Barefoot running & Alexander Technique

Breathing, sleeping, running, meditation, yoga, relaxation
Mr. PC
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Barefoot running & Alexander Technique

Post by Mr. PC »

I just bought a pair of these, http://barefootrunningshoes.org/zem-shoes/ The 02s without the lobster-claw to thing. They look more or less like water-shoes, and I'm hoping no one at my work minds.

They feel a little tight when I wear socks, but the guy who sold them to me said they *should* be tight. Compared to the vibram 5 fingers I notice they're lighter and actually feel more minimal, however when I curl my toes downward the shoes don't conform and I end up moving my toes inside of the shoe (I don't think this really matters forwalking, but with the vibrams having seperate toes I could actually bend my toes down like that).

They also feel warm, and I'm hoping they'll be ok to wear in Russia during the winter, but also to the beach (and that they won't get sand in them). I'll let you know how they compare over time.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

They look cool. Are you going to run in them too?
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I plan to use them for anything. They're my only shoes as my other shoes and sandals have fallen apart (I have this debilitating tightwaddedness with money. I really need to overcome it.) I'm thinking of getting a second pair though because I've read alternating shoes extends the life of the shoe (I assume by more than double otherwise it is of course not worth it).

I also plan to wear them while working at camp this summer, so they'll get sandy, dirty, and everything.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Looking forward to reading your experiences with them :)
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I actually like these much better than the vibrams. They feel more minimal (I can feel the heat of the ground through the soles). They really are like socks with a grippy bottem. The bottem rubber is very soft and gives a good grip, which I hope lasts (I imagine soft rubber will quickly wear out).

It's reinspiring me to learn more about Alexander technique. Everyone has told me you can't learn without a teacher however (maybe I will find a teacher who wants to learn music and we'll swap).

I'm also starting to get back into that 'light on my feet, prefering to run over walk' kindof mood, which I lost over the last month or so (though that may have been due the the nasty looks teachers give me when I'm skipping along with students who are supposed to be in line with their heads down).
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Do they give enough support to your feet, though? If they are so sock-like, I can imagine that running might be less comfy. Or do those bands give enough support?
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I'm actually not sure exactly what people mean when they say support, but I'm thinking the answeer would be close to no support. In fact, I am even getting calusses on the bottem of my feet, as if I have no shoes at all, which I think is great because it means I'll be better at doing completely barefoot outside in the long term.

But there's no problem in terms of the ground hurting the soles of your feet (I walk for 7-9 hours some days). In fact I walked to much two days ago and my feet, especially my left foot, is really hurting. I know I should rest but there's a lot I want to do. Yesterday and the day before I felt like there was a 'cracking' when I would bend my foot (not heel but foot). I don't seem to have that today though my foot is still sore.

I've also found that putting them outside on the window sill at night is a good way to ridd them of smell, because that was an issue. They are also not really waterproof, though they're not damanged by water; I think somewhat like water shoes.

When I was in a mosc yesterday my Mulsim friend made a joke that I didn't have to take them off, because they're socks, not shoes.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

By support I meant that socks with a sole tend to become loose quite fast, so they lose their support and the danger is that you start slipping inside the sock.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Ah, i have not experienced that at all. They fit my foot completely and i am never slipping inside. Ive bought an anti odor spray thought because of their smell, and one of them has got a hole in the front (i have worn these a considerable amount though and have stubbed my toe, walked on rocks and rough terrain etc. So the hole is understandable.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Cool :)
waiwilliams

Post by waiwilliams »

I also like to go barefoot. Will have to look into this a little more...thanks
dime

Post by dime »

I have minimal running shoes, pretty thin, flat sole (no drop from the heel to the toes) and very light.
http://cdn.sneakerreport.com/assets/MerrellFlux1.jpg
Calves and feet still hurt if I run too long with them, I guess I have to progress slower.

What do you guys think of this theory btw? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_ ... hypothesis
Sounds quite reasonable.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dime wrote:What do you guys think of this theory btw? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_ ... hypothesis
Sounds quite reasonable.
I dont find it convincing that we were specialized in scavenging.
In that case we would have developed a much greater capacity to sense the smell of a carcass from a long distance, i think.
I also find the section "Against persistence hunting" more convincing.
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

dime wrote:What do you guys think of this theory btw? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_ ... hypothesis

The theory (story) is nice, but it is too soft and naive of a theory (story telling), sugar coated to paint us as the alpha-hunters (own human is superior biasness), when in reality we developped running because we were predated on, but their collection of skeletal evidence is interesting.
I think they got the dates wrong. I think we developed "running" way back in history,
way way back before persistence hunting.
More like we had to run because we had to run away from predators. {dinosaurs}
Not the other way around.
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Story time:
Genesis Aytundra's version (inspired by stuff written in the Wai sites and forums) - by Aytundra
----- Once upon a time, hairy humans were much like Capuchin monkeys (Cebus species) living in jungles eating fruits and insects. The climate was hot and the air was dense. Dinosaurs florished because they can do Buteyko breathing properly, they had at least a fictional volume of CP30 too.
----- Dinosaurs laid nests of dinosaur eggs. One day a hairy monkey named "Harry" living near a nest of eggs took it and ate it. It was an easy source of food, he found it quite yummy. He went home and told his family, he even shared some with them, because it was too big of an egg. The next day not being able to forget such a delicious treat, this hairy monkey tries to look for another nest. This time not so lucky, a dinosaur mamma was nearby and hairy monkey was lunch time. This dinosaur learned hairy monkeys were good to eat. The next day the dinosaur hunted for hairy monkeys. Hairy monkeys of the tribe of Harry who had shared a meal with Harry knew the taste of dinosaur eggs. Harry's tribe went to search for Harry, and most importantly for dinosaur eggs. Harry's tribe developed the ability to sneak into dinosaur territory and steal eggs. Sometimes when they were not so lucky the mamma dinosaurs noticed them and chased them away, but not only to chase them away but also to eat them, dinosaurs easily outrunned humans with their large strides.
----- Of the survivors of Harry's tribe, they learned endurance running. To run in and steal eggs stealthily, and to run away; this process also encouraged brain development, training Harry's tribe to have more spatial memory, more rationalization skills, more planning skills...etc. all so that they may perform an egg heist; plus they have more cholesterol for their brains. Harry's tribes also flourished more rapidly than other chimp tribes because of this food source. Eventually their raw egg eating behaviour, caused them to loose hair from consuming raw avidin. Harry's tribe became hairless. He was called Hairless Henry. His more exposed and sensitive skin, meant a more exposed foot. With all that running Harry's tribe had to do, to obtain dinosaur eggs, they eventually figured out they needed sandels. So they gave up barefoot running. Hence, Henry's tribe became more civilized "shoe wearing" and more human like.
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!