy these products (like pickles, olives, salsas, tomato/vodka sauces, honey, Sobe, jarred fruit in syrup, mineral water, etc) just for the container they are in, if they seem high quality containers and reasonable price. Of course, there are commercial glass container sellers online, but I never get around to ordering stuff online.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

What I realized now and am concerned about it the plastic that my orange juicer is made out of. It's opaque white hard plastic. The oranges come in contact with it while squeezing and there is a lot of pressure... Not good! What to do? Buy one with metal parts? Yes but there too I think aluminum or stainless steel also 'comes off' in small quantities and gets into the food/juice.
Hum...Have to research more!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

From the article (my emphasis):
Polycarbonate, which cannot be manufactured without BPA, is a clear and shatter-free plastic. In addition to beverage bottles, utensils and food packaging, it is used in automobiles, medical equipment and compact discs.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Maybe a press is best???
avo

Post by avo »

I have a glass hand-juicer that I use only occasionally, but it is good to have it when I do decide to use it. Yes, clear plastic (like water bottles, plastic wrap, etc) is something which should be avoided, but it is not much more difficult to also avoid all plastics, except for things like juicers, blenders, processors, etc. Hopefully there will be enough demand sometime to justify new all-glass or other non-reactive material equipment. It seems that the older blenders (Oster, etc) had glass, while newer blenders have instead heeded to cheaper production and practicality that plastics offer.
nick

Post by nick »

My main concern is drinking from plastic water bottles for most of the day.
I guess I need to find a glass bottle.