Fasting during the morning and (some part of) the afternoon, eating at night
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Wai Warrior - for autophagy - AN EXPERIMENT

Post by RRM »

@ Oscar,

You asked me how much energy comes from the cleaning up process,
and whether that doesn't come to an end after a while (because most is cleaned up),
but I think most energy actually comes from saving energy by repairing (instead of rebuilding) much more efficiently.
To stay with the same analogy as before:
It doesn't matter if little damage happens to the house on a daily basis ('broken windows').
Its not so much that your body gets a lot of energy from 're-using the energy from the occasional broken window',
but its about how much energy it saves every day by not having to rebuild many entire cells ('houses'),
simply by preventing the need to rebuild cells ('houses'),
as each new damage is quickly fixed.
dime

Post by dime »

Makes a lot of sense, it's much cheaper to fix a broken window than build a whole house.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yes, I understand. :)
What I was wondering though is whether the amount of autophagy needed will be less after a while. So, staying with the analogy, in the beginning a lot of repairs are needed in the house, but after they are all done, it's a matter of maintenance like you mentioned. It seems to me, that the amount of autophagy will be less, so the daily fasting time can be less too. No idea if there is a way of knowing how much time will be ideal at any given time, though.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Even when you fast, oxidants continue to damage organelles,
so that autophagy will be 'needed' 24/7.
The more you fast, the more cell damage will be repaired.
Sure, the added effect will get smaller and smaller, but still there is benefit to every extra minute that you fast.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Sure. It does depend on the numbers though, which (I suppose) aren't known at the moment. Under such circumstances fasting as long as possible is always the best, just in case.
Nina75

Post by Nina75 »

Is it safe to sometimes change the hours of juice consumption ..???

Let me explain, most of the time and with success in the energy levels of food intake occurs only from 19h-20h until 23h 00h.

So Wai warrior for 18-19 hours most of the time ....

But sometimes it happens that I really really need energy in the afternoon. Need a lot of energy for an afternoon very very speed .... And it helps me. But most of the time it is 18-19h.

So .... can sometimes change and take the juice to 14-15h without any problems? I mean when most of the time the juice and fish at night from 19 to 20 hours we take ...... This poses no problems have days where we take 14-15h ?

Thks
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Nina75 wrote:Is it safe to sometimes change the hours of juice consumption ..???
Absolutely.
So, on some days you will initiate no or very little autophagy,
and on other days you will evoke a lot of autophagy.
That's perfectly fine.
liondolphin

Post by liondolphin »

so it is understood that you gotta eat as soon as you finish exercising right?

the issue i have with that is my heart rate is still pretty fast

is that healthy - with regards to eating while hb is still 80 plus and beyond?

and is driving a form of exercise? i mean with all the stress of lookin out for reckless drivers, i find my heart rate quite fast after that.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

liondolphin wrote:so it is understood that you gotta eat as soon as you finish exercising right?
the issue i have with that is my heart rate is still pretty fast
Ha ha, its okay to wait a minute or two!
is that healthy - with regards to eating while hb is still 80 plus and beyond?
Sure, but a little inconvenient maybe.
The high rate hb will go down quickly.
and is driving a form of exercise?
No, that's just stress.
There is no increase in energy use.
liondolphin

Post by liondolphin »

is there a link between autophagy and stress? if you follow the wai warrior faithfully but have a lot of stress from work, it make the good effects of autography useless, no?

i also just did some brief readin of the original warrior diet. it consist of 20hr undereating where you are still allowed to eat very lightly, and a 4hr overeating phase. why didn't the wai warrior follow that? instead wai warrior is all about just one single big meal b4 sleeping.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

liondolphin wrote:is there a link between autophagy and stress? if you follow the wai warrior faithfully but have a lot of stress from work, it make the good effects of autography useless, no?
Useless, no.
Stress does damage, yes.
Exercise and fasting-induced autophagy cleans up damage.
Without the cleaning up, the effects of stress are worse.
So, if you have a lot of stress, you better do Wai Warrior, to minimize the bad effects.

Stress also evokes autophagy, as in nature, stress comes with a 'fight or flight response',
requiring a lot of energy (to run or to fight).
Stress at the office does not come with this physical response (it would be physically healthier though).
Stress-induced autophagy (without fasting / exercise / running / fighting) actually feeds tumors Ding YP et al
as autophagy frees up nutrients (required by fasting / exercise).
the original warrior diet. it consist of 20hr undereating where you are still allowed to eat very lightly, and a 4hr overeating phase. why didn't the wai warrior follow that? instead wai warrior is all about just one single big meal b4 sleeping.
The idea is maximizing (fasting- or exercise-induced) autophagy. Any intake of sugars / protein inhibits autophagy.
Another aspect is minimizing dental erosion. What matters is the number of meals, as each (big or small) meal is an attack on your teeth. Eating nothing during (a big part of) the day leaves a lot of time for recovery.
liondolphin

Post by liondolphin »

sometimes i feel so exhausted after exercising that i just wanna go to sleep first. is it okay to take a short nap/sleep before starting that one meal?
dime

Post by dime »

You can eat a little bit, nap, then eat the rest.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Exactly, but it must be a substantial intake before napping / sleeping.
Otherwise the body will not be inclined to 'waste' energy on muscle expansion.
fictor

Post by fictor »

I havent had the time to drop by here in quite a few months, and it was really funny to read this thread, as I have also experimented with intermittent fasting lately! :)

However, my diet and my results was a bit different than yours, RRM:

-I began by changing from a typical Wai diet (whole fruits, juice, some dried fruits, olove oil, cocnut oil, avocado-salads and egg yolks) to a raw anti-candida diet (for a few months I have bee experiencing gas and bloating like I never did before, so I thought I might give it a try). The diet I changed to, at new years, was a diet consisting of avocadoes, bell peppers, kale, cucumber and raw fish. I ate 5-7 meals a day, plus the fish in the evening, before going to bed. This had no effect on acne, but it dident really have an effect on the gas and stomach discomfort either.

-After a month or two, I tried to do intermittent fasting, on the same type of diet. I used the "leangains" system, with 16 hours of fasting, and a 8 hour eating window. I fasted all day, and ate one meal consisting of 2 avocados, bell pepper and kale before workout (in the evening), and two more meals like it, directly after. Then I ate the fish (I can only eat about 60 grams without braking out). This regimen gave me more acne. I suspected it was due to muscle breakdown during the days, resulting in high blood protein levels. Because of this, I stopped, and went back to my anit-candida regimen. However, during the fasting period, which lasted only about 2-3 weeks, my strength increased, especially in bench press.

-Now, still on the avocado, bell pepper and kale-diet, I still experience gas, but the acne has somewhat stabilized again. I have kept the extra strenght that I got during the fasting, and gained about 5 kilos of weight. Today, I actullay thought of going back to the regular Wai diet again, that is why I dropped by the forum. Now, however, I am curious to try intermittent fasting, but with fruit juice and egg yolks instead of veggies.In that regard, I have a few questions:

-Will it be fine to fast for "just" 16 hours at the time? Would that allow enough time for autophagy?

-Have you not experienced any worsening of your skin during the fasting, from increased blood protein levels due to muscle breakdown, or any other reasons?

-Could substances in the bell pepper and kale, or perhaps the fiber, have caused the protein from the fish I ate to not be fully digested, thus causing acne?

-Could my digestive problems be caused by something else than candida? I have been on this diet for months (only cheating a few times, by drinking a little wine and eating some dates), and the problems are still present. Maybe I have some kind of stomach infection?

I will probably try this, but I am uncertain if I should go back to a regular wai diet frist, or straight to intermittent fasting.